Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where to find a pop-top?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find a pop-top? Reply with quote

CanStan wrote:
I've parted out 3 Vanagon Westfalias over the past 5 or 6 years, all with decent, complete pop tops. I was able to sell 2 of them for around $100 each, but it took about 6 months for them to sell. The third top went to the dump. I live in a decent sized city with a pretty good Vanagon scene, and apparently nobody is interested in them.

In theory, there should be lots around considering how many of these vans rotted into oblivion and got parted out. But I think most people don't want to hang on to a part that big, which takes up so much storage space and has such low value.

I'm surprised. I remember when the going price was free - because the scrap metal yard wouldn;t take the pop top - then they were $300 or so and lately I've seen even incomplete tops list for $1,000 and people were getting in line in the comments section.

Someone listed a roof without the luggage carrier and missing the rear hinges for $700 and people were commenting good price and if it were nearer to me, etc. Yet, finding the missing luggage carrier locally could prove near impossible.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find a pop-top? Reply with quote

You should advertise your next pop-top in Vancouver, Victoria, Bellingham, Seattle and Portland. Anyone with a tin-top could drive out to Cowtown and fetch the pop-top easily.
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find a pop-top? Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
CanStan wrote:
I've parted out 3 Vanagon Westfalias over the past 5 or 6 years, all with decent, complete pop tops. I was able to sell 2 of them for around $100 each, but it took about 6 months for them to sell. The third top went to the dump. I live in a decent sized city with a pretty good Vanagon scene, and apparently nobody is interested in them.

In theory, there should be lots around considering how many of these vans rotted into oblivion and got parted out. But I think most people don't want to hang on to a part that big, which takes up so much storage space and has such low value.

I'm surprised. I remember when the going price was free - because the scrap metal yard wouldn;t take the pop top - then they were $300 or so and lately I've seen even incomplete tops list for $1,000 and people were getting in line in the comments section.

Someone listed a roof without the luggage carrier and missing the rear hinges for $700 and people were commenting good price and if it were nearer to me, etc. Yet, finding the missing luggage carrier locally could prove near impossible.

Holy crap! Maybe it’s dependant on which part of the world you’re in? I’m in a city of ~1.3 million people and there are TONS of Vanagons around here. Yet, next to zero interest in them. But like I said, all it takes is one person who needs it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find a pop-top? Reply with quote

Last time I was in Canada was for the Grateful Dead.
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find a pop-top? Reply with quote

Canada - we're like...America's pop-top. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: l00kin fer a pop top Reply with quote

Smurf wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

i have a roof section from a camper but no pop top

You don’t hear that too often…selling?

i'll shoot you a p/m. i don't want to turn this into a classified ad

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find a pop-top? Reply with quote

I sold mine pretty quickly in Seattle for something between $1,000 and $1,500. There were Yakima towers and bars as part of the deal and the price migrated so I don't recall the final price. That was 2016 with multiple callers.

@Captain Pike, consider getting in touch with NAHT installers, I'm guessing half of those vans are deleting a pop-top.

CanStan wrote:
dobryan wrote:
Actually has lots of value. I see $1000 to $1500 regularly.

I agree that it has lots of value. But only to the guy looking for it. If someone doesn’t need it, they’re unlikely to even take it for free. For the average person with an average home, there’s lots of room to store boxes of spare parts. But where would most people store a chunk of fibreglass the size of a van?
I know I’ve seen lots of tops listed for $1000 or $1500, but I don’t know if they’re steadily selling at those prices? I guess if you have the only top for sale within 1000 miles, and someone is desperate for one, they will pay whatever they have to.

One of the tops I sold for $100 was back up for sale a year later because I assume he abandoned the project. He had it listed for well over a year (maybe even 2 years) before I lost track of it.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find a pop-top? Reply with quote

RoryGirl wrote:

Where's the laugh/like button?

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find a pop-top? Reply with quote

RoryGirl wrote:

America stores their good beer and universal health care in their pop top?

Don’t let this get political…..
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find a pop-top? Reply with quote

Cream rises, dregs sink. Although good beer and Canada in the same is a bit mysterious.

From wikipedia, canadian beer appears to be a good prop for beer pong...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/list]

Abscate wrote:

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Where to find a pop-top? Reply with quote

I've got a poptop "reserved" for way more than $100 !

Maybe we need to renegotiate! Shocked Laughing

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Where to find a pop-top? Reply with quote

I find pop tops in the fridge

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Where to find a pop-top? Reply with quote

No tops in the Vanagon holy land in Va.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Where to find a pop-top? Reply with quote

Try Complete Auto Repair in Staunton VA, I got mine from him and he was great to work with. He's a NAHT installer, so may have inventory, who knows.
sphet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Where to find a pop-top? Reply with quote

Next top in Calgary that is quality I’ll look at it. I’m tempted to replace mine for a number of reasons but in Vancouver they’re hard to find or expensive for being in bad shape.

S
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find a pop-top? Reply with quote

Touchdown.
Now I just have to go get it. Love a road trip. I will post pix of the butchery when the time comes.
So this build when finished will be a 91 Tornado Red regeared 3/4(Weddle) Stick trans with a'92 Subaru SVX 230HP. Added Westy top with restructured roof crossmembers. Standard interior. Swivel seats when I find them.
Will also be fully PA inspected.
This is what happens when your hunger returns. 10 years, 10 years without the addiction/satisfaction.
Take the Orphan and make a Super Hero. Twisted Evil Applause
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: