Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bullet Blinkers
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Bullet Blinkers Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

Searched the forum and couldn't find what I was looking for. I have a 68 KG, but the PO welded on 70 fenders on this thing. I'd like to install the bullet style turn signals but am needing a couple measurements. Here is a diagram. Basically I just need the measurements from the edge of the headlight (no chrome ring please) to the center of the middle and top holes. Figured I could figure out the rest.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks in advance!
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Bullet Blinkers Reply with quote

My '64 Cabrio with the "mid-year" bullet blinkers like yours is in the garage and assembled. I measured in the wheelwell from the underside of the headlight bucket. The top hole is 1 5/8" down; the center of the large hole is 2 3/4" down from the bucket.

If another person has a '64 1/2 Ghia that has the blinkers off so that he can measure the bare holes from the outside of the fender, his measurements would be slightly more accurate than mine.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Bullet Blinkers Reply with quote

Thanks Rome... Yeah, was hoping to get measurements from the front.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Bullet Blinkers Reply with quote

BTW,
early during the "66 resto, I tested the early bullets (screws with chrome ring) with the late bullets (screws though the lens plastic) and found the holes lined up the same.

I thought you'd find that useful.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Bullet Blinkers Reply with quote

The PO welded up the square blinker openings on the fenders.

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Bullet Blinkers Reply with quote

Although not the measurement I was hoping for, this may just do the trick...

djkeev wrote:
Ok, didn't take off the light but....

1969, I'm 3rd owner, I KNOW it is 100% original, unmolested.

I Removed the headlamp trim ring and it measures 1 1/8" from the center of the bezel screw hole to the TOP of the chrome bullet housing where it meets the rubber seal. This was an easy to measure exact dimension.

Hope this makes sense and helps you.

Dave

Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Bullet Blinkers Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Hello everyone,

Searched the forum and couldn't find what I was looking for. I have a 68 KG, but the PO welded on 70 fenders on this thing. I'd like to install the bullet style turn signals but am needing a couple measurements. Here is a diagram. Basically I just need the measurements from the edge of the headlight (no chrome ring please) to the center of the middle and top holes. Figured I could figure out the rest.

Thanks in advance!

Were you ever able to get measurements for this? The only rust on my front fenders was behind the two turn signal seals. It's almost like these seals do a better job trapping water, because my 64 donor car had the same problem. Neither side was in good enough shape to get clear centers of any of the holes. I've welded in a patch, and now I need to re-drill these holes and am looking for the measurements. If anyone can fill in the measurements on xzener's photo I would be massively thankful!

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Bullet Blinkers Reply with quote

I just measured between the bottom of the headlight ring and the top of the bumper and put the 'wire hole' in the middle between the two. To get a 'center line' I used some string with a nut and hung it down from the top of the headlight long enough to 'transfer' the line to fender.

VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Bullet Blinkers Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
I just measured between the bottom of the headlight ring and the top of the bumper and put the 'wire hole' in the middle between the two. To get a 'center line' I used some string with a nut and hung it down from the top of the headlight long enough to 'transfer' the line to fender.

I appreciate it, but unfortunately my car is completely disassembled, in etching primer, and I don't have any bumpers at the moment to test fit. Ideally I'd like to drill these holes before it gets painted.
Anyone with a disassembled car able to take measurements?

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Bullet Blinkers Reply with quote

You're in luck, sort of. My '68 Ghia just came back from the paint booth last week. I measured using a Bates metal ruler (cork backed) on the METRIC side as it made most sense. I tucked the end of the ruler under the painted, welded to the fender headlight mounting ring to hold the curve. Ready?

The upper mounting hole is 47mm O.C. measured down from the mentioned H/L retaining ring. Hole diameter for both mounts is approx. 6mm.

The spread between the two mounting holes is 72mm. O.C.

The middle hole for the wires, despite common thought, is not centered. It is approx. 42mm On Center below the upper mounting hole- thus it is correct if closer to the bottom mounting hole. It is an approx. 20mm in diameter.

Again, my car is in fresh SS paint so I may be slightly off in hole diameters- but it sure looks right when painted.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Bullet Blinkers Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
You're in luck, sort of. My '68 Ghia just came back from the paint booth last week. I measured using a Bates metal ruler (cork backed) on the METRIC side as it made most sense. I tucked the end of the ruler under the painted, welded to the fender headlight mounting ring to hold the curve. Ready?

The upper mounting hole is 47mm O.C. measured down from the mentioned H/L retaining ring. Hole diameter for both mounts is approx. 6mm.

The spread between the two mounting holes is 72mm. O.C.

The middle hole for the wires, despite common thought, is not centered. It is approx. 42mm On Center below the upper mounting hole- thus it is correct if closer to the bottom mounting hole. It is an approx. 20mm in diameter.

Again, my car is in fresh SS paint so I may be slightly off in hole diameters- but it sure looks right when painted.

Excellent, thank you!

Previously owned:
John Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Bullet Blinkers Reply with quote

1965 Vert
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Bullet Blinkers Reply with quote

John Ghia wrote:

1965 Vert

Yes, perfect!!! Thank you!!!

Previously owned:
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Bullet Blinkers Reply with quote

So based on hitest's and John Ghia's info, I think this should be just about right, give or take a mm.

Previously owned:
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Bullet Blinkers Reply with quote

Right on sir!

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: