Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'71 SB Rear window
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ST Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:10 am    Post subject: '71 SB Rear window Reply with quote

So I found out there was a mid year change on the '72 SB and the rear window is taller than the earlier vehicles.

I learned this after buying a new window to replace the broken defroster. This one https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D111%2D845%2D501%2DK
is not tall enough.

So far I think this window is the one I need.
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D111%2D845%2D501%2DRC

Can anyone confirm?

Other sources? I wasn't having much luck elsewhere.

And then what seal is the correct one?
Who has good metal trim for it?

The trim and seal I got from CIP wasn't fitting The other window well and the trim doesn't look long enough for the taller window. And while the quarter window trim did fit, I wonder if there's a better option that what CIP sells. The corners don't fit well and I saw Chris V. mention some trim having different shape in the corners and not just the same shape the whole length.

Links from multiple sources would be appreciated.
I have some other parts to order and wanted to minimize the number of place I have to purchase from.

Last edited by ST Dog on Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:37 am; edited 1 time in total
lboos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: '71 SB Rear window Reply with quote

St Dog,
I have a 71 and a 72 sb, the 72 does have a larger rear window, on my 71, I needed to replace the back seal, I ordered a rear seal from west cost metrics and told him about the diff. size windows, he said yes that he knows that diff.
the seal was a pain in the ass to install on the glass, takes a little time, a very tight fit, I ordered the Calif. style [no chrome] as I have heard that the chrome was a pain also.
Forget those videos on using weed eater cord to install the window, there too small and just slip out, go with a larger cord. I used windex as a lub. good luck.
ST Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: '71 SB Rear window Reply with quote

lboos wrote:
St Dog,
I have a 71 and a 72 sb, the 72 does have a larger rear window, on my 71

OK so is the late '71 the same as the '72?

I measured today and the glass I need is 18" tall, while the one I bought is only 16".

And nothing on the rest, like where go get the correct glass or who makes/sells gne best trim.
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: '71 SB Rear window Reply with quote

I never heard of this being a mid year change. I have been under the assumption that all 71 Supers have the smaller rear window, and the change came when the 72 model year started. What are the first 3 digits of your VIN? What is the build date of your car?

Like anything else, you are going to have to shop around for quality. Jbugs has the 72 seal and trim, but not sure of quality. Also note that this is also the same seal as a 53-57 Bug WINDSHIELD, so that may open your options on where to shop.
ST Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: '71 SB Rear window Reply with quote

raydog wrote:
I never heard of this being a mid year change. I have been under the assumption that all 71 Supers have the smaller rear window, and the change came when the 72 model year started. What are the first 3 digits of your VIN? What is the build date of your car?

It was new to me too. I started looking around and found this on a few listings at Wolfsburg West.
"1971 (1971 standard and Super Beetles starting at chassis # 1112799843) -1977 standard and Super Beetle"

for example
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113853355F

My VIN is 111310xxxx not sure about the date. I looked it up before and I think it was March 1971.

It also doesn't have the impossible to find one piece rear vents that were '71 only. It's got the 3 separate rear vents on each side.

Quote:
Like anything else, you are going to have to shop around for quality. Jbugs has the 72 seal and trim, but not sure of quality.

I know plenty of sources for the seals. Just need the correct size (so look for 72?) and it needs to have the slot for metal trim, not the plastic.

Bigger issue is sourcing the window. So far CIP1 is the only place I've found for either size with the defroster.

And who makes/sells the best trim pieces. I heard there was a maker with properly shaped corners where it's wider around the bends and fits better instead of just a C channel.

This all started because the plastic trim that was in the quarter windows (front and rear had allergy be replaced w/o trim) had shrunk and tore the old hardened seals. And one of the things I like about old cars is the bright trim.
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: '71 SB Rear window Reply with quote

Well that explains a lot. My Super is 111254XXXX and I have the small rear glass with the three fresh air vents.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: