Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

installing autometer phantom tach, help!
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wardyl36
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:04 am    Post subject: installing autometer phantom tach, help! Reply with quote

I just got the tach installed, when I started the car I didn't get any signal at the tach. What could be the issue? Ive installed the rebel wiring kit and ran 12+ from ignition switch, 12v for lights, ground wire and the purple wire that says tach to the negative side of the coil??
Also adjusted 2 switches in tach to account for it being a 4 cylinder.
thanks for your help
Warren
air_cooled75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: installing autometer phantom tach, help! Reply with quote

First thing to look at is the connection at the coil. Double check you have it on the negative side, its the side with the green wire going to the distributor. Next you need to confirm you have 12v from the ignition by using a test light or DMM.

I put one in for many years but I think I got my switched 12v from the fuse that the wiper motor is on. Since I know the wipers are only powered when the ignition is turned on and its a constant 12v
wardyl36
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: installing autometer phantom tach, help! Reply with quote

I have the connection on the negative side, with the green wire. Connected the 12v switch to the ignition switch.
air_cooled75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: installing autometer phantom tach, help! Reply with quote

If you've tested the + wire you have going to the tach and have constant 12v with the ignition on the only other thing I can think of checking is the ground. Where did you run the ground wire?
wardyl36
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: installing autometer phantom tach, help! Reply with quote

I have grounding block that I have all the grounds going to, should I ground it directly on the battery? I will check the voltage output on the 12v wire at tach.
thanks
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: installing autometer phantom tach, help! Reply with quote

wardyl36 wrote:
I have grounding block that I have all the grounds going to, should I ground it directly on the battery?

check first if the grounding block you used (and the battery negative as well, while you are at it) has continuity to the engine case (i.e. where the coil is grounding). The transmission ground strap may be loose or worn and some resistance may not affect the engine operation but bust the tach signal.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: installing autometer phantom tach, help! Reply with quote

You said you ran the ground wire and purple wire to neg. side of coil...that's your problem the neg. side isn't a ground.
wardyl36
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: installing autometer phantom tach, help! Reply with quote

No, I ran the ground wire to the body ground and the purple wire to negative at coil. I didn't put the two together. Sorry for confusion
Warren
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: installing autometer phantom tach, help! Reply with quote

So are you running points or pertronix type mod. in dist.? Best to ground next to power supply to reduce residence.
air_cooled75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: installing autometer phantom tach, help! Reply with quote

I looked at the wiring diagram that Autometer has on the website for the Phantom series tachs. Looks like there are two +12V terminals on the back. One on the left and one on the right, both on the bottom row of terminals. I'm not sure what the difference is but which one do you have the 12v from the ignition connected too? The diagram shows the 12v going to the left side of the tach below the signal input.

Maybe you have the +12v on the wrong side of the tach?
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: installing autometer phantom tach, help! Reply with quote

wardyl36 wrote:
I just got the tach installed, when I started the car I didn't get any signal at the tach. What could be the issue? Ive installed the rebel wiring kit and ran 12+ from ignition switch, 12v for lights, ground wire and the purple wire that says tach to the negative side of the coil??

Please clarify, which purple wire are you using??

Below is one of the pages I found for the Rebel gauge wiring:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It shows a purple wire from the Rebel harness from the ignition switch (50) to the starter solenoid (50). I hope this is not the wire you are using?

I would note that the Rebel harness seems to have a dedicate circuit for "Gauges". Is this the power source you are using for your tachometer or have you run a dedicated wire from the ignition switch?
Does your gauge "power up"? Many modern tachometers have an initialization step where the needle sweeps from min to max. The confirms the gauge is properly powered up. If you gauge is supposed to do this but you don't see it the problem is with the power up and not the connection to the coil. You may even try bench testing the gauge by connecting just the 12v+ and ground wires to a known good power source and ground. Does the gauge initialize?

In this PDF for the Autometer Phantom tachometer it shows a green wire from the tach to the ignition coil (-) terminal.
https://www.autometer.com/pub/media/manual/2650-1139.pdf
Are you using this wire? From what I can tell the Rebel harness does not contain a dedicated tachometer wire so you should be using the wire included with the Autometer gauge, right?
There are many different Phantom tachometers. Can you post the specific wiring for your model? Or post a pic of your installation manual showing the purple wire?
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
wardyl36
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: installing autometer phantom tach, help! Reply with quote

finally got it figured out, had a brain lapse. After removing and reconnecting it looks like I had put the tach wire on the spot for the 12+ connection and vise versa. Thanks for all you guys help, much appreciated.
Warren
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: