Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DIY car cover?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
J1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:18 pm    Post subject: DIY car cover? Reply with quote

My Ghia has been kicked out of the garage. I’ve had multiple car covers including the one from KGPR and other mid range covers. At most they’ve lasted about 6 months before leaving a pile of dust everywhere.

I know there are the $500 covers made with Sunbrella (acrylic) that is very durable. I have a patio cover made from Sunbrella that is still in one piece after a decade.

I’m thinking of buying some Olefin material which is supposed to be about the same durability as Sunbrella for about $200 to DIY.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: DIY car cover? Reply with quote

J1 wrote:
My Ghia has been kicked out of the garage. I’ve had multiple car covers including the one from KGPR and other mid range covers. At most they’ve lasted about 6 months before leaving a pile of dust everywhere.

I know there are the $500 covers made with Sunbrella (acrylic) that is very durable. I have a patio cover made from Sunbrella that is still in one piece after a decade.

I’m thinking of buying some Olefin material which is supposed to be about the same durability as Sunbrella for about $200 to DIY.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I’ve been doing some research of car covers especially for outside and one argument is they do more harm than good. They hold in moisture, scratch the paint, etc. The best option is to buy a temporary structure to shelter it like a canopy if that’s feasible.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: DIY car cover? Reply with quote

I guess it depends where you live. Here in SoCal the sun is brutal, it'll strip your paint in a few years. But it's not damp.

I have the KGPR cover right now and it's holding up fine for now but for sure it won't last years.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: DIY car cover? Reply with quote

tommu wrote:
I guess it depends where you live. Here in SoCal the sun is brutal, it'll strip your paint in a few years. But it's not damp.

I have the KGPR cover right now and it's holding up fine for now but for sure it won't last years.

Destroys tyres too...needs to be a complete cover.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mooopers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: DIY car cover? Reply with quote

I've had pretty good success with a good car cover (very waterproof and breathable). Then I put on a very good quality heavy duty tarpaulin all strapped down (weather depending). It also needs to be on gravel or concrete for good drainage. Make sure the car is clean before any of this. I can be a bit of hassle every time you wanna use it. The problem with car covers is without a doubt UV. It absolutely destroys them that's what the tarp is for.

Other choice is a temporary garage tent of sorts.

Neither is great long term but its not expensive.
1969 T2 Deluxe
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: DIY car cover? Reply with quote

After MANY different covers for my old cars- the latest one for the Ghia was purchased on eBay from "thecoverfactory" - it really is waterproof and breathable! and it is very soft on the car side...
But - I think the key is the carport is usually parked under Wink
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY car cover? Reply with quote

Go pull the cover off your barbecue. See the wear? Now imagine your paint.

1- A tarp, especially plastic, is the worst solution on this or any earth. They work great under tents and on the way to the dump with your tree trimmings.

2- A fitted cover, while nice, sits and rubs. If you wax your car more often than your bikini region- you're perhaps okay.

3- Auto paint is made to withstand elements. A canopy over the car is the safest bet all around.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
J1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY car cover? Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments. I'm in SoCal under all these UV rays, so I have a good idea what will last and what won't. You pretty much get what you pay for.

A hard canopy was certainly a consideration but it may be a bit of an eyesore in my neighborhood.

I could dish out the $500-600 for a durable UV proof car cover, but I'm a damn cheapskate! I suppose if it lasts me 5 years, it will be money well spent. Come to think of it, that may be all I need it to last since most of my kids may be out of the house by then and I can reclaim my garage.

I may still pursue a DIY car cover because, well, I'm always up for learning something new. FYI, I'm considering one of the Olefin products here... https://www.fabricguru.com/solid-outdoor
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY car cover? Reply with quote

I built this in about 2013 and Ill get another 10 years + out of it. Its just one of those frames from a formerly material covered carport thingy. Now with corrugated metal top. Frame came free, materials were just north of $200. Once my project DC is painted I will put up some sides too. No complaints from neighbors, depends on your yard set-up. GL J1.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: