Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seized 2276 - rebuild advice please
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Seized 2276 - rebuild advice please Reply with quote

Evan, How do you like the 252? Enough low end for you? I know you were concerned about that when you changed your mind away from the 86a. How quiet is the combo?
Dan
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Seized 2276 - rebuild advice please Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock wrote:
Evan, How do you like the 252? Enough low end for you? I know you were concerned about that when you changed your mind away from the 86a. How quiet is the combo?
Dan

I have no regrets whatsoever! I'm very glad I ended up going for the hotter cam. That being said I have nothing to really compare it to. Based on my limited experience, I could imagine the 86A being a good choice in a smaller engine or heavy Bus scenario, at least for my purposes.

I do live in the hills and I can tell you my bug now tears up steep inclines with ease. With the stock single port I had to basically give it full throttle all the time and it would lug very easily. Now I barely have to touch the pedal around town in traffic.

As far as the noise, it sounds quiet to me. I can't hear any valve noice except for the first minute or two when its cold it's very faint...
I've been busy with life and actually getting the car on the road so I'm behind updating my build thread but I asked my music studio recording friend to bring over his fancy mic setup and we took a good video w/ proper high quality sound. I will be updating my thread over the next couple weeks and that will be included.
55rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Seized 2276 - rebuild advice please Reply with quote

I measured my #1 and #3 bearings again today and they are both at 2.1690 with the journals at 2.1645 so my clearance is .0045 which is at the high side of being in spec. Should I find another set of bearings or is this gap acceptable?
18 GTI
Some beat up British bikes
55rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Seized 2276 - rebuild advice please Reply with quote

Also, I was going through my old stash of engine parts and found a standard bearing set from Metal Leve. These are probably from the early 90's which is the last time I built an engine. Would these be a better option than the Silverline or Mahle blue box that I have now?

Thanks
18 GTI
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Seized 2276 - rebuild advice please Reply with quote

Those are probabaly as good or better than the Silverline but as always measure them of course.
55rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Seized 2276 - rebuild advice please Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice...

Does anyone have thoughts on the main bearing tolerances? Thank you
18 GTI
55rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Seized 2276 - rebuild advice please Reply with quote

Looks like my post didn't come through.

I bought another set of Silverline main bearings to see if I could get a tighter fit but they were actually looser so I'll be using the first set. Would there be any benefit to replacing the #3 bearing with the split steel backed bearing?

Also, I dissected my old motor a little more and had to use a puller on #1 main. When I bought this motor it had already been broken in but the cam went flat after a few miles. The builder took it back and replaced the cam but I'm pretty sure he didn't replace bearings or do anything but clean it up. That's probably where all the journal scouring came from. After that it ran fine until the bearing seized. Can anyone tell by the pictures why?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks,
Jason
18 GTI
55rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Seized 2276 - rebuild advice please Reply with quote

I finally found some time to work on the motor today. I cleaned up the case a bit and wanted to fit the crank with bearings in the case. The crank is real tight and doesn't spin freely and this is just in a case half. The bearings were seated in the case but it looks like #2 bearing has slight shiny marks at the split. See the pic.

Any ideas on how to resolve this? I did check the crank for run out and it is true.

Thanks for the help
18 GTI
55rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Seized 2276 - rebuild advice please Reply with quote

Sunday morning help....Does anyone have a suggestions for things to check on why the crank is tight in the case? Or should i have the machine shop check for line bore? Thank you
18 GTI
M. Notary
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Seized 2276 - rebuild advice please Reply with quote

55rag wrote:
Sunday morning help....Does anyone have a suggestions for things to check on why the crank is tight in the case? Or should i have the machine shop check for line bore? Thank you

Quick check...Pull the crank and bearing out and slide the bearing on the crank.

Buy a set of Starrett micrometers and start measuring. Two important words, micrometer and Starrett.

The bearings in the Blue Kolbenschmidt box are best. Silverline is 3rd.

The photo of the main bearing with the alignment dowel hole crushed into the bearing is why it seized... I hope you were just joking about why it seized. Set the bearing in the case by it self, aligned in the dowel, and mark the bearing. Helps on assembly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Seized 2276 - rebuild advice please Reply with quote

There is a lot of yap here for nothing. Are you guys going to help build this engine?

If you want to see if the crank will spin by hand, just use the #1 and #3 bearings - lay them 3 parts in the case and check. Do not use the split bearing for spinning check - will need to be crushed by the other casehalf to spin the crank properly.

What you should be doing is the put all the bearings on the crank and close the case w/ minimal torque. Make it all even torque setting. Spin the crank then see if it spins freely.

this is a stroker = so you will do several trial-assembly before you glue it together. DO NOT BUILD THIS LIKE YOU DO STOCK - gluing it as you go along.

Fit the parts, torque them minimally and assemble like in the final assembly. You will do this until you have done the endplay, deck height, done the rocker geometry, and cut the proper pushrods, check for piston-to-valve clearances. All the while checking for interferences...rod to case, rod the cam..so on. Use light springs in the heads to check - you have to disassemble the heads anyway.

When everything checks out on the trial assembly, wash and clean everything and re-do the trial assembly. this time use more oil on the parts. You can actually spin this by hand as fast as you can if you like. If you are happy, then re-wash and clean everything and prep for final assembly -w/ the glue.

Most here will build a stroker, one time and glue parts as they go along. That is WRONG! you will end up w/ a seized engine...again. Looks like that first engine was built during a sandstorm - pretty dirty!

Good luck to you man.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bad bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Seized 2276 - rebuild advice please Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:
Dan Ruddock wrote:
Dan

I have no regrets whatsoever! I'm very glad I ended up going for the hotter cam. That being said I have nothing to really compare it to. Based on my limited experience, I could imagine the 86A being a good choice in a smaller engine or heavy Bus scenario, at least for my purposes.

I do live in the hills and I can tell you my bug now tears up steep inclines with ease. With the stock single port I had to basically give it full throttle all the time and it would lug very easily. Now I barely have to touch the pedal around town in traffic.

As far as the noise, it sounds quiet to me. I can't hear any valve noice except for the first minute or two when its cold it's very faint...
I've been busy with life and actually getting the car on the road so I'm behind updating my build thread but I asked my music studio recording friend to bring over his fancy mic setup and we took a good video w/ proper high quality sound. I will be updating my thread over the next couple weeks and that will be included.

Evanfrucht: I did a little read up here on your engine i saw where it said you are running 40 x 35.5 heads on a 2180cc engine is that still the case today.

Also ( dan maybe the right one to answer this): I s the 252 webcam a modified web 251 cam.
55rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Seized 2276 - rebuild advice please Reply with quote

Thanks for helping me push this along.

M. Notary, the bearings do slide on the crank and I measured them with an old beat up Starrett which may not be the most accurate for sure. I should invest in a new one.

The pic of the bearing out of the seized engine was spun which is the result but not the cause. It looks like that bearing lost oil pressure to me and then spun but I don't know why it would do that after a couple thousand miles.

nsracing, I appreciate the help. I put the crank in like you suggested with #1 and 3 bearings and the crank turned free and easy. I also put in 4 and it still spun free. I'll put in 2 tomorrow and torque the case to see how it goes. Thanks for the advice.

I'm far from starting to glue anything up at this point. I do plan on trial fitting everything a few times and get all the measurements right before I glue it up. Trying my best to avoid another seized up motor.

I did get the cam thrust set today, had to sand down the thrust bearings a bit to get .003 play.

Thanks again,
Jason
18 GTI
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Seized 2276 - rebuild advice please Reply with quote

With the small oil galleries on that crank, you probably want to groove the inside of the bearing for more oil flow. You are only getting oil to the bearings for like 20% of crank rotation.
55rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Seized 2276 - rebuild advice please Reply with quote

Hey Pruneman, are you talking about grinding out the bearing oil groove to line up with the oil galley in the case?
18 GTI
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Seized 2276 - rebuild advice please Reply with quote

Bad bug wrote:
evanfrucht wrote:
Dan Ruddock wrote:
Dan

Evanfrucht: I did a little read up here on your engine i saw where it said you are running 40 x 35.5 heads on a 2180cc engine is that still the case today.

Also ( dan maybe the right one to answer this): I s the 252 webcam a modified web 251 cam.

Yes I did put some 40 x 35.5 heads on a 2180cc.

No the 251 is not related to the 252. The 252 is basically an 86B with slightly less lift. The nose of the lobes are a little more blunt if you want to think it about it visually or from a durability perspective.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Seized 2276 - rebuild advice please Reply with quote

55rag wrote:
Thanks for helping me push this along.

M. Notary, the bearings do slide on the crank and I measured them with an old beat up Starrett which may not be the most accurate for sure. I should invest in a new one.

The pic of the bearing out of the seized engine was spun which is the result but not the cause. It looks like that bearing lost oil pressure to me and then spun but I don't know why it would do that after a couple thousand miles.

nsracing, I appreciate the help. I put the crank in like you suggested with #1 and 3 bearings and the crank turned free and easy. I also put in 4 and it still spun free. I'll put in 2 tomorrow and torque the case to see how it goes. Thanks for the advice.

I'm far from starting to glue anything up at this point. I do plan on trial fitting everything a few times and get all the measurements right before I glue it up. Trying my best to avoid another seized up motor.

I did get the cam thrust set today, had to sand down the thrust bearings a bit to get .003 play.

Thanks again,
Jason

Did you do the mods to the bearing to get the oil holes lined up properly? With the bearings now that's become a requirement
55rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Seized 2276 - rebuild advice please Reply with quote

I think that's what Pruneman was talking about. i haven't modified the bearings yet but it will be done for sure. Thanks
18 GTI
Bad bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Seized 2276 - rebuild advice please Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:
Bad bug wrote:
evanfrucht wrote:
Dan Ruddock wrote:
Dan

Yes I did put some 40 x 35.5 heads on a 2180cc.

No the 251 is not related to the 252. The 252 is basically an 86B with slightly less lift. The nose of the lobes are a little more blunt if you want to think it about it visually or from a durability perspective.

Ok. wow this should have neck snapping torque. If i am guessing this right the cam has more duration with the blunt nose with less lift.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Seized 2276 - rebuild advice please Reply with quote

55rag wrote:
Hey Pruneman, are you talking about grinding out the bearing oil groove to line up with the oil galley in the case?

This is very important, but I was talking about the inside of the bearing as well.

The old bearings used a internal groove to deliver 100% oiling to the bearings with the old straight drilled cranks. When VW went to a cross drilled crank with the scallops ground into the crank, they also changed the bearings to external groove. This was fine for stock engines, because the bearings still got oiled through 40% or more crank rotation.

But now you have a performance engine, that has small oil orifices. It's only going to pick up oil when that hole in the crank passes over the scallop inside the bearing. The rest of the rotation, it doesn't get any flow.

Internal groove bearings are almost impossible to find so ppl cut a shallow groove on the inside of the bearing so it can pick up pressured oil for longer.

Mark Tucker talks about how he does it. Modok or Bryan (I think) have also.

Scat and now EMPI have oil grooves cut into the crank 360 degrees to address this issue.

Here is a thread where ppl more knowledgeable than me talk about it.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=756180
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: