Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Funny yet serious question with long hair.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Funny yet serious question with long hair. Reply with quote

A little hat will do in a pinch.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Richard O'Brien
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny yet serious question with long hair. Reply with quote

Long hair is dangerous! As a child of the 70's I had rather long hair well past my shoulders. Didn't bother me too much when driving my Dad's bug.

But, don't do this!

I was working on an old cast iron 6 cylinder head lapping the valves. There used to be a reciprocating tool you put in your drill that rotated the valve head to and fro to lap the valves so you didn't have to use the old rubber headed manual one. As I am quite short-sighted I took my glasses off and got really close to the head to see how the valves were going. What happened next?

My wife heard the cries for help raced outside and burst into uncontrollable laughter.

There I was with a cast iron cylinder head stuck to my head with my fingers totally entwined by hair on the trigger with the drill starting to smoke. My long hair had got pulled into the armature, my head got pulled toward the head and I was trying to release the trigger.

She finally pulled the cord from the outlet and laughed at the sight of the poor sod with a heavy cylinder head stuck to his scalp. Some minutes later after some judicious use of the kitchen scissors, the two heads were separated. I had lost a few follicles but otherwise unhurt.

I was lucky and now shudder at what can happen with ties, belts and long hair with machinery. Needless to say, I was much more careful for the rest of my life and yes I still have a fair bit of hair. Very Happy

Last edited by viiking on Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny yet serious question with long hair. Reply with quote

I always keep a couple of hair ties handy in my pocket or on my keyring. Can't drive the buggy or convertible without at least a hat. In the buggy I usually tie my hair and then tuck it down into my collar.

Also try to put my hair up under a hat or bandana when working around rotating power tools.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny yet serious question with long hair. Reply with quote

What would a woman/girl with long hair do in this situation?
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny yet serious question with long hair. Reply with quote

viiking wrote:
Long hair is dangerous! As a child of the 70's I had rather long hair well past my shoulders. Didn't bother me too much when driving my Dad's bug.

But, don't do this!

I was working on an old cast iron 6 cylinder head lapping the valves. There used to be a reciprocating tool you put in your drill that rotated the valve head to and fro to lap the valves so you didn't have to use the old rubber headed manual one. As I am quite short-sighted I took my glasses off and got really close to the head to see how the valves were going. What happened next?

My wife heard the cries for help raced outside and burst into uncontrollable laughter.

There I was with a cast iron cylinder stuck to my head with my fingers totally entwined by hair on the trigger with the drill starting to smoke. My long hair had got pulled into the armature, my head got pulled toward the head and I was trying to release the trigger.

She finally pulled the cord from the outlet and laughed at the sight of the poor sod with a heavy cylinder head stuck to his scalp. Some minutes later after some judicious use of the kitchen scissors, the two heads were separated. I had lost a few follicles but otherwise unhurt.

I was lucky and now shudder at what can happen with ties, belts and long hair with machinery. Needless to say, I was much more careful for the rest of my life and yes I still have a fair bit of hair. Very Happy

We got the same message in military training. They impressed safety upon us by showing us actual photos of injuries. Fingers torn off because of rings. Necklace or dog tags caught in drill press. Same with loose clothing or tie. Hair was not a problem they kept us short😀

If I had hair in the way only takes a second to put on a hat like Tim says
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Funny yet serious question with long hair. Reply with quote

My hair is long, about half the length of my back. Being Native American, having long hair is a significant aspect of my cultural identity. I will not judge other's paths, but I will say that I am not a hippie. While many of my people love muscle vehicles like Mustangs and Harley-Davidsons, most people on the rez couldn't afford those cars, so like several elders in my family, I got a Volkswagen. I call my Super Beetle Sun Bug "Učikę·wářʔu·yʔ," which means "Big Beetle" in our language.

I have always had the long hair situation driving an ACVW and most always keep my hair in a knot, braid or multi-banded ponytail. I also keep my bandana in the glove box for extended trips to prevent stray hairs from flying around. Like most Native men I know, I do not blow dry my hair, so keeping wet hair in a knot is ideal to prevent a long, wet ponytail from getting my Sun Bug corduroy upholstery wet.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Funny yet serious question with long hair. Reply with quote

68IHscout wrote:
What would a woman/girl with long hair do in this situation?

Keep talking on her cell phone and forget about even starting up the VW !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Funny yet serious question with long hair. Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
Just wear your covid mask backwards and stuff your hair in the mask.

Ding Ding Ding! Winner ^^^

Donahoe gets runner-up for posting a mug shot of himself Razz
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Funny yet serious question with long hair. Reply with quote

creative native wrote:
Like most Native men I know, I do not blow dry my hair

Interested - Is this cultural or is it bad for your type of hair?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Funny yet serious question with long hair. Reply with quote

As far as I know, I have no Native American blood in me, but I also do not blow dry my hair. Most long haired men I’ve ever known do not style their hair, so blow drying seems a waste of time—especially since you can always go for a spin in the bug and let it dry naturally.

When I rode motorcycles, the act of blow drying would have been even more absurd. Shocked

I live in an area of California where shoulder-length hair on men is quite common, especially guys my age who are retired and no longer have an employer telling them how they should look. But lately, I’ve noticed more and more young guys here in town with shoulder-length, or longer, hair. They’ll cut theirs in a few years, I suppose, as fads come and go. But not me. Why bother? Like the song says, “It stops all by itself.”

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Funny yet serious question with long hair. Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Lk2KHajp4Y
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Funny yet serious question with long hair. Reply with quote

Zund, I still have that album.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny yet serious question with long hair. Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Zund, I still have that album.

Tim

Me too I’ve got it on CD but I first had it on 8 track in my 64 camper😀
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny yet serious question with long hair. Reply with quote

"Give me a head with hair... long beautiful hair-air...."

I think we are starting to all show our age here. I can remember my first 8-track being "A Bat out of Hell".

It's true about for some of us older guys who now having retired can let their hair grow as "Jesus wore-it". Kids will find it laughable about how long haired guys were discriminated against in employment back in the '70's.

My wife and I celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary on the 10th (during another COVID lockdown in Sydney) and looking back at our wedding photo the other day I remember I had to have a hair cut before the wedding. But it was still past my shoulders after the haircut. Luckily I still have lots of hair but it has a strange colour in it now.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny yet serious question with long hair. Reply with quote

viiking wrote:
I remember I had to have a hair cut before the wedding.

I think that the first time Mrs. Cusser EVER saw me without stubble was on the day we got married.

Since then I have shaved for my niece's wedding....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny yet serious question with long hair. Reply with quote

Wow. You were rich. Colour photos! We only got black and white. Haha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny yet serious question with long hair. Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
creative native wrote:
Like most Native men I know, I do not blow dry my hair

Interested - Is this cultural or is it bad for your type of hair?

Everett, it is definitely cultural, but we also know that constant heat from a blow dryer is bad for hair. In the old days, my people would use bear grease on our scalps, which would nourish hair follicles & scalp and therefore keep our hair healthy. In lieu of bear grease, I make my own scalp/hair care product/Medicine.

Also, I believe I still have my "Déjà Vu" 8-track in a box in a closet. I was raised on great 70's music, as well as traditional. I'm going to go check on that 8-track now.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny yet serious question with long hair. Reply with quote

I found my "Déjà Vu" 8-track. I had a Sapphire 8-track player in my '66 21 window.

This is my Sun Bug keyring. Jack Torrance drove a Beetle also.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Funny yet serious question with long hair. Reply with quote

viiking wrote:
Wow. You were rich. Colour photos! We only got black and white. Haha

We were both working then, scientists in R&D. I was in Analytical Chemistry in the soap/detergent company, and Mrs. Cusser was a food scientist in the sister company of processed meats.

And we lived in the 1200 SF townhouse I bought for $38K seven years before, and I owned my 1970 VW and 1971 VW convertible. So we paid for our wedding ourselves; I had to buy a new suit, she bought the dress "off the rack" and we paid a photographer about $600, and rented out a restaurant for a Sunday afternoon lunch/party which her father actually paid for. $6 a head and $1 each for drinks, bill came to $1500, good food, and buffet with carved roast beef, stir fry, etc., so all could eat and drink as much as they wanted.

Then we departed for 2-day honeymoon in Tucson in my 9-year-old Toyota truck.

And ended up with these

Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Funny yet serious question with long hair. Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
...we lived in the 1200 SF townhouse I bought for $38K seven years before, and I owned my 1970 VW and 1971 VW convertible. So we paid for our wedding ourselves; I had to buy a new suit, she bought the dress "off the rack" and we paid a photographer about $600, and rented out a restaurant for a Sunday afternoon lunch/party which her father actually paid for. $6 a head and $1 each for drinks, bill came to $1500, good food, and buffet with carved roast beef, stir fry, etc., so all could eat and drink as much as they wanted.

Then we departed for 2-day honeymoon in Tucson in my 9-year-old Toyota truck.

Nice story and family Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: