Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'59 engine rebuild, need new cam - question
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gothard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:23 am    Post subject: '59 engine rebuild, need new cam - question Reply with quote

I am in the dismantling phase of my '59 1200 engine, #3359594, and the camshaft is badly worn.
Getting info from the local resellers in Europe is like pulling teeth.

Does anyone have an equivalent reference to replace the camshaft? The shaft has number 111 109 101, and the pulley has number 111 109 111 and is group +2.

Any insight welcome. I understand I might have to move the sprocket wheel over to the new shaft?
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: '59 engine rebuild, need new cam - question Reply with quote

I found a NOS cam in the classified and had to swap the gear over. I suggest keep checking this site for ads at least. May have to ship from the US or other country. An air hammer worked good for setting the rivets, in my case.

WW has unground blanks you can take it to a cam grinder to replicate stock profile too.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: '59 engine rebuild, need new cam - question Reply with quote

NOS is gonna be your best bet. there are german cams and brazilian 36hp cams.

IF you buy a made in brazil cam, make sure to chamfer the edges. they are known to be really rough around the edges of the cam lobes.

WW also makes a performance cam which could work well if you change some other factors.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 engine rebuild, need new cam - question Reply with quote

Maybe go to classified Search and type in 36 cam or just 36 and browse the adds, I am rebuilding my 36 horse too. It’s a 1960 Beetle.
Gothard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: '59 engine rebuild, need new cam - question Reply with quote

Back at it, and please bear with me, it is my first beetle rebuild:

I got a new camshaft, not NOS. It has 3 threaded holes (MCool to attach to the original sprocket that align with the sprocket holes, that are smaller (7mm?), AND 3 locating pins. So:

-Do I remove the locating pins and rely on the 3 M8 bolts to hold the cam on the sprocket, or machine drill the sprocket for the pins?

-Can I drill the sprocket rivet holes to 8mm to attach the cam?

- I marked the sprocket when I removed the worn cam, but the sprocket only. I *think* I marked the sprocket aligned with the first cam lobe, but can't remember, it was a while ago... Any method to align the cam correctly on the sprocket?
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: '59 engine rebuild, need new cam - question Reply with quote

I just uploaded photos from my 1958 shop manual, that show the section about the cam that should help.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

tcoop1100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 engine rebuild, need new cam - question Reply with quote

The gear backlash spec for the cam shown in that manual is wrong- it should be 0.000 to 0.002", not 0.020"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: '59 engine rebuild, need new cam - question Reply with quote

Gothard wrote:
Back at it, and please bear with me, it is my first beetle rebuild:

I got a new camshaft, not NOS. It has 3 threaded holes (MCool to attach to the original sprocket that align with the sprocket holes, that are smaller (7mm?), AND 3 locating pins. So:

-Do I remove the locating pins and rely on the 3 M8 bolts to hold the cam on the sprocket, or machine drill the sprocket for the pins?

-Can I drill the sprocket rivet holes to 8mm to attach the cam?

- I marked the sprocket when I removed the worn cam, but the sprocket only. I *think* I marked the sprocket aligned with the first cam lobe, but can't remember, it was a while ago... Any method to align the cam correctly on the sprocket?

I don't recall seeing a VW camshaft with locating pins before, they normally just use rivets or bolts and washers to attach and align the cam gear.

Yes, you can drill the cam gear rivet holes out so as to use the 8mm bolts to attach the gear to your cam. You will probably need to face the gear around the bolt holes or shave the bolt heads to allow clearance between the oil pump housing and the cam gear bolts as well. See the following: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9354522&highlight=#9354522

The oil pump drive slot in the end of the cam should line up with the cam gear alignment mark when you attach the gear.

Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 engine rebuild, need new cam - question Reply with quote

If the cam hub has 3 threaded holes and 3 pins, it is probably from an early Porsche. Are the cam lobes also wider than on the old VW cam? The hub might also be marked "369".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: