Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buggy Electrical
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
y2kbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Buggy Electrical Reply with quote

I'm looking at wiring my FauxManx project in the next few months. I figure I need 7 switches to do what I want. I don't really want a key switch. The car will have a battery cut switch with removable key for security. I was looking at all rocker switches or toggle switches. I added up to nearly $200 on Amazon and other outlets for rockers or toggles. Yikes. I would love to run a switch pro but at $600 for a $1500 buggy it's not cost effective. Then I saw this from Rear Light Bar. I run RLB on my race car and have been happy with the product and his service. He's local to me so I'm able to pick up. I'm posting to see what everyone's thoughts are.

https://rlbstore.com/product/pro8-switch-panel/
dhubz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy Electrical Reply with quote

This is what I ended up doing. Switches from amazon.ca 6 pack was $31.99. I bought 6 SPST and 6 Momentary- now I have extras for the next one.
6 switches
-Lights
-Reverse
-Horn
-Wipers
-Washer
-Hazard(bought separate red switch)

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B086L64BMV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/url]
y2kbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy Electrical Reply with quote

I guess I should say what switches I'm controlling.

1-on/off ignition
2-off/mom on starter
3-on/off fuel pump (no mechanical pump, only electric)
4-on/off oil cooler fan
5-off/on/on headlight sw
6-off/mom on horn
7-on/off wiper switch

To fill the 8 spot on the switch panel I would move the clearance lights to their own switch.
y2kbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy Electrical Reply with quote

dhubz wrote:
This is what I ended up doing. Switches from amazon.ca 6 pack was $31.99. I bought 6 SPST and 6 Momentary- now I have extras for the next one.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B086L64BMV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
[/url]

With all the options I'm not seeing the 6-pack of momentary on/off. Honestly this is my first choice is getting a 8 gang panel with usb charger for the dash. But the lack of finding the momentary switches made me continue to look.
manxvair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy Electrical Reply with quote

In our Class 11 car, we used a combination of the RLB switch panel and a couple of toggles for ignition and headlights. I use the Switch Pro's in my Manx. The RLB is a nice unit and a bit more affordable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sshae
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy Electrical Reply with quote

For possible inspiration, here is how I did mine. I did use a barrel key, but it only turns the car on and off. The start switch is a pushbutton. The key could be replaced with a toggle, or hidden under the dash, or both.. The switches are simple toggles, and the name plates were ordered through an on-line plastic engraver.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
y2kbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy Electrical Reply with quote

sshae wrote:

For possible inspiration, here is how I did mine. I did use a barrel key, but it only turns the car on and off. The start switch is a pushbutton. The key could be replaced with a toggle, or hidden under the dash, or both.. The switches are simple toggles, and the name plates were ordered through an on-line plastic engraver.

Good inspiration. I plan on doing 6 toggle switches, no key and only the VW speedo. Simple. I talked to a woodworking friend of mine the other day and he's going to build a wood panel for the dash to look like a surf board. I'm pretty excited for that.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy Electrical Reply with quote

Those dashes are so busy! Here is my first buggy's dashboard. As for the neon... well, it was the era of car neon! Under the dash were 2 switches. Neon and lights (an ignition powered relay chose headlights or parking lights.)

Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy Electrical Reply with quote

I think mine is overly busy and I decided to go minimalist...

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy Electrical Reply with quote

Here is my "surfboard" style dash-Koa, Maple and Teak-probably should take a new picture as I replaced the speedo with a KM correct one.

Switches are: Headlights, running lights, wipers, key and pushbutton start

I also have two switches on the left of the steering column: hazards, squirters

'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
y2kbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy Electrical Reply with quote

Your surfboard dash is exactly what I'm after. I saw pictures of it somewhere and took it to my woodworking friend and said "I want that".
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy Electrical Reply with quote

The surfboard dash is cool. I was noticing 2 modified stock speedometers. The surf buggy looks to have a modified 1968 Bug one and my first Buggy had a modified 40 horse Bug one. If keeping the stock speedometer I think a little custom work on the face is cool. Cool

On the original switch question, consider the steering column choice too. You could get light, wiper, and turn signal functions handled without dash switches. Another idea is to consider what functions could be handled by Bosch type automotive relays. A simple example is my first Buggy lighting. I had a single switch for the head lights and parking lights. A relay switched them from park lights if the car was off to head lights if the car was running. Actually, before the neon that buggy had no switches at all. The headlights came on when the car was started (right off the accessory position of the ignition switch) and I didn't have parking lights (not legal but not checked.)
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy Electrical Reply with quote

y2kbaja wrote:
Your surfboard dash is exactly what I'm after. I saw pictures of it somewhere and took it to my woodworking friend and said "I want that".

Thanks!

I had originally designed it in Autodesk Inventor and thought I had the files but I don't. Sad

I did use a cardboard template my dad a created from the original dashboard, as every dunebuggy dash is slightly different-or completely different.

I hope yours comes out as you want!
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
Feral
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy Electrical Reply with quote

sshae, I like the carbon fibre, I will be doing something similar. What are your gauges?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: