Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

L Shaped Wind Deflectors.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: L Shaped Wind Deflectors. Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
joetiger wrote:
Those are the flimsier ones that I have. After having them on for a year, they do their job and stay put very well.

Again they're not as solid as the WeatherTech ones, but if you can deal with a bit of fluttering in certain windy conditions, they're great for a rainy campsite and in my case they work well for fresh air since my in-dash AC deleted my fresh air dash vents.

They flutter? I just did 80mph the other day and solid for me.

If the window is down at all, even an inch or two, mine flutter in cross winds. If the window is sealed, no flutter that I can tell.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j10nbom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: L Shaped Wind Deflectors. Reply with quote

Considering buying a set of the Weathertech wind deflectors for my 90 Westy because the cabin is super loud on the highway at speed.

Wondering from those who have them, are these worth it for exclusively reducing the cabin noise until I get a chance to replace my window/door seals?
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: L Shaped Wind Deflectors. Reply with quote

I had a set of some wind defletors came with my van - worked fairly well, but kept falling out.

I got the weatehr tech - after replacing window seals. I like the idea of leaving window open a small bit when it is raining - and no rain coming in.

They were too tight - and did not fit well. I'm not sure if it was due to the new seals I had or some other reason, i ended up returning them.

I just got these - https://www.mybusparts.de/en/detail/index/sArticle/4474/number/10776

Not installed yet.

REports from other users - it makes a difference, see this thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j10nbom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: L Shaped Wind Deflectors. Reply with quote

kguarnotta wrote:
I had a set of some wind defletors came with my van - worked fairly well, but kept falling out.

I got the weatehr tech - after replacing window seals. I like the idea of leaving window open a small bit when it is raining - and no rain coming in.

They were too tight - and did not fit well. I'm not sure if it was due to the new seals I had or some other reason, i ended up returning them.

I just got these - https://www.mybusparts.de/en/detail/index/sArticle/4474/number/10776

Not installed yet.

REports from other users - it makes a difference, see this thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Thanks for the link! My bus came from out west and all of the original seals are shot, so may need to add this to my to do list as well. I just wanted a temporary solution in the meantime so my wife will continue to ride with me. Very Happy

These wind deflectors from bus depot https://www.busdepot.com/36420 don't look like they'll do too much, so I was leaning towards the full l-shaped ones from Weathertech: https://www.weathertech.com/volkswagen/1990/vanagon/side-window-deflectors/
do.dah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: L Shaped Wind Deflectors. Reply with quote

My van is pretty quiet anyway, but, I got some high quality duct tape and taped tightly over the rain gutters running along side the windshield.
Made my van a wee bit quieter.
Plus, the duct tape gives a good, ratty, cheap ass look to the van....
Someday, when I grow up, I'll cut off those rain gutters...
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: L Shaped Wind Deflectors. Reply with quote

j10nbom wrote:
... reducing the cabin noise until I get a chance to replace my window/door seals?

So. I'd guess any 30 something year old vehicle has seals that are overdue for replacement. in the mean time, find some thin flexible tubing, many say that thin stuff like oxygen tubing from hospital, or find some as small as you can at the hardware of farm store. There are little holes along all the doors seals, except for the slider latch area. You just slide the tube into the seal, and like magic, the seals are tight. Beware, sometimes you need the thinnest you can find, and sometimes you need a bit wider, as front doors can need an extra hard slam if the tube you use is too thick.

Also, I read here about using a swimming pool noodle, plug up the hole under the A pillar. Cut up chunks of that noodle and stuff them in under there, mainly the big oval directly under the A pillar, but plugging other holes can help as well.

I also agree with the tape on the rain gutter, use tape that does not rot and leave gummy residue as it erodes away. The stuff I was told to use is "Clear" duct tape. I've had it on mine for a few years now, and I've like the results. Depending on the color of your van, most people will not even notice it. Leave at least 1/4" above the top, so the water can run down the channel anyway, and of course, at the bottom too.

The L shaped rain deflectors that my kids have are mostly only good for leaving the windows open an inch to let the air flow, so it wasn't so hot inside when getting back in the bus after shopping, etc. They didn't say much for reducing the noise at highway speeds, but at least there was more air moving in the cabin.

-bobby
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: L Shaped Wind Deflectors. Reply with quote

Quote:
These wind deflectors from bus depot www.busdepot.com/36420 don't look like they'll do too much, so I was leaning towards the full l-shaped ones from Weathertech

The Weathertech ones for Vanagons are not actually full L shaped. Their website shows a generic pic, not a pic of the actual Vanagon ones.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j10nbom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: L Shaped Wind Deflectors. Reply with quote

Busdepot wrote:
Quote:
These wind deflectors from bus depot www.busdepot.com/36420 don't look like they'll do too much, so I was leaning towards the full l-shaped ones from Weathertech

The Weathertech ones for Vanagons are not actually full L shaped. Their website shows a generic pic, not a pic of the actual Vanagon ones.

Well that's a bummer - no one seems to be selling the l-shaped ones anymore then
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: L Shaped Wind Deflectors. Reply with quote

I drove about 140 miles yesterday with an antique regulator chime clock laying in the back. It would quietly chime a certain speeds!
These Vans are bumpy and noisey, no Rolls Royce!
But I do give my Van the Rose Royce treatment when she gets dirty!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eB0aROCl530&pp=ygUTcm9zZSByb3ljZSBjYXIgd2FzaA%3D%3D

So run the tape deck to loud music to mask the noise

Another source of wind noise, loud noise I find is roof racks. I have found that that noise can be eliminated by moving the rack to the rear. If the rack is too far forward, it makes noise, move it back and the noise can vanish (Vanagonish?) If the rack is behind the rear of the front doors it usually gets quiet.

The big side view mirrors can also make wind noise, Dont know how to fix that yet without ruining their function. But when folded in and useless as a mirror for side view, the noise got a bit quieter.

I do like the idea of the vent cover on the roll up windows to keep the rain out while letting the van air out.
It might be a good idea to replace the door lock mushroom headed lock plunger with a smooth anti theft style so a crook with a crooked coat hanger wire cant fish for and pull up on the lock plunger. Got to keep the Van from being stolen you know.
maybe something simular to this...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009N0W06/ref=sspa_dk_d...ljaz10cnVl

Dont know if this one fits, but you get the idea, you need a smooth lock plunger if you leave the window slightly open.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Jump to:
Page 12 of 12

Jump to: