Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil pressure switch woes
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure switch woes Reply with quote

Yes, the original sender is tapered.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure switch woes Reply with quote

Looking closely at the oil pressure switch that aircooled.net sells, it appears the threads on theirs are tapered, to match the insert they sell. Can't tell for 100% sure though.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure switch woes Reply with quote

Uh oh...

OK , I know everyone will get all wide-eyed when they see I threaded an ENGINE MOUNT BOLT into the oil pressure switch hole to plug it so I could get it home (luckily literally right around the corner.)

This is because nothing smaller would lock into the threads still inside the case, I guess that's how wallowed out it got.

Believe it or not this actually worked, but unfortunately, after I got it back home and began inspecting that area, I discovered what appear to be cracks in the case:

Shocked Crying or Very sad
I don't suppose these are just casting marks or something...

1600 SP engine
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure switch woes Reply with quote

I would say to the right of the hole looks like casting marks. However, there seems to be a red line of something closest to the threads. Could that be red RTV inside of a crack? Very hard to tell. Did you use red RTV at some point?
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure switch woes Reply with quote

raydog wrote:
I would say to the right of the hole looks like casting marks. However, there seems to be a red line of something closest to the threads. Could that be red RTV inside of a crack? Very hard to tell. Did you use red RTV at some point?

I see that too, and the only thing I can think of is that it's some kind of red thread sealant that was on the new switch when I tried threading it in & got lodged in there.

1600 SP engine
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure switch woes Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
raydog wrote:

I see that too, and the only thing I can think of is that it's some kind of red thread sealant that was on the new switch when I tried threading it in & got lodged in there.

I'd say you'll be alright, but from now on I'd just hand tighten whatever you put in there and maybe a bit of jbweld in the crack. There is the possibility of closing that hole up fully and tapping the oil gallery at the end putting some adapter in and then the oil pressure switch into the adapter...

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure switch woes Reply with quote

If it didn't spray or drip oil on the drive home then what ever they are won't matter.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure switch woes Reply with quote

Clean it with bake cleaner, let it dry, an heat the area with a propane torch/oxy-fuel, whatever you have (a heat gun might work?). You will see the crack with seepage, if it's there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: