Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

72 super beetle with CIP1 8 spokes, tire options
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
STEAK_BUG72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: 72 super beetle with CIP1 8 spokes, tire options Reply with quote

So I finally got around to installing some tires on my 8 spokes that I have had since April. I wanted a staggered look with a bigger wheel on the back then the front. It is a fully stock front end suspension, completely rebuilt during summer Covid 2020. Had the super shimmy really bad. I used the bronze idler bushing also. Handles like a dream now. Getting back to the tires, I tried a 185/65/15 on the 8 spoke to trial it out. The tire guy mounted a loose tire that he had kicking around. Fit no problem. I did have to trim the extra stud protruding from the lower ball joint. Serious rub on the rim when the suspension was compressed.
I sized out a 205/65/15 for the rear as other Samba members said that it fit without issues. That wheel and tire fit. Just trimmed one of the trailing arm bolts as it felt a little too close for comfort. Fit and looks great.
When I went to pick up the tires today after they finished mounting them, they had put 195/65/15's on the front rims (mistake ordering). Well that does not fit at all. The tire definitely rubs on the coil spring. I would have kept them if they would have fitted but they do not. They will be changing back to 185/65/15 tomorrow.
SO 185/65/15 on the front and 205/65/15 on the rear with CIP1 8 spokes will fit with a bit of excess stud trimming on a 71-72 super beetle.
Just sayin'
STEAK
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: