Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Roof Vent Fan Options
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwlukas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Roof Vent Fan Options Reply with quote

Hey you weirdos!

For those of you with fans replacing the skylight or those of you with hightops, what vent fans have you found to work best?

There is plenty of options out there for the Sprinter crowd and it seems they stick with one option;

Maxxfan Deluxe
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

-$300ish
+rain sensors, pops up/comes down in rain, some have remote
-big if you have stuff on your roof like rocket boxes

then there are a bunch that seem good for us;

Maxxfan low profile

$120
+low profile, cheaper, operate with cover closed
-not very translucent for those who want light to still shine through

and the one im looking at;

Dometic Fantastic Fan

$300 - $340
+different models, transclucent, rain sensor with remote
-pricey, only one hinge, apparently the fan is on the louder side

Does anyone have any other input on what they have or are looking for?

here are some other topics i found in relation to this with installs

Install:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=732736&highlight=fan
Translucent fans:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=701133&highlight=fan
some DIY options:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=742291&highlight=fan
A 11in Fan example:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=160

Last edited by vwlukas on Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Roof Vent Fan Options Reply with quote

I have the maxxair and frikin love it! It moves a lot of air both as a vent and ceiling fan. Has 10 speeds and on the lowest speeds the draw is minimal. Has rain sensor so I leave it on low pretty much all summer to keep things cool and moving. Also has a remote and you can set thermostat settings, but I dont use that. Wasnt cheap, think I paid close to $250 or so couple years ago. Its on a reimo Hightop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwlukas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Roof Vent Fan Options Reply with quote

candyman wrote:
I have the maxxair and frikin love it! It moves a lot of air both as a vent and ceiling fan. Has 10 speeds and on the lowest speeds the draw is minimal. Has rain sensor so I leave it on low pretty much all summer to keep things cool and moving. Also has a remote and you can set thermostat settings, but I dont use that. Wasnt cheap, think I paid close to $250 or so couple years ago. Its on a reimo Hightop

Is this the maxxfan deluxe, the big one? or are you using the lo profile model? i believe they both have those options

if i was an eagle, i'd dress like a duck
crawl like a lizard and honk like a truck
- Jerome Garcia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Roof Vent Fan Options Reply with quote

82westyrabbit shows another nice looking option in his thread, last couple of posts.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=673792
vwlukas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Roof Vent Fan Options Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
82westyrabbit shows another nice looking option in his thread, last couple of posts.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=673792

nice! i really like that installation as it doesn't require any trimming of the fiberglass top.

that is what i would say is the biggest downside to installing any type of roof vent fan in our vans

- Jerome Garcia
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof Vent Fan Options Reply with quote

Just installed a Dometic in my TDI Westy conversion.

vwlukas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Roof Vent Fan Options Reply with quote

dieseltdi wrote:
]Just installed a Dometic in my TDI Westy conversion.

does it seem any darker than the skylight?

- Jerome Garcia
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof Vent Fan Options Reply with quote

I never had a skyline so I cannot say.
Cornell89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Roof Vent Fan Options Reply with quote

I really like the MaxxFan 4500k - I've installed them in 2 different vans. Very good air flow, remote control, rain sensor auto-close (never tested Smile ). If you have the pop-top off when doing the install, I recommend covering the interior with hull liner - you can hide the fan wires under it.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Roof Vent Fan Options Reply with quote

I have the Fantasticfan (apparently Dometic bought the company in the last few years. Similar to the Maxxair: remote, auto-close (it closes with surprisingly little rain), reversible, many speeds. When I bought it I called Fantasticfan and they sent me a clear lid at no charge because I didn't want a smoke colored lid. Six years of satisfied use. My guess is that both work really well.

It creates quite a breeze...

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Roof Vent Fan Options Reply with quote

I have the Fantastic Fan also. I cannot imagine life without it. Also, the remote is key. You might think you're being too extravagant by having a remote with your fan, but it's indispensable.

My only beef, and it's a very shallow and superficial one, is that the Maxxair fan looks cooler than the Fantastic fan. And apparently you can run the Maxxair in the rain without water ingress. The rain sensor on the Fantastic fan can be overridden, but it lets some water in.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Roof Vent Fan Options Reply with quote

I vote for the Maxxfan. Two arms holding up the top, so if you drive with it open the top wont bend and brake like the Dometic Fantastic Fan.

P.S. i have a Dometic Fantastic Fan for sale if someone wants it. New in a box. PM me if interested.

Cluster Rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569920&highlight=

Left for Dead the Resurrection Story Build:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613669
(Number of Different Donor VW Vans Body Parts Used: 12)
(Number of completely different vehicles parts used: 3)
vwlukas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Roof Vent Fan Options Reply with quote

0cean wrote:
I vote for the Maxxfan. Two arms holding up the top, so if you drive with it open the top wont bend and brake like the Domestic Fantastic Fan.

P.S. i have a Domestic Fantastic Fan for sale if someone wants it. New in a box. PM me if interested.

Which lid do you have? Transparency is one of the most important features to me. I just hate the idea of losing out on natural light.

I have heard that single arm on the fantastic fan can be a problem and i always drive with the skylight open or cracked

- Jerome Garcia
michaelasnider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Roof Vent Fan Options Reply with quote

You can absolutely drive with the fantastic fan open, its rated for it and I do it regularly.

Another vote for it, its been great for me.

vwlukas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Roof Vent Fan Options Reply with quote

michaelasnider wrote:
You can absolutely drive with the fantastic fan open, its rated for it and I do it regularly.

thats what i like to hear! what color is your lid? it looks like smoke. i read smoke is better for transparency than white

- Jerome Garcia
michaelasnider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Roof Vent Fan Options Reply with quote

vwlukas wrote:
michaelasnider wrote:

thats what i like to hear! what color is your lid? it looks like smoke. i read smoke is better for transparency than white

Lid is smoke, works great as a skylight. That photo is with the lid closed, fan off.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof Vent Fan Options Reply with quote

michaelasnider wrote:

Yup, I drive with mine open a lot and it hasn't caused any problems. At intersections sometimes I get "Hey your vent is open!"

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof Vent Fan Options Reply with quote

vwlukas wrote:
michaelasnider wrote:

I have a fantasticfan with a clear lid because I wanted as much might as possible.

Available on amazon. I also got a free one by calling Fantastic fan a few years back.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008OS8ENA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Christopholi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof Vent Fan Options Reply with quote

I just picked up a Maxxair 4000K (White lid) for my new hightop, based mostly on the number of speeds, quiet low speed operation, and being able to use it with the vent closed. Haven't installed it yet, so no personal experience yet, but looking forward to it.
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof Vent Fan Options Reply with quote

I finally finished the trim (in gray) around my Maxx Air 4000K. I discovered that you probably want to get one with a remote for easy on / off and adjustments when your sleeping.

Anyone knows which remote might work with it?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: