Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ghia VIN Sequence
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FarmGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Ghia VIN Sequence Reply with quote

We own a 1974 Ghia Coupe, canary yellow with autostick.
Trying to figure out where our VIN falls in the production sequence for 1974 model year.
144-272-XXXX
74 Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia VIN Sequence Reply with quote

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1O4MQepBrAnwCKn9EXzSVPUmVA_oUOJU-WrmFUxON-qQ/edit?usp=sharing

The above link provides a recent listing and VIN’s of the known 74 Ghia’s thanks again to ghiamanjc

Hope this helps
FarmGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia VIN Sequence Reply with quote

Thank you very much. Our last 4 digits are 5884, slotting in between #40 and #41 on the list.
Not sure who maintains this list or how comprehensive it is. Presume there are many more '74's out there. Any idea on the significance of the change from 144-272 to 144-278?
74 Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia VIN Sequence Reply with quote

Per Samba there were 7,166 Ghias made in 1974. 5,608 Coupes and 1,558 Verts. As I understand it, Volkswagen shared VIN numbers between the Ghia and the Beetle (both type 1’s) with little rhyme or reason with groups of VIN numbers assigned to each somewhat randomly. I don’t believe anyone besides VW who can tell you just how many Ghias were built between VIN numbers starting with 144 272 XXXX and ending with 144 278 XXXX.

Also, as to how many 1974 Ghias are left, while the spreadsheet is the most current listing of those known to Samba members, the actual number is unknown.

Sorry I couldn’t definitively answer your questions. Maybe somebody out there has a better answer.
FarmGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia VIN Sequence Reply with quote

Thanks for your assistance.
ghiamanjc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia VIN Sequence Reply with quote

Hi @FarmGhia - I'm Jeff (@ghiamanjc) with a 74 convertible. I created and curate the list. I've added you (#44th youngest). I'd appreciate it if you completed your listing as I don't know your car details.

To answer your question.....
- There are virtually no differences between cars at the top or bottom of the 74 model year. As this was the last production year, VW did not want to re-tool the factory line mid-year for any adjustments.
- You may also wonder why the #s are not sequential. Its not because we're missing cars, It because VW made one set of frames and then distributed to other factory lines depending whether it was for a Beetle, Beetle convertible, KG or KG convertible.

PM me if you have any other questions. Happy to help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: