Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trunk liners for all Beetles 1961 & up now available!
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Junkyardjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: Trunk liners for all Beetles 1961 & up now available! Reply with quote

I just started making custom hand cut trunk liners for all Beetles 61 & up, from sheets of Coroplast; which is corrugated plastic. I have them for 1968-1977 standard Beetles, early 1971-1972 Super Beetles, late 1973 & up Super Beetles, and the lower trunk liner that covers the spare on all Super Beetles; which comes with a MDF stiffener. First photo is my trunk liner for the 1968-1977 std Beetle, 2nd photo is the upper liner for the 1971-1972 Super Beetle, 3rd pic is the liner for the 1973 & up Super Beetle, and the 4th & 5th photos are the lower liner for all Super Beetles; also with the MDF stiffener added. I modified the original design for the upper super beetle liner to make room for the wire harness that runs long that edge. I have all the prices in my classified ad here on the samba. So what do you all think of my liners? Thanks in advance!
EDIT: Here is the link to my ad on the Samba that has all of my details; and I now include all Beetles 1961 & up; inc. Supers!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2486317
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2022 Subaru Outback Limited XT in crystal white pearl
2022 Subaru Outback Limited XT in cinnamon brown pearl

Last edited by Junkyardjockey on Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Trunk liners for all Beetles 1968 & up now available! Reply with quote

Junkyardjockey wrote:
I just started making custom hand cut trunk liners for all Beetles 68 & up, So what do you all think of my liners? Thanks in advance!

They look nice in the pictures but years of dealing with VW people has shown me they usually shop by price and if they can get cheaper thats it.
Fiddlestyx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Trunk liners for all Beetles 1968 & up now available! Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Junkyardjockey wrote:
I just started making custom hand cut trunk liners for all Beetles 68 & up, So what do you all think of my liners? Thanks in advance!

They look nice in the pictures but years of dealing with VW people has shown me they usually shop by price and if they can get cheaper thats it.

They could also sell a set of plans for the people that don't want to pay that much. I guess dishonest people might put the plans online though.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Trunk liners for all Beetles 1968 & up now available! Reply with quote

Fiddlestyx wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Junkyardjockey wrote:

They could also sell a set of plans for the people that don't want to pay that much. I guess dishonest people might put the plans online though.

I bet there is a market for the trunk liners and then there’s only one way to find out. I hope the OP sells more than enough to make a profit. Who would have ever thought people would pay hundreds for rebuilt original carbs,fuel pumps, distributors, steering boxes etc,etc. perhaps we are lucky to have people willing to offer these services.
FlyAU98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Trunk liners for all Beetles 1968 & up now available! Reply with quote

I’m intrigued. I don’t “need” a new liner right now, but I like the idea of having some spares around for stuff.

Can you post some pictures of your liners installed?
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Trunk liners for all Beetles 1968 & up now available! Reply with quote

I wished these trunk liners were available 5 years ago. I had to buy one from Mexico.

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Junkyardjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Trunk liners for all Beetles 1968 & up now available! Reply with quote

FlyAU98 wrote:
I’m intrigued. I don’t “need” a new liner right now, but I like the idea of having some spares around for stuff.

Can you post some pictures of your liners installed?

There is a video on Youtube of one style of my liner being installed, here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qyr22UMJN4
this liner shown is for a late super; modified for aftermarket a/c like the Gilmore system. Here is a pic of a liner installed for a std beetle; not my photo, but that is exactly what my liner would look like:

Any other questions please ask! Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Trunk liners for all Beetles 1968 & up now available! Reply with quote

I think it's a great idea, and great execution. Just a little constructive criticism. As a business owner, make sure you cover all expenses and labor. With that said, in your photos, it looks like there are knee prints on the material, possibly made when you were cutting out from the pattern. Try and eliminate that, and the photos you post, may want to change to a softer lighting in your ads in order to compliment the material and detail. This will eliminate any perfectionists who will want to return the product, which will cost you money in the end. Black is a very hard color to photograph. You need lots of light directly above the object.
Junkyardjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Trunk liners for all Beetles 1968 & up now available! Reply with quote

raydog wrote:
I think it's a great idea, and great execution. Just a little constructive criticism. As a business owner, make sure you cover all expenses and labor. With that said, in your photos, it looks like there are knee prints on the material, possibly made when you were cutting out from the pattern. Try and eliminate that, and the photos you post, may want to change to a softer lighting in your ads in order to compliment the material and detail. This will eliminate any perfectionists who will want to return the product, which will cost you money in the end. Black is a very hard color to photograph. You need lots of light directly above the object.

Thank you for your opinion & feedback sir! Sorry it took me so long to reply! Yes I understand about the knee prints & I corrected that issue; I now use a 4' x 4' pc of MDF to kneel on while I am transferring the design to the coroplast & while I'm cutting the liner out as well. Being a disabled veteran my mobility is slightly compromised but I learned to adapt. I have covered all of my expenses that are specifically related to making these liners. I will also adjust my lighting as well. Point taken & understood! Thank you!
Junkyardjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Trunk liners for all Beetles 1968 & up now available! Reply with quote

original post edited & updated above to include a link to my ad for the liners, and my expanded line up. I don't make a ton of money with these (yet), but being a disabled veteran (and my design skills lol) gave me the opportunity to make a few extra dollars. Thanks everyone!
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Trunk liners for all Beetles 1968 & up now available! Reply with quote

I'm not an American, but thank you for your service!
Junkyardjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Trunk liners for all Beetles 1968 & up now available! Reply with quote

viiking wrote:
I'm not an American, but thank you for your service!

you are very welcome sir! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: