Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Voltage regulator replacement
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject: Voltage regulator replacement Reply with quote

My EVC typically only get about 13.5 when driving. Upon start up it will give 14.2 for a very short period of time. Recently when idling with a hot engine and the AC on it will only produce 12.2 volts; battery will read 12.6v when engine is off. I believe that my VR is going out.

I check the system voltage using a cig lighter volt meter. Confirmed with a reading directly off the starting battery that the cig lighter meter is correct (at most 0.1 volts off).

Based on this thread I ordered a Bosch VR and will be attempting to replace when I receive it (might take a few weeks).
https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/eurovan-replacing...t-90453241

Anyone have any insight on this job and the VW EV VR in generally.

What are the chances of this thing just crapping out entirely and leaving me stranded in the next few weeks.
JMB3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Voltage regulator replacement Reply with quote

In this grainy video:
Link
they managed to replace it without removing the alternator from the vehicle.
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Voltage regulator replacement Reply with quote

That is what I was "read" as well. The VR can be "easily" removed. From my experience with our EVs, this means it is possible to be done by a normal mortal human/me.

I discovered that my VR order from Amazon says that I should plan to receive the unit between July 28th and Aug 18th. WTF!!! is someone in Germany building it for me, after mining the material from Russia?

Got to look for the part somewhere that actually has it in stock and can ship it to me reasonable soon.

Feel like I am driving a ticking time bomb.
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Voltage regulator replacement Reply with quote

Still can not figure out what kind of VR I should be buying. Most places do not list a VR for my EV. When they do it looks totally different from the one pictured in the post I have linked, like the one in the video JMB3 linked.

Looks like I am going to have to do some digging before I am ready to order parts. Anyone have more info on this?
1994Karuso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Voltage regulator replacement Reply with quote

The part number should be on the voltage regulator. Pictured is from the alternator for a 1992 2.4D AAB--yours may be different. Bosch is used all over, FWIW I found the "new" one from a junked Volvo 240.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

MrPulldown wrote:
Still can not figure out what kind of VR I should be buying. Most places do not list a VR for my EV. When they do it looks totally different from the one pictured in the post I have linked, like the one in the video JMB3 linked.

Looks like I am going to have to do some digging before I am ready to order parts. Anyone have more info on this?
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Voltage regulator replacement Reply with quote

That is often the VR I see pictured when searching. But I think that I need one that looks like this:

There lies to confusion. The OG part # is also discontinued and replaced by an updated version.

I much rather have the new VR in hand when I go to replace. Oh well I guess I'll just have to pull the part, inspect/confirm, order, WAIT, then replace.
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Voltage regulator replacement Reply with quote

So today's drive saw highway voltages as low as 13.1. Van seems to be very sluggish. Highest was 13.5. Idle voltages dropped as low as 11.9. Revving in neutral will only get the voltages to 12.5.

I think that the VR is sensitive to heat. Yesterday was 100+ degrees. This morning I drove the van in 55 degree weather. Voltage stayed at 14.0 for the whole 18 mile drive. Throwing on the AC will drop it 0.2v.

Need to get this addressed, but had to drive the van as I have my truck apart.

MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Voltage regulator replacement Reply with quote

Found this old post which list some voltage number:

RPM - Test 1, Test 2
700 - 12.10, 11.90
750 - 12.20, 12.00
800 - 12.54, 12.25
850 - 12.95, 12.65
900 - 13.05, 12.90
950 - 13.40, 13.10
1000 - 13.40, 13.15

This is almost exactly what I have. Is this normal. Sounds low.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=657931&highlight=window+ac+unit
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Voltage regulator replacement Reply with quote

I was not able to change out my VR before my big desert trip. On the trip, my voltage with the AC on would be as low as 11.9 when idling and 13.2 at highway speeds. This is with the outside temp around 105. The voltage readings seem to be lower when it is hot outside.

The stock VR is a Bosch FM00 145 225 on a 120 AMP alternator. I thought all the campers came with a 150??

After the trip I installed a new VR. As I was not able to get the same VR as stock I went with a F00m 144 136. After the install my running voltage shows 13.8 and idle at 12.7 (all with AC). An improvement but short of the 14.2-14.4 I am accustomed to seeing on other cars. This is also at temps in the mid 70s. I suspect that at higher temps I will see a bigger drop in voltage.

So what gives? Is my 120amp not sufficient for the camper. Is there some issue with the existing alternator. Van has 95K on it and it looks like the original alternator. The didoes all look ok.

The thread I link to VW vortex in my first post shows the OP getting 14+ after a new VR. Any thoughts are welcomed.

Whridlsoncestood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Voltage regulator replacement Reply with quote

My voltage is typical on my scanguage to what you were seeing. Mid 13’s. Maybe high 13’s at highway speed. Idling kind all over but definitely lower end around mid 12’s. Definitely can see some sub 12’s at low idle. Not a camper though. MV tintop. ‘01. I haven’t tested at battery terminals to see if it’s voltage drop somewhere inline to scanguage and cig lighter ports which read similar of I needed to look into alternator work. Van hasn’t given me any electrical issues. Charges my Bluetti battery system nicely while driving and all.
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Voltage regulator replacement Reply with quote

Whridlsoncestood wrote:
My voltage is typical on my scanguage to what you were seeing. Mid 13’s. Maybe high 13’s at highway speed. Idling kind all over but definitely lower end around mid 12’s. Definitely can see some sub 12’s at low idle. Not a camper though. MV tintop. ‘01. I haven’t tested at battery terminals to see if it’s voltage drop somewhere inline to scanguage and cig lighter ports which read similar of I needed to look into alternator work. Van hasn’t given me any electrical issues. Charges my Bluetti battery system nicely while driving and all.

Thank you for the feedback. I am beginning to suspect that these vans just have subpar electrical systems.

The lower than battery voltage at idle is the most concerning. My battery sits at 12.5v with the engine off. That means that at idle and the voltage is at 11.9 the engine is stealing power from the battery. If left idling the battery would die and so would the engine. THe less that 14v when running is also bad for the battery as it doesn't ever get a full charge. This shortens the batteries overall life span.
BUGSTUFF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Voltage regulator replacement Reply with quote

FYI: It's my understanding that the later MV's and campers had 150 amp alternators. My '03 MV had a 150.

MrPulldown wrote:
Whridlsoncestood wrote:

Thank you for the feedback. I am beginning to suspect that these vans just have subpar electrical systems.

The lower than battery voltage at idle is the most concerning. My battery sits at 12.5v with the engine off. That means that at idle and the voltage is at 11.9 the engine is stealing power from the battery. If left idling the battery would die and so would the engine. THe less that 14v when running is also bad for the battery as it doesn't ever get a full charge. This shortens the batteries overall life span.

Northeast IL VW Association - www.nivaclub.org
www.facebook.com/nivaclub
Volkswagen Club of America - www.vwclub.org
BUGSTUFF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Voltage regulator replacement Reply with quote

Another FYI: europarts-sd.com has a pretty good selection of hard-to-find Eurovan parts.

Northeast IL VW Association - www.nivaclub.org
www.facebook.com/nivaclub
Volkswagen Club of America - www.vwclub.org
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Voltage regulator replacement Reply with quote

BUGSTUFF wrote:
FYI: It's my understanding that the later MV's and campers had 150 amp alternators. My '03 MV had a 150.

I wonder if the alternator was swapped out at some point. The van has been family owned since new. My dad doesn't think that a new alternator was ever installed but he doesn't have records and his memory is not reliable. I took possession of the van at ~80K. Doubt it would have needed a new alternator before that. From the wear on the brushes it would seem about right.

Maybe I should try a 150 amp'er and see if I get more running voltage.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: