Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CLK wheels
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

^ If those tires are load rated for your van that was a great deal.
coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

Thanks and nope - tires are date-coded 2005. I will likely be going with Nokian Rotiiva’s in 215/65 R16. I have been running the Nokian Entyre 2.0’s in a 215/60/R16 and have been really happy with the wear and ride, but want something a tad beefier. Still happy with the pricing - on the north side of the border there is far less inventory to search from, so greater demand and bigger price. The seller had them in storage since 2006 and was not aware of the VW cache.
truepaul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

Martian-mart wrote:
... will the CLK 320 spare work as a spare?
Mart

I have this question also. I own a CLK 320 "spare," but I don't know if I can use it. If it would work structurally, I'd mount a thinner tire on it, and it would be easier than a full-size wheel to fit into the stock Vanagon spare tire slot (behind the front wheels).
MrCarpy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

coqwesty wrote:
Decided a couple a months ago that I was interested in acquiring a set of these to replace my GW 16’s given some comments as to the structural integrity of the GW’s. There was a crappy set of the CLK’s listed on CL for $1000, then last week I used my usual search parameters (Mercedes 16) and a set had been posted 4 hours previously for $425. I emailed the seller and didn’t hear back until the next day when he called and advised that I was first in line from the 30 - 40 emails he has received. I picked them up the next day, with no haggling on price. I would suggest that they are in 8.5 - 9/10 condition, so pretty stoked. They are 16X7 ET37. I am in no rush to install and with the borders still closed which limits my ability to pick up parts and tires, I will be connecting with Chris at T3 to set me up with mounting hardware hopefully later in the year.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Great deal!

So when searching for these from which year & model CLK are these from?

thx Smile
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

'98-'02 CLK, which came with various engines (3.2L = 320, 4.3L = 430), coupe and convertible.
coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

^^^ as above for model years. I typically try a few different key word search options to see what comes up as there are sellers than cannot spell, that do not realize what they actually have, or that have no idea what model they have. As above, I found these under ‘16 Mercedes’ as the seller did not have ‘CLK’ in the ad’s description. Best of luck in your search.
MrCarpy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

campism wrote:
'98-'02 CLK, which came with various engines (3.2L = 320, 4.3L = 430), coupe and convertible.

Thank you Very Happy
MrCarpy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

coqwesty wrote:
^^^ as above for model years. I typically try a few different key word search options to see what comes up as there are sellers than cannot spell, that do not realize what they actually have, or that have no idea what model they have. As above, I found these under ‘16 Mercedes’ as the seller did not have ‘CLK’ in the ad’s description. Best of luck in your search.

Good point! Cool I will try that as well.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

Yeah, I just routinely searched "Mercedes wheels" in about a 2 hour driving radius from my house, plus Atlanta area where I have family. Drove from Asheville to Charlotte to get a set for 200 bucks, I never would've found them if I'd been searching just for "CLK."
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

Once again, I suggest a WTB (Want To Buy ) ad on CL's Wheels+Tires category with a photo of the wheels you're looking for. I got two hits; the first guy wanted waaay too much for his set and the second guy wanted $200.
idle_snail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

idle_snail wrote:
Before stripping (I cleaned up the wheel):

After stripping (same wheel):

This is the worse wheel of the four and will require the most work to polish before anodizing.

snail. 🐌

Do to the corrosion I wasn’t able to have the wheels anodized. Found a solid powder coater that got the job done well!

I don’t know the color code, but it’s a dark metallic grey with some sparkle. Looking forward to getting them mounted on some Falken Wildpeak AT Trail 215/65/16 this week!

snail. 🐌
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BoulderSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

Will the powder coat flake or chip when you tighten the lug nut? It seems like it might be better to leave the area that the lug nut contacts bare. Maybe I’m completely wrong!

Let us know how it goes
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
hope all you kool katz are grubbing off the powder coat in the lug holes

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545413

I’m not sure if this issue applies to powder coated CLK rims. On Bay window steel wheels it can be a problem. Just something to consider. The wheels look nice.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

idle_snail - that's a great color and great looking wheel 'restoration' - looks awesome - fingers crossed on the lug nut facing....
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:

I’m not sure if this issue applies to powder coated CLK rims. On Bay window steel wheels it can be a problem. Just something to consider. The wheels look nice.

https://www.google.com/search?q=powdercoat+lug+nut+mating+faces+rim+forum
idle_snail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

RoryGirl wrote:
Xevin wrote:

https://www.google.com/search?q=powdercoat+lug+nut+mating+faces+rim+forum

Wow! Three posts about wheel lug holes. Gotta be a record.

To ease your concern(s) I ordered this. With a 14mm lug bolt and an R12 ball seat there isn’t much contact left with the wheel holes so I figure it’s better safe then sorry.

Test fitting 👍👍👍

Now I have to color match the center caps.

snail. 🐌
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

^^^^wait a minute - that's not a Vanagon! This thread is now corrupted!
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

Yeah I like eurovans plenty don’t get me wrong but that pic definitely made some vanagon peeps hoping to find clks choke up a little.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

I found a pretty rough set in Charlotte for $100. I'm hoping one day I will be able to have some bad ass bumpers powder coated the same color as my restoration set!
idle_snail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
Yeah I like eurovans plenty don’t get me wrong but that pic definitely made some vanagon peeps hoping to find clks choke up a little.

Keep in mind this is what they looked like when I bought them. Plenty of sets available on eBay right now for what it cost me to save this set.

snail. 🐌
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
Jump to:
Page 61 of 66

Jump to: