Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Go West or Head East for August '21
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

East Coast or West Coast for August 2021
East Coast
34%
 34%  [ 10 ]
West Coast
55%
 55%  [ 16 ]
Great Lakes again
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 29

82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Go West or Head East for August '21 Reply with quote

My vote is yellow stone and the black hills. There is just so much to do out there. But then again I live on the east coast. Yellow stone is gorgeous I have done it in a car on a bicycle and a small airplane. The east coast gorgeous as well it just isn’t as different from the middle of the country as yellow stone. Have a great trip. John
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Go West or Head East for August '21 Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
...I haven't seen it yet, but the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody is supposed to be pretty darn cool. https://centerofthewest.org/

I went there not expecting much (it's the Buffalo Bill Museum after all) and have to say it was simply stunning.

It's really 3 museums as I recall - I skipped the firearms one (undoubtedly good for those into that) spent some time in the Buffalo Bill portion but for me the Native American museum was absolutely amazing, not to be missed.

To the OPs question - August is busy everywhere and there is a lot of smoke and fire about in the far west so my recommendation would be to reserve a spot at Rocky Mountain Natl Park and spend a week (or more) there.

Nice campgrounds (Glacier basin & Moraine Park) with many level sites and easy access to the shuttle bus system. Leave the van parked and take the bus. Since you're camping you can get an early start before all the people staying in town arrive. Most of them don't get much past the parking lots so an early start gets you pretty good solitude for most of the day.

Yellowstone is grand but perhaps loved to death in the summer. At YNP I prefer to stay in Norris Basin - quieter, lots of sites at that end of the park and all the crowds will be far away fighting to get to the Falls and Old Faithful.
Rorke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Go West or Head East for August '21 Reply with quote

Oh man! Great points from both sides.
Such a tough call.

I should say that I have seen a lot. 2000-2005 in a Chevy van.

This trip is all about the kid.

Thank you all.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Go West or Head East for August '21 Reply with quote

All about the kid.

Ask the kid where you should vacation.
For all you know he/she wants to go to legoland in the City!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rorke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Go West or Head East for August '21 Reply with quote

I had her do a project a couple months ago. She had to research her top places and explain her choices.

Redwoods
Rocky Mountains
Pacific Ocean

But I know she will be pumped with any splendid nature.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Go West or Head East for August '21 Reply with quote

Redwoods and the Pacific Ocean are an easy two fer!

I'll call my Brother just outside of Crescent City and tell him you're coming!
He lives in the Redwoods......... and the Northern California / Oregon Coast is stunning!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Go West or Head East for August '21 Reply with quote

West....

and the Pacific Coast Highway Very Happy
Jennybenny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Go West or Head East for August '21 Reply with quote

West. And I’m from the east and will live and die here.

She chose west coast destinations? No brainer.

But you’ll get monster sprinter envy 10x day out west.

And stop at every crap tourist trap crap stand. She’ll love it and it buys down time she needs but won’t ask for directly. And go to a hotel with a pool sometimes. And spend a day finding swimming holes or hot springs. On the east coast we only have swimming holes but that buys a couple days of kid time fun.

I pity you post bastards in the middle of flyover land (I.e., east of Denver and west of Charlestown to make sure haters hate). Ohio is not the center of the universe.

quote="0to60in6min"]West....

and the Pacific Coast Highway Very Happy[/quote]
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Go West or Head East for August '21 Reply with quote

it's going to be darn near impossible to travel 'anywhere' in august w/o a preset plans & reservations.
the NY Adirondacks are filling up, very few DEC campground availabilities even into september. certainly not the 'good spots'
camping was already tight before covid, now.. damn near impossible to just 'wander' w/o a plan and site reservations..
sure you can roll the dice and try and try to get a site for a night due to a cancellation.. but is that really fun either.
there were 10,000 baby boomers retiring a day pre-covid and a damn lot of them by an RV to see the USA now that they're free.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesfinancecouncil/...ed6aa73787

I'd say the NY, VT, NH, ME mtns.. but best to plan and rsvp.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Go West or Head East for August '21 Reply with quote

As a fellow Upper Midwesterner, I can relate; it seems we are situated 3 day's drive from anything considered scenic and exotic ...

As mentioned, much will depend on predicted weather and ongoing wildfires during your planned visit.

If going west, following the path of Lewis & Clark can provide a great drive across the Northern Tier (US-2 is one of my all-time favorites):
https://campwestfalia.com/great-northern-roadtrip-day-1/

Curious about what Hwy 2 offered in the other direction, we loosely followed it to Acadia NP; though the impending US-Canada border opening may now be in doubt:
https://campwestfalia.com/seaway-trail-nova-scotia-week-1/

Either way, have a great trip!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tates1882
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Go West or Head East for August '21 Reply with quote

We are just west of Boise, it has been hot and smokey. We just ran a CCW loop out through Oregon staying east of the Blues, up to Joesph, Hells Canyon and down through central western Idaho. Pretty country when you could see across the valley, people everywhere and hot. The fires in the west are forecasted to get worse so I would double check what restrictions are in place if you head west. Most of eastern WA and northern Idaho has closed all private timber and some public lands.
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Go West or Head East for August '21 Reply with quote

Having previously lived in the Black Hills, I would avoid that area in August at all costs due to the.Sturgis bike rally. It’s going to be busy and finding anywhere to stay will be difficult.

If you end up going to Rocky Mountain National Park, be aware of the timed entry permits needed. I think the you need to apply on the first of the month, Check the website to be sure. I have not been in the park since May, and I miss it. It’s a great place.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Go West or Head East for August '21 Reply with quote

3 weeks? both

1 week from MI through Niagara Falls, then head to Boston, ferry to Provincetown, back through Cape Cod. mV ferry to the Island maybe?

Back home camp in Finger Lakes region, back to MI

Rest and relax and refuel

2 weeks to head west ….il Leave that itinerary for others
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: Go West or Head East for August '21 Reply with quote

The Summer months really are a bad time to Vacation, especially if you hate the heat and crowds as I do.

But with kids in School or working in education I understand that other time options simply do not exist.
That is why I suggest NOT going to the "hot spots" of travel but seek the lesser known and less impressive alternatives.

I've been in Montana when it is simply too hot to move in .early September ....... and I've been in Montana during October, a great traveling month right?
But it was -9° F !
In early November I've been snowed in Great Falls MT with all passes closed or treacherous.

Same spot

Nov 14 2015
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Nov 18, 2017

Like driving an antique VW on vacation, you need to be flexible and prepared if doing late season travel.

Pick your poison I guess.
I choose the Fall season and carry Winter clothing and tire chains.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Rorke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Go West or Head East for August '21 Reply with quote

Thank you for all the advice crew.

I need to be a better planner. I didn't want to make plans until the bus got running, which just happened last week.

We might flip a coin together on Saturday.
syncro surf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Go West or Head East for August '21 Reply with quote

nmerrill wrote:
Recent reports from Maine are = Sh** show busy. Sure, this is likely "the usual places" and the state is large. But, based on what I see in VT, Maine coast must be out of control.

I can confirm this. If you do come to Maine consider the Downeast coast northeast of Bar Harbor. The farther northeast you go, the less people. Very local and very beautiful. The last time I was in Lubec, I complimented the town to a local. He said "please don't tell anyone" - so I won't say anything. Smile
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Go West or Head East for August '21 Reply with quote

if you are just looking to get out and travel and explore but want less people.
head through central Il, Oh, WV
head for the highlands to escape the heat, enjoy the rivers and national forests

any of the area adjacent to the Western Edge (west of I-81) Virginia.

https://vawesternhighlands.com/scenic-drives/

Last edited by danfromsyr on Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Go West or Head East for August '21 Reply with quote

FYI The air quality has been very good here on the coast since the heat dome dissipated but the rest of the West has dangerous levels of smoke.

https://firesmoke.ca/forecasts/current/
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Go West or Head East for August '21 Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
I would go North, either Great Lakes or Maine, Vermont. The weather in the East and West is brutal this time of summer unless you are North in the East.

Or go to Colorado, Montana, Wyoming and stay at high elevations, check for effects of fires before you go.

I agree 100%.. We went West after Labor Day last year. The smoke was horrible. We had an alternate plan that dumped off 4 days, but still had to deal with the smoke. We were among the last to come down off the mountain at Sequoia National Park (it was closed the next day). Then, after cancelling plans, we got a special windshield permit to drive thru Yosemite to Nevada. When we got back to Vegas, smoke was horrible which was absent seven days earlier.

We've canceled this year's road trip to the PNW. And, at the moment, we have no alternate to fall back on!
tates1882
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Go West or Head East for August '21 Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
The Summer months really are a bad time to Vacation, especially if you hate the heat and crowds as I do.

But with kids in School or working in education I understand that other time options simply do not exist.
That is why I suggest NOT going to the "hot spots" of travel but seek the lesser known and less impressive alternatives.

I've been in Montana when it is simply too hot to move in .early September ....... and I've been in Montana during October, a great traveling month right?
But it was -9° F !
In early November I've been snowed in Great Falls MT with all passes closed or treacherous.

Same spot

Nov 14 2015

Nov 18, 2017

Like driving an antique VW on vacation, you need to be flexible and prepared if doing late season travel.

Pick your poison I guess.
I choose the Fall season and carry Winter clothing and tire chains.

Dave

Ha, LOLO pass is a beast. I have been snowed on in August there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: