Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Timing?
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
D. Haviland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Timing? Reply with quote

So, i have a kind of special engine. 36 horse case, 356B crank and flywheel, 912 rods, Harley/ Davidson evolution pistons, 1600 valves in 36 horse heads.
The crank pulley appears to be VW. Looking at it from the rear (of course), there are 3 timing marks. 2 close together and 1 about 3/8 of an inch to the left of those. Which one is TDC? Any thoughts?
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing? Reply with quote

Well the 356A 1600 engines timed at 5' BTDC but if your compression ratio is higher than normal maybe time it at TDC but that was with the Porsche Mechanical Advance distributor that had more total advance than say a VW 009. So it should be in the ball park at the 3/8" mark which I am guessing it's a Porsche pulley that would be about right.
What is the total advance of the distributor, and what distributor is it? Does it have 36 horse heads or 356 Heads?
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Timing? Reply with quote

Deleted due to lack of interest Laughing

Last edited by Jacks on Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
D. Haviland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Timing? Reply with quote

Running 009 distributor, stock cam , and 36 horse heads with 1600 valves.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing? Reply with quote

I didn't know one could do that! That's going to be a similar engine size as the Porsche 356 big bore kit if they are the big 88.9mm Harley pistons and the 74mm Porsche crank. Actually it will be larger displacement, like 1837cc's It's going to be a torque little engine with not much rev probably could run stock carburetor or pretty small ventures if Porsche carburetor were used. Not much can be done with it as far as bolt on stuff goes. It needs 356 Heads or DP 1600 Heads to rev right. Probably a great Bus Engine.
I have a 88mm Bore X 74mm Stroke Dual Port engine in my Bus and a 009. I just time it at 29' or 30' revved.
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing? Reply with quote

D. Haviland wrote:
So, i have a kind of special engine. 36 horse case, 356B crank and flywheel, 912 rods, Harley/ Davidson evolution pistons, 1600 valves in 36 horse heads.
The crank pulley appears to be VW. Looking at it from the rear (of course), there are 3 timing marks. 2 close together and 1 about 3/8 of an inch to the left of those. Which one is TDC? Any thoughts?
I though the OP wanted to know which notch on his pulley is TDC. I think that’s what was asked. Guess not Rolling Eyes
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Timing? Reply with quote

You may have to find it, put a long screw driver in number 1 spark plug hole and slowly rotate engine until screw driver stops rising and see which mark lines up best. maybe spin it around a few times to get slop out. With engine together its the simple way
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D. Haviland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Timing? Reply with quote

RWK wrote:
You may have to find it, put a long screw driver in number 1 spark plug hole and slowly rotate engine until screw driver stops rising and see which mark lines up best. maybe spin it around a few times to get slop out. With engine together its the simple way

Somehow I knew it would come down to that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: