Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bent vacuum hoses do they have part numbers?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonasand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Bent vacuum hoses do they have part numbers? Reply with quote

I need to replace these bent hoses in the picture below, they are attached to the S-boot. Three of them.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

They are bent in a particular way, can I replace them with a generic vacuum hose or are there pre-bent hoses with individual part numbers that I can get?

If so does anyone have a links or part numbers?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Bent vacuum hoses do they have part numbers? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1988499

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Jonasand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Bent vacuum hoses do they have part numbers? Reply with quote

Thanks busdaddy, however I’m in sweden so shipping would take too long. Also they were very expensive at 300 dollars, even if great quality, its still just some hoses!

Is the exact shape of the bends on these hoses needed for proper function, or can they be replaced by same length and diameter generic vacuum hose?
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Bent vacuum hoses do they have part numbers? Reply with quote

Unfortunately these are long NLA and very expensive to buy the hand wrapped silicone replacements.

What you can do is to go to your local auto parts store, and see if they will let you rummage through the various heater hoses in the back room. I was able to get one that was very close to the one that looks like a letter J, and it cost about $6 USD.

When the smaller one needs to be replaced, I'll be doing the same thing.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Bent vacuum hoses do they have part numbers? Reply with quote

Try cutting down one of these sidewinder hoses
https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Molded-Fuel-Line-...amp;sr=8-3

Just a regular guy
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Bent vacuum hoses do they have part numbers? Reply with quote

What’s the ID on each piece? Can you take pictures with a scale in the picture?

Volvo has a lot of evap hose in close shapes to these.
AshC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: Bent vacuum hoses do they have part numbers? Reply with quote

I used someone else's tip from here and used some good quality hose and a "spring former" at the tight bend for the decel hose e.g.
https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/former-for-24mm-od-heater-hose

For the S-boot to breather valve I used a 90deg elbow and two pieces of hose.

These were temporary fixes that became permanent, although for the 'elbow' setup on the breather I'd rather find a hose with a 90deg bend and do that one better.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Bent vacuum hoses do they have part numbers? Reply with quote

if 300 hurts, you are in big trouble.
Jonasand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Bent vacuum hoses do they have part numbers? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

If you by ID mean part numbers, I'm sorry I cant find part numbers for these

Takamotti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Bent vacuum hoses do they have part numbers? Reply with quote

How about converting it to european style breathing system and getting rid of those? EU version has just one hose, and that you can get from Biltema or where ever... 300 for breather hoses is absolutely ridiculous

EDIT: ok now that I look at your latest pictures aren´t some of those EGR hoses? well, it´s not also mandatory to have all that in an old car in europe.

Last edited by Takamotti on Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Jonasand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Bent vacuum hoses do they have part numbers? Reply with quote

Good advice, thanks everyone, now I know what to look for!

Unfortunately, amazon and other links to resellers in the US are a no go as the delivery time is too long. (I'm in Sweden). But thanks anyway for the links. Good for getting an idea of what to look for. That bendable coil thing looks fantastic! Not sure if I can source them here in Sweden, but I'll look into it.

I'll try Volvo and if they cant help me some other shops around here.
AshC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Bent vacuum hoses do they have part numbers? Reply with quote

Below is a picture using the hose former (as mentioned I borrowed this solution from another samba member). Not perfect, but it works.

The supplier I linked in the earlier post is in the UK and I assume ships to EU. I have no affiliation to them, but they are very quick usually. Happy to dig out what size and hose I used.

cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Bent vacuum hoses do they have part numbers? Reply with quote

https://www.retromotioninnovations.com/products/sidewinder

These are great!
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Bent vacuum hoses do they have part numbers? Reply with quote

Some soft copper or aluminum pipe, a bender and straight sections of hose to connect it to the devices will be fine.

A place that makes hydrulic hoses can fab up the bent sections and then you just need to add the connector hoses.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Bent vacuum hoses do they have part numbers? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

The oil breather hose (L-shaped) is 022 129 973C. It's 22mm ID.

The decel valve hose (C-shaped) is 022 201 919. It's 18mm ID.

My company sells an 18mm cloth covered hose which works well to replace the C-shaped hose, you need to use a longer straight piece than the curved part (460mm long). I have tried for years to find a good replacement for the L-shaped breather hose, unsuccessfully.

The molded hoses made by GeeBee and sold here are very good.
Jonasand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Bent vacuum hoses do they have part numbers? Reply with quote

Takamotti wrote:
How about converting it to european style breathing system and getting rid of those? EU version has just one hose, and that you can get from Biltema or where ever... 300 for breather hoses is absolutely ridiculous

EDIT: ok now that I look at your latest pictures aren´t some of those EGR hoses? well, it´s not also mandatory to have all that in an old car in europe.

Very interesting...
so you are saying I could eliminate some of the hoses? Are they not part of the L-tronic FI system on the 79 bus? What hoses could I remove?

If that can be done without ill effect that would be a good solution...
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Bent vacuum hoses do they have part numbers? Reply with quote

Couple interesting ideas here.

When I installed FI in my '73, none of the formed hoses I had were any good. So I made up a mish-mash with some copper pipe (though when I tried formable copper tubing, it was very difficult for me to get a good shape made and I abandoned that idea), clear vinyl tubing, rubber hose, and angled connectors. It works, I guess, but it looks like kind of a mess.

I kept telling myself I'd spring for the silicone set, but like someone else said, the "temporary" setup seems to have become permanent.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Bent vacuum hoses do they have part numbers? Reply with quote

On the Volvo P80 line , 1992-2000, later years 1998-2000 there is anZl shaped and Long U shaped hose in the evap system thst is 18 mm ID that might work well here. Pics and part numbers to follow
Jonasand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Bent vacuum hoses do they have part numbers? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
On the Volvo P80 line , 1992-2000, later years 1998-2000 there is anZl shaped and Long U shaped hose in the evap system thst is 18 mm ID that might work well here. Pics and part numbers to follow

Thanks, that would be helpful...

Also got a tip from a friend that the company Hydroscand in Sweden delivers fuel hoses to Volvo and from their website I can see that they seem to have products for pneumatics and hydraulics. So I will try to ask them if they can help me.

I have to be sure of all lengths and diameters of different vacuum/fuel hoses in my bus. So then I can buy everything from them. They have ethanol resistant hoses, so thats good, not sure of the ones you can get from vw stores.

Arrow Is there a complete list of hoses with diameters for the 79 FI bus?
Ratwell lists the 78 bus, but its not clear to me what the differences are to my 79?

Or should I just measure all hoses with my caliper? Seems it would be best to have all the part numbers and diameters.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Bent vacuum hoses do they have part numbers? Reply with quote

Unless your ‘79 has an automatic transmission and the weird electronic decel valve, all the hoses are the same as a ‘78.

The GeeBee hoses cost three times as much but last ten times as long. You do the math… Smile

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: