Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Plugs foul on 1&3 only need help
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Plugs foul on 1&3 only need help Reply with quote

What's the cam? The whole problem is the cam.... Very Happy
Janne71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: Plugs foul on 1&3 only need help Reply with quote

FreeBug wrote:
What's the cam? The whole problem is the cam.... Very Happy

Have a standard cam
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: Plugs foul on 1&3 only need help Reply with quote

Stock cam? Then maybe take a look at what VW did on later type 3 twin-carb engines: a balance port per intake valve?

I'm really intrigued, as twin-carb type 3s, with that cam, and tiny-plenum manifolds idled on all cylinders. But the pros who knows say that a bigger plenum is better. I'm confused; there is definitely some element of the equation I'm just not getting, probably several.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Plugs foul on 1&3 only need help Reply with quote

The one my sister had ('66) did have a bit rougher idle than my Beetle but I understand the cam was the same. I am thinking the difference between the Kadron idle and the VW Solex idle is carb size. Kadrons are 40 mm but the Solex are 30 or are they 32mm? I forget off hand.
BlueBounty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Plugs foul on 1&3 only need help Reply with quote

Ok folks here's what i have sorry for the sideways pics.
1776 Berg engine I built 10 years ago
I have a W-110 Engle Cam
I believe its 8.1 comp
Duel Kadrons rebuilt by Kaddyshack
Pertronix ignition
Blue Coil
Manx Exhaust

Fouled plug is from #3 and has maybe 2 miles on it its the upgraded NGK number but supposed to be the same as the older on .
Clean plug has 500 miles on it and has the older number on it.

Hope this helps. I guess I can always swap to a single carb but I don't have much space.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Plugs foul on 1&3 only need help Reply with quote

I believe Freebug is correct in saying that the cam has a lot to do with aggravating this inherit single throat/dual carb problem. I think the plugs are telling you the true story, you have one lean and one rich cylinder on each head.

I also see another problem. You have no temperature control on that engine and I would hazard a bet that it is running too cold. My Kadron equipped stock cam 1600 DP would not fire on the front two cylinders cold period! Even fully warmed up on the highway the front two would drop out when I stopped at a set of lights before the light turned green. These engines cool off that quick! Around town driving, it rarely ever idled on all 4. With or without the balance tube it was the same, no difference. I am talking about 70* F days here not winter by the way.

Then I sourced and installed the thermostat and flaps. The difference was remarkable in around town drivability. It still only idled on 2 cylinders on start up but after it was warm it only dropped the front two occasionally if idled for a while. Most of the time they stayed lit.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Plugs foul on 1&3 only need help Reply with quote

Maybe try and swap to non resistor plugs on all cylinders as no1 task. A wimpy blue Bosch coil will not handle resistor plugs very well.
Also, that exhaust is a - shall we call it a challenge. you can not rely on the AFR readings until about 22-2300 rpm with that one. Too much pulsing. You - can - cheat it by closing ½ - 2/3 of the outlet while testing below 2500 rpm.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: Plugs foul on 1&3 only need help Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I believe Freebug is correct in saying that the cam has a lot to do with aggravating this inherit single throat/dual carb problem.

I reallly don't want to disagree with that! But I must...The stock cam should be the most forgiving of all cams available for this issue. I've decided the magic numbers are 235°, or above 25-30° overlap. Above that, and the idle gets lopsided. But in this instance, the cam should not be the issue.

It's strange, stock twin-carb (single port or twin port) engines do not have this issue. Who could sell a car that idles on only 2 cylinders? If you think about it, they are the same shape: a single carb on a tube which splits into two, one for each intake valve. The single-port splits very low, the dual-port splits higher (roughly 4" higher up?), and the Kads have the longest runners (I want to say about 6" higher up. These are all from brain-eyeballing, ass pulling, I haven't bothered to measure a damned thing, but you see the point). Look at type 4 twin-carb manifolds, too.

It seems the issues seem to only appear with the Kads... Is it the carb? Is it the manifold? Is it the tune? Balance tubes help or hinder? A combination?

What if you put a large-diameter balancing tube just between the lower parts of the manifold? (as in drill straight through both runners, as low down as possible, fix 20mm balance tube in the middle, and close up the outside holes)

What if you created a flow bias at the split? How would you do that? I'm thinking about some version of damming and slotting, like to balance A/F in a V8 single-plane manifold?

Lopsided thinking for a lopsided problem...different type/range of plugs for different cylinders?

Just thinking out loud (but, oddly, writing in silence).
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Plugs foul on 1&3 only need help Reply with quote

What about more initial advance, say 14* BTDC? That is something I never tried.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Plugs foul on 1&3 only need help Reply with quote

Correct. Sgl dual carb engines with more cam duration need higher idle timing. I did not recommend that because we knew too little about the set up until "now" 13-14 degrees is a good starting point, and especially with only 8-1 CR.

An engine with stock cam and Kads can - and should idle as a type 3. If it doesnt you have goofed up somewhere.
With sgl barrel carbs the rule of thumb is that the more valve overlap you have the larger plenum you need in order to keep the cylinders from making charge robbing. A balance tube can sometimes make it up for a larger plenum, but the "suction poiint" needs to be in the correct position. (Take a look at the Riechert Solex manifolds and you´ll see what I mean.)

Some people may disagree with me, but I have found that with cams a´la the W110 under dual sgl barrel carbs you need at least 60 mm from underside of carbs to the divider.

These manifolds were made for a 117 hp 1914 buggy engine. Split cam 284. 248/240 @ 0,050" 0,473"/,425" valve lift. on 110 LC. advanced 2 degrees. Puurs like a kitten at 900-925 rpm. and pulls very well from about 1300 & up with peak hp @ 5300.
Ohh, and NO balance tube.
Also, the rough texture is deliberate for best possible fuel atomization.

To further illustrate the matter. This below is a set of manifolds for 34/35 mm Solex PCI´s. The customer had built a street legal (In Austria) 2110 engine for his pre 60 car. But the engine didnt make power. It hovered around 100 hp. I got heads and manifolds up to try and improve them. I did some trial and errors to figure out where the restriction was, and a large part of it was not enough plenum. I made the plenum larger by some 30% I believe and along with a few other improvements like a better valve seat cut along with going from 37,5 to 38,5 mm intake valves to get a better throat relation I was able to increase hp to 115, with more torque everywhere.
On the flow bench the plenum increase was good for almost 15 cfm with nothing else done.

PS. One last thing. When you do this you want to make the center divider sharp like on the top pictures. The Solex manifold is actually too sharp, but I didnt know that at the time. It is better to have a little shoulder there to divide the fuel stream. Reason is, that you want the fuel to shoot off of the edge and back into in the flow. If it is sharp as in the Solex manifold the fuel has a tendency to devaporize and just slide down the wall and enter the chamber like droplets that are very hard to ignite, so you wohnt get much use out of it.
BlueBounty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Plugs foul on 1&3 only need help Reply with quote

So it seems like what everyone is saying is if I dont want to continue to mess with this setup, change everything out to a single carb set up. What does eveyone recommend for a duel port single carb? I'm tired of messing with this and I'm ready to bite the bullet and swap the kadrons out. I'm not looking for power or speed, I just want to putt around town reliably. Thanks for everyone's input.
BlueBounty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Plugs foul on 1&3 only need help Reply with quote

What are the chances that my valves are mis-adjusted causing this issue? Anyone?
Janne71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Plugs foul on 1&3 only need help Reply with quote

BlueBounty wrote:
What are the chances that my valves are mis-adjusted causing this issue? Anyone?

Have the same issue Checked my valv and the clearance was right.
I have put a 1/2” tube Id. between intake now. Didn’t checked my plugs now but it’s idling a lot better so I think it’s fires better on 1 and 3 cyl.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Plugs foul on 1&3 only need help Reply with quote

BlueBounty wrote:
So it seems like what everyone is saying is if I dont want to continue to mess with this setup, change everything out to a single carb set up. What does eveyone recommend for a duel port single carb? I'm tired of messing with this and I'm ready to bite the bullet and swap the kadrons out. I'm not looking for power or speed, I just want to putt around town reliably. Thanks for everyone's input.

I for one didn´t say anything about that. I DID recommend you to swop to non resistor plugs on all cylinders for a start.
Next. With that low static compression you have to increase idle ignition timing to something in the neighbourhood of 15 degrees. (Go to Aircooled net´s web site. They have a technical article about it.)
Those two things will get you in the right direction.
Next is to increase the plenum as I showed you earlier.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: