Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Please don't be a jerk on windy mountain roads
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richfife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Please don't be a jerk on windy mountain roads Reply with quote

I was just in a group of 25 cars stuck behind a 70ish white bus CA license plate "SCARMEL" for almost an hour coming down from Yosemite. Some of us really do want to go home after a long weekend and don't want to spend any more time stuck in a cramped car than we have to.

Not to mention the danger caused by people (not us) passing almost blind out of desperation. There were pullouts every quarter mile or so.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Please don't be a jerk on windy mountain roads Reply with quote

Likely owner lives near Carmel.

Yes, driver should've pulled over, very selfish.....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Please don't be a jerk on windy mountain roads Reply with quote

People were stuck behind the guy for an hour?

That is crazy, totally rude.

I think the law in CA is if you get 5+ cars behind you, at least on mountain uphills, is you are supposed to pull out.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Please don't be a jerk on windy mountain roads Reply with quote

I saw the same signs in co recently on the million dollar highway. 5 or more, pull out and let pass.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Please don't be a jerk on windy mountain roads Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
People were stuck behind the guy for an hour?

That is crazy, totally rude.

I think the law in CA is if you get 5+ cars behind you, at least on mountain uphills, is you are supposed to pull out.

That's what I learned in drivers ed in 1975! Shocked

Yeah, there are some real idiots driving slowly and preventing traffic from passing. Even when the law dictates, that a driver holding back 5 vehicles should pull to the side of the roadway and let them pass.

And then there's the arrogant, "I'm not letting that little VW pass me. No matter the cost!"

I met that guy a couple years ago.
In a passing zone. I pulled out from behind a pickup/camper combo, pulling a trailer with a Jeep on it. There had to be 10-15 cars held up. The driver would not let me by.
When the passing lane closed down. He made the mistake of letting his trailer tires cross the center line rumple strips.
100 Yards later. The left side trailer tires exploded!
Ah! Sweet, Karma has a way of dealing with assholes.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Please don't be a jerk on windy mountain roads Reply with quote

i would have PIT maneuvered the asshole.

man, that's obnoxious and yes it's 5 or more people stuck behind you is when you're suppose to pull over. i am pretty sure that is a nation wide rule, at least it is here in CT.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Please don't be a jerk on windy mountain roads Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

man, that's obnoxious and yes it's 5 or more people stuck behind you is when you're suppose to pull over. i am pretty sure that is a nation wide rule, at least it is here in CT.
Well, that’s fairly extreme to encourage potentially killing an entire car load of people, or more, because of one persons self centered behavior. But perhaps in your mind, that’s acceptable behavior. Now that I think about it, it seems to be reported that this sort of deadly over reacting is happening every day somewhere in our country. Shame
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Please don't be a jerk on windy mountain roads Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:

Well, that’s fairly extreme to encourage potentially killing an entire car load of people, or more, because of one persons self centered behavior. But perhaps in your mind, that’s acceptable behavior. Now that I think about it, it seems to be reported that this sort of deadly over reacting is happening every day somewhere in our country. Shame

I suspect that "skills" has no desire to kill the entire car load of people------only the driver and perhaps the driver's mother.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Please don't be a jerk on windy mountain roads Reply with quote

There also seems to be a mentality that the speed limit is a "minimum suggested speed" and more is better! So there are two sides to that coin. I am on both sides quite frankly. When I drive my Manx copy I want to take my time and enjoy the 360* view it offers in the mountains but when I am in my 944 I can't see the scenery anyway so I want to hang it out and enjoy the curves.

In heavy traffic I cannot do either so I tend to time my trips for when the traffic is light.
richfife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Please don't be a jerk on windy mountain roads Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I want to take my time and enjoy the 360* view it offers in the mountains

Knock yourself out, but use the pullouts!
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Please don't be a jerk on windy mountain roads Reply with quote

richfife wrote:
oprn wrote:

Some of us have a weak pullout game.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Please don't be a jerk on windy mountain roads Reply with quote

I had to pass people in the pullout lane in Oregon for this same BS. Even though there are signs posted regularly to pull over and let others pass. I don't understand it, but I'm a flatlander.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Please don't be a jerk on windy mountain roads Reply with quote

If it wasn’t them, it’d be the next car that wasn’t doubling the posted limit just so they could make record time getting back to the old grind. Rolling Eyes

Besides, how else do you expect them to capture all of those pristine views for their VanLife travel blogs unobscured by SUVs overladen by travel trailers or boats? Twisted Evil

Just be thankful that the Bus was doing close to the posted limit & not one of those that was running on 1 1/2 cylinders, chugging up a 8° grade, single width road at 3.5mph. And you wonder why so many nice citizens were so willing to help push or tow the POS to the top.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.

Last edited by TDCTDI on Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:37 am; edited 3 times in total
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Please don't be a jerk on windy mountain roads Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Jacks wrote:

I suspect that "skills" has no desire to kill the entire car load of people------only the driver and perhaps the driver's mother.

i have zero tolerance for stupidity these days, and it's only getting worse.

for the record...don't want to kill anyone. just get out of the way. that said...the poster said there were 25 cars behind this fool. say car 8 in this line decides to pass and they hit someone in the oncoming lane head on.

i'd rather see the person responsible for the back up knocked out of the way.

lets just say someone called the police. assuming they got right there they are car #26 in line. so now you've put 25 cars in a position where they need to scoot over to let the cop pass. assuming 2 people per car that's 50 people put potentially at risk.

i'm ok with losing 1 bus full of fools. i hope this idiot dropped a valve

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Please don't be a jerk on windy mountain roads Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
And then there's the arrogant, "I'm not letting that little VW pass me. No matter the cost!"

With my 1835cc DP engine, my "little VW" can pass most anything !!!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Please don't be a jerk on windy mountain roads Reply with quote

Skills was in a hurry to meet Cacti.

Mans gotta do….
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Please don't be a jerk on windy mountain roads Reply with quote

Is it ok to be a jerk if it’s calm and still air?
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Please don't be a jerk on windy mountain roads Reply with quote

I have pulled over for the train to pass and I have been upset when the driver does not pull over.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Please don't be a jerk on windy mountain roads Reply with quote

richfife wrote:
oprn wrote:

I hear you! I get equally impatient when I see some nice curves coming driving my 944 and Granny is on the binders hard all the way through!

The ones that really scare me though are the jacked up diesel jocks that think their rides can corner like a Lotus! Lord I hate meeting them in a curve! Shocked Several times I have pulled in behind one and started to push when he passes me to see how close he is willing to come to self destruction but I always chicken out and back off when a picture of the possible carnage flashes up in my mind...
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Please don't be a jerk on windy mountain roads Reply with quote

I remember meeting a guy with a bus in California in the 90s that had a sign in his rear window that read "2 slow, 2 bad". He loved backing up traffic on Rt 1. Some people are just jerks.

Washington state has a law about backing up traffic, or at least Olympic National Park does. I used to know every turn out along Lake Crescent when I lived out there. My bay camper with a 67 bug motor was not a peppy machine. I'm not sure why anyone would want a line of cars riding their bumper for miles.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: