Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Died at a stop light , ideas on the cause?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Died at a stop light , ideas on the cause? Reply with quote

Definitely turns over by hand. I dont think it's the starter because I died at stop light, it was already running. Thats not to say a wire could have fell off or something, but it's all clean and connected.

I have a funky feeling its my ignition switch. I havent found any bad grounds or scuzzy connections
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Died at a stop light , ideas on the cause? Reply with quote

Small update. I checked what I thought was the Ignition failing. I tried to hot wire and bypass, no go. I ordered new wiring and will be tackling a full rewire sooner than expected.

I really want to find the issue before a full wire just in case I finish, then still have an issue. Very very odd. My only other guess at this point is the condenser, but it would probably still be turning over.
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Died at a stop light , ideas on the cause? Reply with quote

I might be mistaken ,but I think there is a jumper wire that feeds the ignition switch behind the headlight switch. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Died at a stop light , ideas on the cause? Reply with quote

Busted-bolt wrote:
I might be mistaken ,but I think there is a jumper wire that feeds the ignition switch behind the headlight switch. Confused

Thanks, I'll look around again. Ive been referencing my wiring diagram and manuals and making sure I didnnt forget to check a fuse, ground, or IGN related wire, so far I haven't found anything blown or out of place.

Hopefully I solve it before my new wiring arrives, either way I am doing my full wiring tear down soon Twisted Evil
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Died at a stop light , ideas on the cause? Reply with quote

electronictofu wrote:
Small update. I checked what I thought was the Ignition failing. I tried to hot wire and bypass, no go. I ordered new wiring and will be tackling a full rewire sooner than expected.

I really want to find the issue before a full wire just in case I finish, then still have an issue. Very very odd. My only other guess at this point is the condenser, but it would probably still be turning over.

Bad condensor would not prevent the starter from working.
I didn't read the whole thread - Have you tried jumping the starter underneath?
When I've starter trouble I lay a screwdriver from the big battery connection on the starter to the smaller wire from the ignition. It should crank at that point if the starter is working. Make sure it's in neutral first.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Died at a stop light , ideas on the cause? Reply with quote

Busted-bolt wrote:

No but the ignition power does go "through" the headlight switch.
Battery power goes to headlight switch, wire then travels on to the ignition.
2 wires are both hooked to the same terminal on the back of the headlight switch
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Died at a stop light , ideas on the cause? Reply with quote

Thats what I thought, my wire female connector broke off there.I just soldered a new end on and was good to go.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Died at a stop light , ideas on the cause? Reply with quote

Definition of a "jumper wire":

https://www.reference.com/technology/jumper-wire-893b2d7c5b8f447d
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Died at a stop light , ideas on the cause? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
electronictofu wrote:

Bad condensor would not prevent the starter from working.
I didn't read the whole thread - Have you tried jumping the starter underneath?
When I've starter trouble I lay a screwdriver from the big battery connection on the starter to the smaller wire from the ignition. It should crank at that point if the starter is working. Make sure it's in neutral first.

That makes sense, I'll try jumping the starter, When I originally died it was at a stop light while driving, then it turned over and over and over and wouldnt start. The next day, no turn over at all. I guess IGN power still goes through the starter, so even if the bus was already running and the starter randomly died, the bus could still be killed? Not sure... Starter wouldnt be my guess, but Ive checked almost everything and it's driving me nuts.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Died at a stop light , ideas on the cause? Reply with quote

electronictofu wrote:

That makes sense, I'll try jumping the starter, When I originally died it was at a stop light while driving, then it turned over and over and over and wouldnt start. The next day, no turn over at all. I guess IGN power still goes through the starter, so even if the bus was already running and the starter randomly died, the bus could still be killed? Not sure... Starter wouldnt be my guess, but Ive checked almost everything and it's driving me nuts.

"Technical" button at top right of this website, hover your mouse cursor over that button. A pop up list will pop up. Left click on the "Wiring" in that list, and that will take you to the type 2 wiring diagrams. Scroll down to your year and choose Euro or N. American wiring as applicable. Get to know your wiring, get to know how your VW works. That way you can understand and sort out on the road what you need to fix....
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Died at a stop light , ideas on the cause? Reply with quote

Thanks. I have a couple manuals, and years ago I printed up my years specific diagram and laminated it. Its been a huge help!

Ive tested:
Battery ok
Starter - "jumped" and turns over"
Hot wired the IGN switch and no turning over
Coil getting 4.7ohms
Cleaned terminals and battery posts
Checked for loose or fallen out wires
Checked all grounds
Checked the few fuses I have in the system

There is an old looking connector (2-3 of them) are these fuses? Could one of these be an issue?

With all above, still no cigar. Jumping the starter works, and the key and IGN does not, so it feels like its something in between, fuse, ground, I have no idea.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Died at a stop light , ideas on the cause? Reply with quote

Those connect two or more wires together.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Died at a stop light , ideas on the cause? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Quote:
three way connector
VW_Jimbo
three way electrical connector

View other images:
From VW_Jimbo Rows Grid

Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Died at a stop light , ideas on the cause? Reply with quote

Sounds like two issues, one for the starter, one for the not running.

If you pop the distributor cap off, turn the key to on so the idiot lights are on,

1) does a test light to the black wire to the coil light up?

2) moving the points with a screwdriver, does it have a spark?
iubhounds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Died at a stop light , ideas on the cause? Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
Sounds like two issues, one for the starter, one for the not running.

If you pop the distributor cap off, turn the key to on so the idiot lights are on,

1) does a test light to the black wire to the coil light up?

2) moving the points with a screwdriver, does it have a spark?

I don't want to intercept this thread but I found this thread because I have a very similar issue with my 57 bug 82E as the OP has with his bus. I went to the Idiot book first, step by step. Then I came here and double checked what I had down with the suggestions.

1) my test light to the black wire to the coil did light up

2) I did NOT have a spark when I opened the points with my screwdriver, ignition key turned on.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Died at a stop light , ideas on the cause? Reply with quote

iubhounds wrote:

2) I did NOT have a spark when I opened the points with my screwdriver, ignition key turned on.

If you reconnect up the test light and turn the engine by hand, does the test light turn on and off?

If the light just stays on, it could be:

1. Corroded up points or oil got onto them. Either way will stop the points from conducting electricity.

2. Bad wiring to the points and condenser.

3. Bad condenser. That can be a constant or on/off problem. A failing coil or condenser can cause a problem that comes and goes.
barfsurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Died at a stop light , ideas on the cause? Reply with quote

Do you have the Muir book on hand? There's a great step-by-step for non starting, it includes how to check out the starter motor and solenoid. If it won't even crank anymore, and there's juice at the starter, that's definitely something to check out.

I have had several episodes in my '66 that were equally confounding and frustrating around the fuel and ignition systems. I'll lay them out here for you in case it gives you some new ideas to try.

Shortly after I got the bus in 2019, it died HARD on me at a light. Just... stopped cold while idling. No sputtering die-off like running out of fuel or anything. It just flat out died and wouldn't crank or anything, like somebody flipped a all switch. Me and a couple of other friendly (and VW-owning) strangers looked for something obvious on the side of the road, but we were all stumped. No obvious electrical issues could be identified. Had to get the bus towed home. At that point, I took one look at the OG wiring and decided to just replace the entire wiring harness as a starting point. That turned out to be a worthwhile effort, zero electrical gremlins really (knock on wood) since that point and the bus started right up! If your bus has original wiring, I'd highly recommend replacing the main harness at some point - maybe even now if you're totally stumped and have original wiring. There are some great tutorials here on the samba on how to do this, it wasn't too bad.

I replaced the Bosch 009 and ancient looking old coil probably 5 or 6 months ago. I replaced those parts not out of any known issue or failure, but with all the varying opinions on the 009 distro, I wanted to try a SVDA and see if it made the bus peppier. Made sense to swap out the coil at the same time. That went fine, and the bus was running OK. A month or two later, I replaced the existing carb for a cheap 34PICT to address my total inablity to get the 30/31 PICT carb dialed in; bus was constantly stalling out on deceleration and coughing/sputtering on acceleration, and I figured it would be smart to just mate up my 1600DP with the stock carb it was intended to run with just to get things as "baseline" as possible before exploring some additional engine upgrades.

Anyhoo, when I got the new carb in... I couldn't get it to start. It would crank just fine, but no signs of ignition whatsoever. Went back to the basics, followed the Muir step by step, and there was no spark. All I had done at this point was change out the carb. Hmm... checked all the wires, got new spark plug wires and bunch of other troubleshooting, and really wasn't sure why no spark. Coil getting juice, whatever tests are laid out in the Muir book passed for the ignition system. I was just about to throw in the towel and get it towed to a mechanic, but as a last ditch effort, I swapped in the OLD, ancient coil and removed the shiny new Pertronix coil. Viola! She started right up. At this point, I assume it was because of a bad or loose connection to the new Pertronix coil. Coils are pretty simple things, right? Why would a brand new one fail? There were some bench tests suggested by the pertronix website for this new coil, and they all passed. But after swapping the coils out a couple of times, it was 100% the new coil that was causing the problem. I've left the old coil in since then and zero issues. Also getting like double the mileage and zero stalls and sputters with the 34PICT at bone stock adjustment to the screws and a 137 main jet.

Hope you get it sorted out soon - hopefully this helps you think through a few additional things to try. Let us know how it turns out!
iubhounds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Died at a stop light , ideas on the cause? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
iubhounds wrote:

If you reconnect up the test light and turn the engine by hand, does the test light turn on and off?

If the light just stays on, it could be:

1. Corroded up points or oil got onto them. Either way will stop the points from conducting electricity.

Thanks for this info. I have not had time to get back to check this following your suggestions but have not forgotten. I will reply once I find out.
2. Bad wiring to the points and condenser.

3. Bad condenser. That can be a constant or on/off problem. A failing coil or condenser can cause a problem that comes and goes.

I just this morning August 3rd that my reply from the 22nd was hidden by your #2 point. I haven't had time to work on the bug until this morning. The light on the black wire on the coil never went off when I turned the engine by hand. It dimmed a little but stayed on. I am replacing the coil now. Also the points were dry, no signs of oil on them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: