Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Please don't be a jerk on windy mountain roads
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Please don't be a jerk on windy mountain roads Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Is it ok to be a jerk if it’s calm and still air?

Thanks.That was bugging me too.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Please don't be a jerk on windy mountain roads Reply with quote

ran into this problem on the 1 going up to Crescent city... dude doing 25 in a 45....15 cars backed up behind... not using pullouts. since Dad was driving (and frankly more ballsy than I am... he said fudge it and passed in the double yellow...

worst offenders lately are
RAV4 drivers
Subaru (anything but a wrx)
Jeep Wranglers....

lets be honest , subies and rav4's have replaced the car of choice for old blue hairs you traditionally used to see in buicks...

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Please don't be a jerk on windy mountain roads Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

He meant windy not windy !!!!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Please don't be a jerk on windy mountain roads Reply with quote

This happens everywhere including on 4 lane highways where 4 knobs drive side by side 10 mph under the speed limit, oblivious of those around them. And it isn't vehicle specific.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Please don't be a jerk on windy mountain roads Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Thanks.That was bugging me too.

It’s the British humour in me
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Please don't be a jerk on windy mountain roads Reply with quote

Makes me think of the Beatles, "The Long And Windy Road" Boo hoo!

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Please don't be a jerk on windy mountain roads Reply with quote

In our part of the country there are no turnouts and no shoulders to move over onto. Sometimes the farm machinery moving from field to field is so wide that it overhangs both ditches. Sometimes you just have to be patient.

No one has ever died on the road from being patient... don't be the jerk that pulls into the oncoming traffic and kills someone needlessly either! I don't know how many times I have seen idiots pull out and pass on a double solid line going uphill on a curve and still live. It's unbelievable how often those idiots get away with it!
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Please don't be a jerk on windy mountain roads Reply with quote

About 10 years ago a guy trying to pass a farm sprayer killed a van full of people. Happened near Pen Yan, NY, the guy got 10-20 years in state prison if I remember.
Our farm rules for operating equipment on public roads was, 1. Obey all traffic laws, 2. Never wave anyone past you, 3. If there is an accident and they don't make contact with you, keep driving.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Please don't be a jerk on windy mountain roads Reply with quote

yes by all means please pull over when you start to jerk on the mountain road weather windy is with you or not. all lives mater even yours.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Please don't be a jerk on windy mountain roads Reply with quote

If I am doing the speed limit and you want to pass, do so at your own peril.

I was hauling some machines on my trailer and was downhill big hills going thru Wheeling, WVa -- some ass passed me and I paid no mind to him. A few miles up the road later I come onto a commotion /wreck, was the asshole - his car was on its side.

Probably some drunk -
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Please don't be a jerk on windy mountain roads Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
If I am doing the speed limit and you want to pass, do so at your own peril.

I was hauling some machines on my trailer and was downhill big hills going thru Wheeling, WVa -- some ass passed me and I paid no mind to him. A few miles up the road later I come onto a commotion /wreck, was the asshole - his car was on its side.

Probably some drunk -

I love happy endings Applause
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Please don't be a jerk on windy mountain roads Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
yes by all means please pull over when you start to jerk on the mountain road weather windy is with you or not. all lives mater even yours.

Does Tucker realize that there are no windy mountain roads in Florida???
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Please don't be a jerk on windy mountain roads Reply with quote

yes there is.!!! Im not far from the highest spot in florida...inface I can go to the beach and be in the mountains....as our beaches, powdery white snow white ase not really sand. they are mica that washed down from the mountains many eors ago. ( long before piglet & tigger were around,but there was still poo) our sand is almost silkey smooth. and squeeks& squeals when you walk on it. although a few of the last herbie canes have washed some of it away and they pump some sand from far out to "replenish" the beach....effing morons, they dont have enough sents to put that sand under the ultra fine beaches we have.but atleast they do it in"lessor used" areas...the mica beaches are almost like glass beeds.. someday these effing morons will have totaly fucked up my beach.
olspeed
Samba Member

Location: In the shadow of Denali, I still don't give a damn how they do it outside

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Please don't be a jerk on windy mountain roads Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
yes there is.!!! Im not far from the highest spot in florida....

So what is that about 10 feet above sea level?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Please don't be a jerk on windy mountain roads Reply with quote

olspeed wrote:
mark tucker wrote:
yes there is.!!! Im not far from the highest spot in florida....

So what is that about 10 feet above sea level?

Britton Hill is the highest natural point in the state of Florida, United States, with a summit elevation of 345 feet (105 m) above mean sea level. Britton Hill is the lowest state highpoint in the United States.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Please don't be a jerk on windy mountain roads Reply with quote

Shonandb wrote:
This happens everywhere including on 4 lane highways where 4 knobs drive side by side 10 mph under the speed limit, oblivious of those around them. And it isn't vehicle specific.

Apparently every state in the country now has posted law that says if you're a semi, stay in the right hand lane...

Except in my good ol backwards ass state of Arkansas. 10 cars backed up behind one lone trucker asshole that doesn't care his semi is only 2 mph faster than the one he's passing

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Please don't be a jerk on windy mountain roads Reply with quote

My other pet peeve, stupid motorcyclists
This happened on Hwy 65 in the middle of my state, note how these lunatics were driving before one of them got served up a nice big heaping dish of karma

Link

Won't stop them from doing it again, see it all the time on this stretch of road

Just remember, EVERY SINGLE TIME you see a wreck involving a motorbike, it was their fault, PERIOD.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Please don't be a jerk on windy mountain roads Reply with quote

was that the same bike that the guy was saying "i see you got new rubber"?

pretty well known that new rubber on a bike is like riding on skates until you get some miles on them.

every spring when i see these fools out on the road i wonder how many will make it to Memorial Day

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Please don't be a jerk on windy mountain roads Reply with quote

Narrow 2 lane road, no shoulders, driving my Buggy at the speed limit and a fully loaded cattle liner creeps up behind and pulls out to pass. 3 miles later he is finally even with with the back of my car and struggling to gain anymore when we come to a slight hill. Now we are going up the hill, can’t see if there is oncoming traffic and he can’t pass so I step on it briefly so he can pull back in and he does.

10 miles later I am back down to the limit, he has a head of steam up again after the hill and in the oncoming lane thundering away again trying his best to get past and not making much progress with a corner coming up. That’s when I decide I’m tired of his game and hit the binders and let him go.

If you don’t have the power to pass then don’t!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Please don't be a jerk on windy mountain roads Reply with quote

I love it when those ass hats record their own induction into the Darwin Awards.

Especially when it exonerates an innocent motorist that gets caught up in their stupidity.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: