Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Funny questions from passersby
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

"When you die can I have it? Oh but I don't mean right now."
Patiently Impatient
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

Whenever I hear someone start off with "Let me guess, that's a... 19XX" I just stand there with a shit eating grin because I know I'm about to be told the most ridiculous incorrect year. Usually they say early 70's.

Then I reply "No, it's a 59" and they tend to be dumbfounded.
"A NINETEEN FIFTY NINE?!".
"Yeah... crazy huh? Even crazier is that this isn't even that old... they were already making these for 9 years at that point."
"WOW..."

I guess they automatically relate split busses to the hippy movement... which relates to Woodstock, which was in 1969, and so forth. Hard for a lot of people to believe these buses went back to 1950.

I will say though, that unless the person is directly rude, I entertain everyone who asks about it, regardless of their age or knowledge. The way I see it, young people showing interest means that maybe one day they'll get into the hobby. Older people showing interest can always open the door to something else (ex: "A buddy of mine has one of these sitting in his garage, it hasn't moved in years!").

I guess I'm not a fan of being a grumpy person.
YellowSplittie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

YellowSplittie wrote:
dubman67 wrote:
62DoKaGuy wrote:
One of top - and most annoying - questions I’ve gotten over the last few years is “did you turn that van into a truck [driving my ‘62 DC] or did someone else?” It is usually quickly followed up with “‘cause, if you did, you have excellent metal skills….

I get that all the time with my dc. A new one of late is "did you put a subaru motor in it?" I want to say "Does this look like a Vanagon?" Lol.

Just this past weekend: "Saab?" as he points to the Bus. At first I was confused that he thought it was indeed a Saab so I responded "no, Volkswagen."

He seemed annoyed with my response. "I meant did you put a Saab motor in it?" Rolling Eyes Oh well.

Yesterday a fellow informed me that "they are putting Volvo engines in these now to make them faster."
mtnbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

.....Is that one of those Dodge vans ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mtnbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

...is that thing four wheel drive ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

YellowSplittie wrote:
YellowSplittie wrote:
dubman67 wrote:
62DoKaGuy wrote:
One of top - and most annoying - questions I’ve gotten over the last few years is “did you turn that van into a truck [driving my ‘62 DC] or did someone else?” It is usually quickly followed up with “‘cause, if you did, you have excellent metal skills….

I get that all the time with my dc. A new one of late is "did you put a subaru motor in it?" I want to say "Does this look like a Vanagon?" Lol.

Just this past weekend: "Saab?" as he points to the Bus. At first I was confused that he thought it was indeed a Saab so I responded "no, Volkswagen."

He seemed annoyed with my response. "I meant did you put a Saab motor in it?" Rolling Eyes Oh well.

Yesterday a fellow informed me that "they are putting Volvo engines in these now to make them faster."

That's weird... I have had someone tell me about Subaru engines and how they were similar. I'm not sure they actually knew people were using them in VWs but I told them it was and we talked about it for a minute.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
"When you die can I have it? Oh but I don't mean right now."

Are you threatening me? Very Happy
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

Clara wrote:

Be a good ambassador.

Yep, that's my thing, let them talk about one they had or whatever, , maybe they will say that they have there Grandfathers Westy still in the Barn, but be kind, tell them to check out thesamba.com and move on.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

I tend to get asked how many miles are on it and then they act surprised that I don't know. It's 58 years old, I'm 35, how the hell would I know?
Speaking of, because I was born well past the air cooled VW heyday, I hate getting told "You just don't know what you have." Bitch, please, I've been obsessed with VWs since I was 2 years old. I know exactly what I have.
But the one that makes me cringe to my core is when I someone makes some Scooby Doo reference.

Most stuff doesn't really bother me because I know they just think it's cool.
Like Clara said, be a good ambassador.
Plus, I love it when I run into someone who actually did own an aircooled VW when they were newer cars. Those folks aren't getting any younger and I love hearing those stories before they disappear forever.

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Come to my show! www.volksjam.com

Looking for badge/sticker/frame from Western Motors in Great Falls, Montana
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

Thought about this thread this weekend when we met-up at Doheny with the Bus crew. The most asked question was "How long have you owned it"
Asked over and over more than any other question.

The strangest and most misinformed question was "what model had the door in the front" referring to the Fiat or BMW.
There was an old guy with a "Perfect 21" that he refused a sale for 220k at auction. It is PERFECT, even the nuts and bolts. Too perfect for me. I think he went home and cleaned the tire treads, my 21 is still full of dog treats and sand.
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

VWAdam wrote:

But the one that makes me cringe to my core is when I someone makes some Scooby Doo reference.

ugggghhhhh yes. I used to get that with my bus back when I drove it like 15 years ago! And I've since owned other types of vans over the years as well, same thing. I've had a 73 Ford Econoline, a 77 Dodge Tradesman, even my 95 Previa... Same old tired jokes "where's Scooby? free candy? kidnapping anyone? durrr hurr hurrr" just STFU and get some new material already.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

pulled in to a camground ( I was the only vehicle in the parking lot ) and went to the desk to register, a lady was coming out and said ( in a very spunky new york ( brooklyn) accent )
"oh my god!! does it run!??"

I said "no I get it towed everywhere, would you be able to tow me to my campsite"

when I get the 'what year' question and I'm feeling salty I just say like 88' or whatever.

my least favorite is when I'm mansplained that the engine in my bus is really a 1400 cc or whatever, this seems to often happen at gas stations after they have asked me what engine I have and I open the decklid and say its a 1776 90.5 mm and 69 mm stroke with stockish heads and dual dellortos. the guy always says "no its a ( whatever wrong info ) , thats what they have "

I personally like Dave ( the piano guy ) from the bus movie who had the list of questions he would answer and the cost.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

Quote:

I personally like Dave ( the piano guy ) from the bus movie who had the list of questions he would answer and the cost.

That was one of the best parts of the movie
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

When I was towing my DC to its current location, a guy at a gas station asked what I was going to do with it. To his horror, I said I was towing to a scrap metal place. He said "I'd give you $100 for it right now." I told him I was getting $1,000 in scrap, he said "Yeah, I'd take that over my offer."

5 minutes later, another guy started chatting me up and asked what I wanted for it. I told him $10k would take what's there, he said "For a cut up bus? No thanks."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

iamdonquixote wrote:

I think I know what you're talking about. Does anyone have a link or how to find this? I remember a menu board that was funny as hell IIRC.
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

ronjonlasvegas wrote:
donald.lemay wrote:
So nobody gets this one at cruise nights-“ I bet u wish u had the little windows on top”. I feel like saying saying- I bet u wish your Cutless was a 442 DB. I told my buddies who are new to the bug seen that this would happen to me and we weren’t there 5 minutes and it happened. All I said was and there it is and walked away. My buddy who’s borderline comedian explained how rude that was.

I own a 1965 standard with the factory sunroof. I get people at local car shows tell me you know you could add the skylight windows and make it a 21 window and then it would be worth big money.

I also used to get the guys who tell me that my double cab almost looks like the truck bed was done at the factory. Then they proceed to tell me that Volkswagen never built a truck, but the conversion was done pretty well.
Seriously... WHO are these people that don't think VW ever built trucks. Did they ever hear HOW the CHICKEN tax debacle came to be[ well, probably not.... Razz Razz ]
When I was younger, we called the trucks Flying Dutchman, still don't know who came up with that term for the Single and Double Cabs, but I never heard anyone around me call them by any other name at the time.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

vwuberalles wrote:
VWAdam wrote:

ugggghhhhh yes. I used to get that with my bus back when I drove it like 15 years ago! And I've since owned other types of vans over the years as well, same thing. I've had a 73 Ford Econoline, a 77 Dodge Tradesman, even my 95 Previa... Same old tired jokes "where's Scooby? free candy? kidnapping anyone? durrr hurr hurrr" just STFU and get some new material already.
Because I have the Vanagon, we get the Scooby Doo comments all the time. Although everyone who asks about it always tries to date it 10 years older than it is, confusing it for the Bay Buses.
My favorite comment came from a CTA Bus here in Chicago[ City Bus Driver], at a stop. She wanted to know if it was good on gas. So there we were, VW and City Bus, idling away with windows down at a stop light, talking about Gas Mileage....
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

iamdonquixote wrote:
I said "no I get it towed everywhere, would you be able to tow me to my campsite"

Reminds me of the time my Vespa conked out and I was pushing it back to the garage. Some dude asked me if it died, and I was just like "Nah, it's a nice day and I don't have a dog, figured I'd walk this instead."
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

mtnbus wrote:
...is that thing four wheel drive ?

I only got that one in the baja truck. This high school kid obviously didn't believe me when I said no.
It was in Willits, and he knew 4WD Very Happy Laughing

It obviously has off-road mods, and was class 7 raced in about 1977
Scope out the Johnson anti-hop kit caused angle of the rear suspension when it is airborne.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Don66bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

I was getting a police check to volunteer at a school and the officer handling the line was chatty. We started talking about my bus and he asked "Does it have that raised teak flooring?"

Maybe he saw that in England?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: