Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering column grommets/bushings….
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Steering column grommets/bushings…. Reply with quote

Since I’m getting ready to do front end I notice my steering squeaks from within the tube. I’m not worried about the outside & thru-firewall rubbers, just the inside. Maybe just lube the old ones or replace them?

I had the tube in my ‘63 chromed eons ago for showing & can’t remember what it looked like inside and/or if I took any bushings out when I had it chromed. Laughing

Thx
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering column grommets/bushings…. Reply with quote

Here is the bushing you should have.
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111415581A
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering column grommets/bushings…. Reply with quote

Aaaah.....Thank you! (Not even rubber and I also notice that it looks like my '63 would've probably had a hard-bearing style anyway so definitely different)

I'll order one up! Cool
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering column grommets/bushings…. Reply with quote

I am getting a 56 Canada Custom back roadworthy for the shop owner.
The steering is a little stiff and I suspected a binding steering box, but after removing the (badly worn) steering shaft coupler, I discovered it was the steering shaft that was stiff, not the box.
I pulled the steering wheel and discovered that the sleeve on the steering wheel that slides into the bushing in the steering column is too snug in the bushing, causing the resistance.
The bushing is original I am pretty certain as it is rubber sleeved.
It is still lubed and there is no corrosion on the steering wheel sleeve - it seems like the rubber has swelled.

I can change out that bushing for a WW nylon one, but I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem with a 65 year old swollen bushing??

As an aside, my 57 steering feels pretty much the same, so I'm suspicious of it's bushing - making me question if this is a chronic issue??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: