Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any Wine drinkers in here?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silver65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:08 am    Post subject: Any Wine drinkers in here? Reply with quote

I saw the beer thread and figured I would make one about wine. I'm a total noob but I am really liking California Cabernets. Im a big fan of this one bottle called Bonanza. Any other suggestions or pairings out there you guys would recommend?
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Any Wine drinkers in here? Reply with quote

your location is key. What's $50 in CA can be $500 in TX...

not a big wino myself, I'm a vodka drinker, potato mostly. Monopalowa is my favorite. But I do like a good zen (7 deadly is good and reasonably priced) some big reds like Malbec's, A gerwitz for thanksgiving, etc. I like a buttery chardonnay (thats where I found cakebread that is relatively reasonably priced in CA is definitely not a reasonable price in TX lol)
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Wine drinkers in here? Reply with quote

I like wine but I知 not drinking the f* merlot.......

-Miles
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Wine drinkers in here? Reply with quote

Wine in the bathtub is fun.

No pictures: Everett would get mad.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Wine drinkers in here? Reply with quote

Let痴 here the stories about wines like MD2020 or Night Train or Cold Duck, Boones Farm etc,etc. we had one called Red Rooster but we called it the kicking chicken and it was used as communion wine at church. Reunite Lambrusco is another top shelf juice.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Wine drinkers in here? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

-Miles

This thread just went sideways.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Wine drinkers in here? Reply with quote

Back when I was a drinking man, Nightrain was the go to ( the bigger bottle has the bigger train ). Best served ice cold in a paper bag next rail yards or basement apartments. I've had many high dollar wines, the Spanish, French, and Italians have amazing selections. However, Armenian and Austrian ( Burganland) offerings are just incredible and require a trip to the region as they rarely are up for export.

Oddly, I have better memories with bum wine than all the others combined.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Any Wine drinkers in here? Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Abscate wrote:

-Miles

This thread just went sideways.

Noice, uh oh, Sandra.
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Any Wine drinkers in here? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
we had one called Red Rooster but we called it the kicking chicken and it was used as communion wine at church.

My church serves early vintage Sangue du Cristo with genuine JEEZ-ITS brand communion wafers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Any Wine drinkers in here? Reply with quote

I sell wine & spirits for a living. I like my hobby of talking VW's better! lol
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Wine drinkers in here? Reply with quote

About 20 years ago the Rio in Vegas had what was then the worlds largest collection of wine. All in a cellar for us to see, some very rare very old and very expensive. They served up flights for very reasonable prices.

What we did was take advantage of the wine tasting and lecture giving by their resident sommelier. All for about 30 bucks per person and we drank some expensive wines. Lots of fun and you were supposed to spit it out and clear your palate but some of us knew better and drank it all. I got a headache and the shits but I壇 do it again. That wine collection is long gone now I looked last time I was in Vegas 2017.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Wine drinkers in here? Reply with quote

We have loads of wineries in this part of the country. Some have been awarded above the California Napa Valley vineyards.

Almost all the local vineyard have wine club memberships. I joined one. Plum Hill vineyards.
They had a 2011 Pinot Gris. That somehow came out as a sparkling white wine that was delicious. I bought a case of it. sadly I only have one bottle left in my stash. Sad

They also had a 2008 Shiraz that was so good. The vineyard actually went to the local distributors and bought back all the bottles that had not been sold. It was yummy!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

For OBUS. See we can talk about wine and old VW's too! Very Happy

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Wine drinkers in here? Reply with quote

Eventually this will turn German and I値l say I like the sweeter varieties over dry. https://www.seriouseats.com/german-wine-introduction
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Any Wine drinkers in here? Reply with quote

When I was working as a cook, the wine captain asked me to put together a special desert plate as he had sold a "special" bottle of wine to a couple. I agreed, provided I got what might be left in the bottle. I put out a platter of tasty cheeses, fruits and desert items and a little while later he came back with the bottle, about half full, poured a glass and set the bottle down in front of me. The chef's eyes bugged out, as it was a Cheatau d'Yquem that cost a few hundred.

That was the day I truly understood the meaning of "nectar of the Gods".
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Wine drinkers in here? Reply with quote

"Vin Nobile de Montepulciano" from Tuscany
...not the stuff from D'bruzzio in southern Italy, (however they spell it!)

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Wine drinkers in here? Reply with quote

I know shit about wine, but I do know that when having a nice steak, I want a full, strong Cabernet or something like that. My wife knows what's best, and I trust her instincts.

Only time I drink wine, is with red meat. The perfect pairing.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Any Wine drinkers in here? Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
I know shit about wine, but I do know that when having a nice steak, I want a full, strong Cabernet or something like that. My wife knows what's best, and I trust her instincts.

Only time I drink wine, is with red meat. The perfect pairing.

Mmmmm. I値l be right over
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Any Wine drinkers in here? Reply with quote

why does the diet coke taste like shit?but the diet pepsie is ok?that just dont make good cents? diet dew is ok, so is diet dr peeper...so whats rong with the guys at coke????? and where do they get the funkey water for that lacrox drink??flint mitchagain?? dam thats nasty stuff....is that wining enough for this thread??? Im sure it will get removed.oh well i tried.
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Any Wine drinkers in here? Reply with quote

I've been fortunate in that my job selling wine & spirits has sent me to Italy twice, Napa twice and Sonoma once on the wine end of things. Even if you aren't a wine person per se, i find the whole process interesting. With the Wife being disabled and on so many meds i don't have a drinking partner for the most part unless we are out with family or friends. We used to bring a bottle out to dinner with us when she wasnt as severe as she is now. Id get 3 glasses and she would get 1!! Now i'd have to kill the bottle myself and i don't have it in me to do that these days at my age.
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Any Wine drinkers in here? Reply with quote

Silver65 wrote:
I saw the beer thread and figured I would make one about wine. I'm a total noob but I am really liking California Cabernets. Im a big fan of this one bottle called Bonanza. Any other suggestions or pairings out there you guys would recommend?

THE MAKE Bonanza in a nice box in an odd shape, it never fits in the cart right.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: