Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

what you should look for....and I do not know if they were optional or just came on certain years and models....but look for the metal chromed versions of those.

Nice either way!

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip Ray! I just heard that there is a VW car show in Tsawwassen (south of Vancouver, BC) August 22. There will also be some Swap tables. I will make sure to take my list of "wants and needs" to see if any VW enthusiasts have any 411/412 parts. The show is free from 9 to 2 on Sunday. Definitely scaled down from their usual 3 day event.

Thanks,
Walter
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Some more Saturday cleaning of parts. At least it keeps me connected to this project while the body of the car is with the restorer/bodyman. Here is the heater vent before:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And after:

The battery hold down bracket all rusty:

Still rusty bracket...but a bit cleaner. Probably need to media blast and then paint.

Walter
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

always nice!

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Saturday's cleaning project involved the taillights. The lenses were pretty easy to clean.
Before:

After:

Here is a question. I've got tiny chunks of dirt stuck inside this taillight. Any ideas how to get them out? Does this come apart?

I also have a crack near the Philips screw. Just planning to superglue it together.

Regarding the seals of the assembly, has anyone made their own or does anyone have a lead on NOS seals. Both the big black rubber and the smaller white ones.

Thanks in advance,
Walter
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Yes, I had the same dirt/dust issues with the rear lenses. I looked at taking them apart but deemed it impossible. I drilled tiny holes at each end of the seam or cavity where the dirt is. I then injected soap/ WD40 or any cleaner you desire and let it soak. Shake it around and try to break up whatever is in there. Flush it with water and probably repeat this a few times. The little holes that were drilled can be sealed with silicon if you want. This method worked for me and if you drilled the holes close to seams you will never see them when finished. Just be careful when washing the lenses. I used a small bucket and banged the lenses on the sides. I actually broke one but was lucky to have other matching sets at my disposal. Good luck! By the way, my seals were in good shape. I soak all my reuseable rubber in Simple Green and this seems to breath new life into them.

Bill
Hawker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Your domestic dishwasher is very good at cleaning plastic lenses etc.

BR,

Rob
hulken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Try this...

https://airheadparts.com/vw-part/seal-tail-light-lens/
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips on cleaning tail lights. Will try on the weekend again.

Walter
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

More work on the tail lights this Saturday. I came up with the following idea which worked quite well for getting the particles of dirt out of the rear lens. A hobby air compressor:

Tail light with the particles removed:

One of the bulbs was really corroded:

After spraying penetrating oil and wiggling and then losing patience...the remains of the offending bulb:

Scrubbing, sanding, scraping:

Thus endeth this Saturday's cleaning.
Walter
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Good work. How did you get the compressed air into dirty closed in spaces?

Bill
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

I was able to shoot the air in just left of the screw and then the particles came out just right of the screw. Probably how the dirt got in there in the first place.

Walter
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Here it is another Saturday and I haven't even posted last Saturday! I came across the cable for the gas flap release and I know I'll have to do some fixing. I'm sure Ray has some wise words for me. Here are the photos:

The good news is that when I pull on the tiny point of the cable, the release mechanism moves! Only question, where to start? Is there a way of just fixing the plastic housing? The middle of the cable seems to be in great condition. Only the ends are in bad shape. Plus I'm missing the pull knob as well.

Cheers,
Walter
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Yes you CAN just fix the plastic housing.....but that would not be the way to go....meaning NOT the onpy thing that needs to be done.

But....you have the very good bonus situation.....that it is functional and you have not lost the lid or any other parts.

Your gas flap cable assembly needs far less than a serious repair or full rebuild....but also needs a good deal more than just the cable sheathing.

And......here is my warning:

Do not take the easy way out simply because its functional right NOW.

This part is RARE. I have never seen a new replacement in my life.....and I have looked. It fits no other car made.

But.....I have seen many on junkyards in low miles cars back in the early 1980's...and they were already either broken or having problems.
My first car....my 1972 VW 411 four door....I got in 1979 and it 55k miles on it. Its gas flap was already on the way to being broken and it sucked when it did.

The problem is pretty simple. The little pot metal box on the flap end....has a lid that tends to leak water in.....and this assembly is right in the wheel spray path. That and even not living in a wet weather area.....the standard lithium grease inside turns to a solid, breaks down and starts corroding the cad plating inside on the latch assembly.

Eventually it siezes up and the latch end snaps off and you are done. Or, the corrosion causes the little rectangular plate lid to fall off.....the whole thing corrodes and breaks at that point.

When this part breaks.....there will be nothing to hold your spring loaded gas flap closed. That sucks. It will bobble in the wind when you drive. Fix it PERMANENTLY now.

Yours needs to have the rectangular lid removed. You need to pump solvent through the whole assembly and clean it out well. Then lube it with Automatic transmission fluid....which will last forever. You can put a dab of superlube inside the flap latch box. Re-attach the lid.....and use any kind of heat shrink for the outer sheathing.

Here is the "how to":

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=656055&highlight=gas+flap

Here is Lars excellent thread on actually re-making a broken latch finger:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=687625&highlight=gas+flap

Ray
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Thanks Ray. I had already read your "How To Post" previously, but was just wondering how much I had to do. I guess that will be my next project.

Went to a VW swap meet on Saturday and found nothing for 412's. However, after I made the complete rounds, I was introduced to another fellow asking about 412's. Turns out he lives in Chilliwack, which is really close by, and has a whole bunch of parts. He came out to the VW car show in Tsawwassen (Vancouver) yesterday and brought me some parts. This was definitely a good day.

Cheers,
Walter
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Hi Walter,

You might look at this type 3 fuel door release cable. If you need one or use part of it, it might work. It’s at ISPWest part # 311 821 241. Check it out.

Bill
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Last weekend I took a break from the 412 and went to a swap meet and a VW car show with my '66 Bug. Fortunately, I met someone with 412 parts and here is what I purchased:

Turn signal in very good shape:

Two headlight bezels that cleaned up nicely:

The seals were shot (will need to find a solution):

Ebrake boot also cleaned up nicely:

A pair of grills and seals:

And some unknown (to me) parts:

Windshield wiper motor apparently works, but I haven't cleaned it yet. I was very pleased with my find.

Walter
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Good Morning Sambaland members! I had a good day yesterday fixing the gas flap release cable. Started off by clamping the rectangular end into the vice.

Then I popped open the cover by using a razor blade. I was surprised how easily it came loose. I removed all the old grease. Sprayed lots of penetrating oil into it.

Plastic housing was in bad shape at the top end.

Removed the grommet by gently prying it off.

Similarly the gasket. Will see about buying a new one.

After a short shopping trip to buy some ATF, I resumed my work at home with the following supplies:

I repaired the plastic housing with three layers of electrical tape.

Now came the best moment, injecting ATF fluid with my 412 syringe! Lots of back and forth movement until the fluid appeared at the bottom of the cable.

Put a clothes pin at the bottom to hold the spring down.

Filled up the box with Superlube.

Closed the lid by striking it just so with a round punch. (Took a few tries.)

Used Marine Goop sealer to make it more watertight.

And finally used the heat shrink tubing at the far end.

Now all I need is a new knob and gasket.
Cheers,
Walter
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

NurseryWalt wrote:
Good Morning Sambaland members! I had a good day yesterday fixing the gas flap release cable. Started off by clamping the rectangular end into the vice.

Then I popped open the cover by using a razor blade. I was surprised how easily it came loose. I removed all the old grease. Sprayed lots of penetrating oil into it.

After a short shopping trip to buy some ATF, I resumed my work at home with the following supplies:

I repaired the plastic housing with three layers of electrical tape.

Now came the best moment, injecting ATF fluid with my 412 syringe! Lots of back and forth movement until the fluid appeared at the bottom of the cable.

Put a clothes pin at the bottom to hold the spring down.

Filled up the box with Superlube.

Closed the lid by striking it just so with a round punch. (Took a few tries.)

Used Marine Goop sealer to make it more watertight.

And finally used the heat shrink tubing at the far end.

Now all I need is a new knob and gasket.
Cheers,
Walter

Excellent work!

Ray
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt's 1973 412 Barn Find Reply with quote

Cleaned up a few more parts this morning. But the next item on the agenda is the window regulators. I'm sure there is post for the procedure of getting them working smoothly again. I've never done anything like this before, so this could be very interesting! Here's what one of them looks like:

Thanks in advance for any advice or words of encouragement,
Walter
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 14

Jump to: