Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Going To The Dark Side-A Subaru Conversion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Going To The Dark Side-A Subaru Conversion Reply with quote

quote:I'm not brave enough to tackle the wiring harness mods, so I'll be sending mine off. I'm curious to see how the harness modifications differ from an engine only 2.5 conversion.

The harness mod is just stripping away what you don't need for the engine to run. With the TCM you just keep that intact with the harness as well. It's pretty straightforward working back from the ECU connector.

88 Wolfburg auto with 02 2.5L since 2003.
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Going To The Dark Side-A Subaru Conversion Reply with quote

@oldskewlsk8ter-what engine mount system did you use with your conversion?

While I could probably do the wiring harness mods myself, I'd prefer to have someone who has a lot more experience than me to look mine over, spot issues, and help come up with ideas for this configuration.

Todd sent a pic of his test mule's shifter linkage. He uses the VW automatic gear selector and the shifter rod from the Vanagon automatic. What he did was build a 2-piece lever of metal bar that pushes the subaru shifter on the side of the transmission when the Vanagon shifter and shifter rod pulls. Shouldn't be too complicated to build once the metal piece pivots and angles are figured out.

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
oldskewlsk8ter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Going To The Dark Side-A Subaru Conversion Reply with quote

Silverghost500 wrote:
@oldskewlsk8ter-what engine mount system did you use with your conversion?

While I could probably do the wiring harness mods myself, I'd prefer to have someone who has a lot more experience than me to look mine over, spot issues, and help come up with ideas for this configuration.

Todd sent a pic of his test mule's shifter linkage. He uses the VW automatic gear selector and the shifter rod from the Vanagon automatic. What he did was build a 2-piece lever of metal bar that pushes the subaru shifter on the side of the transmission when the Vanagon shifter and shifter rod pulls. Shouldn't be too complicated to build once the metal piece pivots and angles are figured out.

Mine is using an older smallcar mount.

I built a linkage like the one Todd sent you a picture of. No amount of fiddling with it would get it to shift into all gears. I only had P R N D. It shifted fine on the bench, but the stock shift rod/cable just didn’t have enough movement to shift into the lower gears without more work than I was willing to dedicate to it. Once I figured out how to mount the Subaru shifter, the rest was easy. It’s also more aesthetically appealing than the stock VW shifter. I just need to build a console around it now, but it works fine without one.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Going To The Dark Side-A Subaru Conversion Reply with quote

oldskewlsk8ter wrote:
Once I figured out how to mount the Subaru shifter, the rest was easy. It’s also more aesthetically appealing than the stock VW shifter. I just need to build a console around it now, but it works fine without one.

would love to see pics when you hve a chance.

if my 2004 engine is actually drive-by-wire, I'm looking to, in addition to the manual shifter linkage, remove all items from the center underbody to possible future under-floor storage or a long-range gas tank I saw her eon the Samba. would be nice to have more than a 250 mile range.\

Shifter - subi cables routed around
coolant lines - flex hoses routed around
E/parking brake, haven't figured out this one yet

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Going To The Dark Side-A Subaru Conversion Reply with quote

Hey Silverghost if someone rains on your parade there is an ignore feature here.
Mostly helpful supportive folks.

Best of luck with your swap !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Going To The Dark Side-A Subaru Conversion Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Please feel free. It's very freeing.
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Going To The Dark Side-A Subaru Conversion Reply with quote

@crankey and zeitgeist13, I appreciate the suggestion, but I don't feel the need to block or ignore anyone yet. I don't want to turn this into another Facewhine.

@oldskewlsk8ter, I'd like to see pics of your adapted Subaru shifter and linkage setup too. I'm trying to picture the shifter on the floor, and it would seem it would be a pretty low reach for the driver unless you built a console to attach it to.

@vanis13, if it were me I'd opt for the extra fuel storage. Especially if you do a lot of overloading in your van. Not sure I'd go with an electric parking brake system though. I kinda like the mechanical parking brake rip handle.

When the Subaru drivetrain is installed the shifter mechanism at the transmission will be on the left side of the vehicle instead of the right like the current VW automatic configuration. Perhaps moving the middle section of the shifter linkage toward the center of the van would give the travel needed for Todd's linkage configuration?

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Going To The Dark Side-A Subaru Conversion Reply with quote

if you don't quote the minivan driving troll then I wouldn't have to see his useless posts.. Rolling Eyes
as for the subie automatic, for some odd reason I've visions of using a column shifter to free up the floor space.

and a Subie automatic would be a nice match up with my SVX I've had here under the work bench.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Going To The Dark Side-A Subaru Conversion Reply with quote

@vanis13-If your's is DBW will you run a DBW pedal in the cab, or configure a mechanical interface between the VW physical throttle cable and the DBW mechanism?

vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Going To The Dark Side-A Subaru Conversion Reply with quote

Silverghost500 wrote:
@vanis13-If your's is DBW will you run a DBW pedal in the cab, or configure a mechanical interface between the VW physical throttle cable and the DBW mechanism?

I was thinking putting the DBW as the main pedal under my foot and running wire to the engine will allow me to eliminate the throttle cable in my quest of emptying the center underbody for some other use.

vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Going To The Dark Side-A Subaru Conversion Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
Silverghost500 wrote:

I was thinking putting the DBW as the main pedal under my foot and running wire to the engine will allow me to eliminate the throttle cable in my quest of emptying the center underbody for some other use.

Interestingly, the VIN parts/schematic searches for the 2004 donor I'm picking up Sat show either a cable or DBW.

Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Going To The Dark Side-A Subaru Conversion Reply with quote

Kinda odd to have two configurations listed for throttle. Perhaps a mid-year changeover to DBW system?

Wishing you good luck retrieving the donor car Saturday. We did well retrieving my donor, but the positive battery cable came apart when we were about to get it off the trailer. Had to clamp what was left to the positive battery post using an insulated A-clamp.

Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Going To The Dark Side-A Subaru Conversion Reply with quote

The engine is out of the donor car. Anyone pulling their own engine from a donor car with the car on jack stands pay really close attention that you got all the nuts and bolts that hold the engine to transaxle bell housing, especially on the left side. Also, if your donor is an automatic transmission disconnect the transmission cooler lines that are bolted to the bottom left cylinder head. Narrow clearance between bottom of cylinder head and vehicle's frame/crossmember to get a 10mm wrench or thin ratchet & socket in there.

I learned many, many years ago to make up ziplock bags with names of fasteners and what they go do ahead of time. Makes reassembly down the road a little bit easier, even for the most simplistic.

vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Going To The Dark Side-A Subaru Conversion Reply with quote

Silverghost500 wrote:
I learned many, many years ago to make up ziplock bags with names of fasteners and what they go do ahead of time. Makes reassembly down the road a little bit easier, even for the most simplistic.

YES!!!!

And when ever I can, I reinstall the fasteners back to what was removed from them. then I know whre they REALLY go instead of my crytic (read forgertful) notes I make on a ziplock.

Silergost500 - can you contact me directly about something on this project? [email protected] 505-304-5306

also sending you a PM

Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Going To The Dark Side-A Subaru Conversion Reply with quote

The automatic transaxle is out from the donor car. What a pain in the butt, heavy beast!

Again, if you have a lift, transmission jacks, etc. this job will probably be easier. If you're like me with a selection of hand me down tools, Hobo Freight's finest, and working on the floor, you'll develop some creative methods getting it out.

ATF drained from pan. Don't worry, there's still enough ATF left in the rear prop shaft tail to have a murder mystery scene on your garage floor.

CV axles have to come out. Dog bone mount disconnected from firewall. Shifter cable, neutral safety switch connection. Crossmember. Exhaust heat shield, exhaust all the way to the tailpipe. 4 bolts for the rear prop shaft to the rear differential, carrier bearing for the rear prop shaft. I'm sure I'm missing a couple of steps.

Next major task will be removing the wiring harness and electrical components from the donor.

Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Going To The Dark Side-A Subaru Conversion Reply with quote

I've been taking the EJ251 engine apart down to the short block. Here's a look at some of the engine internals after 218K miles.

space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Going To The Dark Side-A Subaru Conversion Reply with quote

Are you resurfacing the heads?
Ive been told to go with the wrx head gaskets vs standard
T
Rear discs
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Going To The Dark Side-A Subaru Conversion Reply with quote

@space-Yes, I plan to have a shop that works on Subarus in my area refurbish the cylinder heads, with a resurface included in that project.

I've decided to use this short block as a core instead of rebuilding it. There are two short block options I'm looking at:

-New OEM short block assembly from Subaru. Zero mile engine case and bottom end components.

-Remanufactured short block assembly from Subaru. Priced less than the new OEM short block, also comes with new oil pump, oil pan, water pump, thermostat, and thermostat housing.

Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Going To The Dark Side-A Subaru Conversion Reply with quote

Its not the "Dark Side"
Its what keeps You satisfied. Any conversion that keeps a 30 year old(+) frame is worth while.
Listen to the Whisper
"If You Build It"......
I went H6. 2.5 is good...3.3 is better.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Going To The Dark Side-A Subaru Conversion Reply with quote

Captain Pike wrote:

I went H6. 2.5 is good...3.3 is better.

what are the expected MPG with a 3.3?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: