Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

78 Super engine upgrade
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject: 78 Super engine upgrade Reply with quote

After truly enjoying my FI 78 Super for the 2 years, looks like it's going to be time to drop the engine and check out a clutch or bearing noise in the rear. I haven't needed the wrenches out in a while, which is a great thing. But this noise in the rear is getting my attention.

Since I an not in CA anymore and don't have to deal with CARB , I think it's time for an upgrade. I just need more performance out of this engine and this would be the time to do it. The fuel injection is the bomb.

I am thinking a 1776 upgrade and/or a cam would liven things up. I am a huge fan of cams, they make life so fun. If doing the cc upgrade would be good, that is easier. But not afraid to split the cases to get more fun.

If I do this, it's probably done for the summer. But I always have the Harley, lol.

I have seen Jimbo's videos and I want more umph, lol

Click to view image
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Super engine upgrade Reply with quote

Even if you just put in 90.5 cylinders, you're still going to have to split the case.

I don't know much about the FI system, but I assume it has enough margin to be able to run, but I imagine cam changes must be made with caution.

I think the CB2280 was developed for just this purpose.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Super engine upgrade Reply with quote

And you should take this to the performance engine forum, you'll get more (and better) info and opinions, and advice.
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Super engine upgrade Reply with quote

After thinking about this overnight, I think I and going to leave a good motor alone and just address the clutch issue.
But I think I might send the distributor our for a rebuild, as I don't think it's giving full advance. If I set it to where I am at 28*+ at throttle, my idle is way too high.
If I set it where the idle is lower, the performance feels lacking.
I think my time and labor would be better spent addressing those issues.
Fixing the odometer would be nice too. If I could just get my stubby fingers to get it removed from the dash, haha

Click to view image
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Super engine upgrade Reply with quote

Sounds like a vacuum leak to me!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Super engine upgrade Reply with quote

That was my 1st thought Jim, but I went over it with spray and idle never changed on any spot. And it will come down after it gets good and warm.
If i turn the timing down, it idles fine, just the performance is lacking.
I think I'll pull the distributor 1st and give it a deep clean and lubrication.
I have no idea what this grinding noise is, but it makes noise at slow speeds in and out of 1st gear.
Time for the floor jacks and motorcycle lift to get it dropped.

Click to view image
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Super engine upgrade Reply with quote

Pinch the AAR hose. Maybe it is staying open to long.

Or the decel valve is leaking, or the vacuum can at the distributor, or……

Pinch or plug everything!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Super engine upgrade Reply with quote

Smoke test is the only way I check for vacuum leaks now. You can DIY or, depending where you are now, find one for a good price on Ebay.

But - are you saying that once you time to 28 degrees at 3000rpm (hoses off) you can't bring the idle down with the screw on the throttle body?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: