Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Found a unicorn VW!! 24 yr old Trek bike.
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
maac311
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Found a unicorn VW!! 24 yr old Trek bike. Reply with quote

I'm sure most on here remember the VW collaboration with Trek back in the late '90's (also the K2 promotion).
I'd had my mind on getting one of these bikes, knowing they're super hard to find - never mind the condition after 24 years.
Well, my search reminder on Kijiji alerted me to an IMMACULATE one and I got it.
This thing is very simply beautiful.
All original, and ridden less than a dozen times by the prior owner.

I couldn't be happier right now. A wonderful birthday gift to myself.

Had to share with fellow VW fans.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Found a unicorn VW!! 24 yr old Trek bike. Reply with quote

Are you going to ride it or is it a wall hanger?

I guess it would look cool on the roof of a 96 Jetta, but as a bike... it's nothing special.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
maac311
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Found a unicorn VW!! 24 yr old Trek bike. Reply with quote

I'll ride it, but preserve it as best I can. It'll be hung up when it's not in use.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Found a unicorn VW!! 24 yr old Trek bike. Reply with quote

maac311 wrote:
I'll ride it, but preserve it as best I can. It'll be hung up when it's not in use.

For casual riding around town it's fine. But for road or offroad it will not get the job done.

I read a review that compared i to a $300 toy store bike.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Found a unicorn VW!! 24 yr old Trek bike. Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
maac311 wrote:

For casual riding around town it's fine. But for road or offroad it will not get the job done.

I read a review that compared i to a $300 toy store bike.

It is comparable to a Trek 850 of the time, highest model of the Asian built models. A partial cro-mo frame and fork, middle of the road components.

We built a ton of these at the shop I ran. VW NA was a few miles away and they had an employee purchase program. The German expats would freak when they saw my 59 single in the lot.

Last edited by ToolBox on Tue May 25, 2021 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Found a unicorn VW!! 24 yr old Trek bike. Reply with quote

Congrats on the find, that is cool.

Have fun with it cruising around.

Do you have to replace the tires?
I feel like they would be unsafe from age.

Sure it's not comparable to a modern mountain bike but I don't compare my '63 Bus to a Eurovan either.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Found a unicorn VW!! 24 yr old Trek bike. Reply with quote

it's a cool way to cruise swap meets. Not cool to SHOP from at swap meets.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
herbie91
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Found a unicorn VW!! 24 yr old Trek bike. Reply with quote

https://providence.craigslist.org/bik/d/narragansett-mens-mountain-bike/7330297056.html#
carlos_magnum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Found a unicorn VW!! 24 yr old Trek bike. Reply with quote

Great find! Didn't know that VW had a collaboration with Trek.
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Found a unicorn VW!! 24 yr old Trek bike. Reply with quote

carlos_magnum wrote:
Great find! Didn't know that VW had a collaboration with Trek.

Schwinn at one time was partnered with VW
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Herbie3Rivers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Found a unicorn VW!! 24 yr old Trek bike. Reply with quote

That's a great find. I've been looking for one for my collection off and on for the last few years. The rarest part on that bike is the seat. The seams would split and get replaced. Hard to find one that still has it's OG seat.

2010 New Beetle Final Edition
2009 Ford Mustang Bullitt
1999 New Beetle GLS
1983 Mercedes 300D
1974 Karmann Ghia
1972 Super Beetle
1970 Beetle Sunroof
1959 Original Herbie #6
1956 Oval

Three Rvers VW Club

Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix

Visit Herbie the Love Bug at LoveBugFans.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Found a unicorn VW!! 24 yr old Trek bike. Reply with quote

Ferrari knows how to partner with a bike company.

$15,000 used.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Found a unicorn VW!! 24 yr old Trek bike. Reply with quote

I too acquired one of those VW mountain bikes way back in 1996 during the initial VW Trek Jetta program. I still have it in mint condition. I doubt I've put more than 150 miles on it so far. If you purchased one of those Trek Jettas you got a certificate to take to your local Trek dealer who then sized you up with measurements to order your frame to fit you from the factory. You could add-on (at extra cost) any upgrades that you might want. Three weeks later it would arrive at your Trek dealer for you to pick up.

Yep, I just replaced the original tires about a year ago, so it's ready to start enjoying a "VW bike" again. I rode it around at the BNNTA campout just a few weeks ago.

It's pretty cool, let alone "rare" to own a VW branded Trek bike.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: