Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

External regulator delete pictures? 1979
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrayDev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: External regulator delete pictures? 1979 Reply with quote

So I am going to attempt a regulator delete myself, with the wiring in the photos. I have an internal alt on my 79 so the external wiring setup will not be needed. All I need now are real photos and not diagrams of what the end product should look like and I'll be on my way.

This is where I need yalls help! If you guys got photos of what the delete should look like with the rear window defroster relay included I would be extremely grateful. Preferably if I can get pictures of 75-79 so I got identical wiring to look at that would be awesome!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: External regulator delete pictures? 1979 Reply with quote

Thats NOT a voltage regulator...thats your rear window defogger relay. A '79 is internally regulated. My two very early '75s are externally regulated but it stopped early in '75 and from there are internal. Edit. it looks like you know what that is, but you should not have a V.R. under the seat on a '79 unless it was added

Last edited by MuzzcoVW on Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: External regulator delete pictures? 1979 Reply with quote

Also one of mine was converted to internal regulated and the regulator burnt out. I replaced it with the "proper voltage" drop in unit from CIP1. It charges at the proper volts...the old Bosch units were always too low. It also allows you to repair without removing and disassembling the alternator, which is a HUGE plus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: External regulator delete pictures? 1979 Reply with quote

Any sign of this under there?
CrayDev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: External regulator delete pictures? 1979 Reply with quote

MuzzcoVW wrote:
Any sign of this under there?

So the car did not come with it. I was looking into other ways of connecting the wiring as a substitute.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: External regulator delete pictures? 1979 Reply with quote

No, not originally. See this post, it shows the difference really well. The internally regulated units only have the large B+ wire and a single smaller wire. The external ones have the B+ and a 3 wire plug on top. I'll find the link to the replacement for the internal unit that I use and send it also. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9339704
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: External regulator delete pictures? 1979 Reply with quote

Here it is. It's actually from AirCooled.net, not CIP1. Make sure to read the description carefully as there are differences in the alternators. http://vwparts.aircooled.net/AL-82-Voltage-Regulator-14-5V-Set-Point-EACH-p/14.5v-al82-regulator.htm
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: