Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Go West or Head East for August '21
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

East Coast or West Coast for August 2021
East Coast
34%
 34%  [ 10 ]
West Coast
55%
 55%  [ 16 ]
Great Lakes again
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 29

Jennybenny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Go West or Head East for August '21 Reply with quote

2k round trip in a week at van speed? That’s a lot of time in a car with a Kid, before you factor east coast rando traffic in summer.

I’m in Brooklyn NY and wouldn’t do the Boston, p-town, vineyard, and back in a week. That said, I wouldn’t drive to abscate’s house unless I was spending a 3-day weekend.

Maybe hit finger lakes, which are awesome, and loop back home.

Abscate wrote:
3 weeks? both

1 week from MI through Niagara Falls, then head to Boston, ferry to Provincetown, back through Cape Cod. mV ferry to the Island maybe?

Back home camp in Finger Lakes region, back to MI

Rest and relax and refuel

2 weeks to head west ….il Leave that itinerary for others
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Go West or Head East for August '21 Reply with quote

Anyone coming to MT right now better have a backup plan, like Arkansas. Even the deepest primitive camping is full. People everywhere and smoke galore
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Go West or Head East for August '21 Reply with quote

Yeah, N idaho is so smokey it’s terrible and they say it isn’t even bad yet. Can’t get into Canada. I saw some pics from a friend in Seattle on Saturday and it was clear as I’ve ever seen. Maybe head to the San Juan islands up to
Orcas ...

3 weeks. What a dream.

"It is that annoying, accelerating downhill so I can make it up the next hill in the same gear. Foot to floor hoping I can get out of the way of other cars getting onto the highway." - somebody on here around 2013.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: Go West or Head East for August '21 Reply with quote

If you do the NY swing I have driveways to offer near Ithaca and Albany for a stopover. From Albany, you can Take Amtrak into NYC , leave the car home , for a long day trip and see a bunch of stuff. Perfect for a 10 year old

Reach out on Pm.

For the 280 mile drag across NY upstate

Niagara Falls. Must see. Don’t go into into city on US side anytime. Makes downtown Detroit look safe. Falls area is fine.

Albright Knox Art in Buffalo. Easy driving city. Great stuff

Lot of revolutionary history in Youngstown North, at Fort Niagara. Birthplace of my soccer career.

Slip east to Alabama swamps for wildlife spotting

Cruise route 20 at 45-50 mph, picking up the small towns and history of pre-Thruway roadhouses.

Eastman Museum in Rochester

Seneca Falls NY. Cute little town, birthplace of Women’s rights movement in 1850s. T3 Vw mechanic at Waterloo, Select Euro

Montezuma national wildlife refuge near Tyre NY. About midway, excellent bird watching including Eagles

Dive south 30 miles to Watkins Glen or Ithaca for hiking , finger lakes trails, wineries.

Little Erie Canal museum on the thruway at Port Byron thst is a cool 1-2 hour stop.

Arkell Museum in Sharon Springs ( check that?)

Cooperstown for baseball

Schenectady for the best genuine big corporation induced Urban decay/ blight vision in the world.

Smallbany at the east end.

T3 Andrew Flint near Albany area

Lol. No one wants to spend a weekend in Albany. Life’s too short.

Laughing
Rorke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Go West or Head East for August '21 Reply with quote

Made a reservation at Acadia National Park for just before Canada opens.
Does anyone have any recommendations for the white mountains?
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Go West or Head East for August '21 Reply with quote

Rorke wrote:
Made a reservation at Acadia National Park for just before Canada opens.
Does anyone have any recommendations for the white mountains?
m

Ping Jetfxr on the Bay forum, let me know if you can’t find him
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: Go West or Head East for August '21 Reply with quote

I've traveled the lower 48 States extensively. I've lived in the PNW.

On the East Coast the prettiest highway for grand mountainous scenery is certainly the Kancamagus Highway.

https://www.visitwhitemountains.com/the-kancamagus-highway

You won't find a better ride through impressive Mountains East of the Rockies.

Sadly, this time of year it is probably bumper to bumper traffic with clogged over looks.
But, it will still be a stunning drive!

You have Mt Washington too. Drive, hike or take the cogged railroad to the top. Highest coldest place in the East.
The weather can change on you in mere minutes too!

I really like the White Mountains..... but rarely go.
Sadly the Old Man of the Mountain fell down a number of years ago.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Go West or Head East for August '21 Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
west is on fire. i'd go east

Bingo.

We are buried in smoke. Not really safe to go outside.
I would go east, northeast. Lots of cool places to check out in northern NY, Vermont, Maine, etc.

Plan a trip for next year and head west for the autumn. Very beautiful conditions in September/October throughout the mountain west and after the rains put out the fires the air will be safe to breath. This is the new reality.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: