Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake issues???
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffros 58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Brake issues??? Reply with quote

I have a issue with my brakes on my 58 . I can bleed them and have good brakes not great brakes . She can set for a week and it will have a soft pedal and the reservoir will be empty. All new lines throughout even tunnel line . No leaks showing on backing plates or wheel cylinders. Don’t see fluid on floor anywhere. Very faint moisture on rubber plug on top of master cylinder . Steel line going into master is tight . Hoses are in good shape also . Any thoughts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake issues??? Reply with quote

If no leak on the tunnel line for sure, then check inside of Napoleon Hat to see if it is wet inside there. Also check where lines go through bulkheads to make sure the grommets are in place as vibration can easily damage the pipes.
Noppingen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Brake issues??? Reply with quote

Hint, I have just been there with my 65:

No puddle, reservoir empty every once in a while: The master cylinder piston seal was broken.

Replaced the master cylinder and while I was at it all 4 wheel cylinders, too.

As it looks - and brakes - now: Should have done that 4 years ago...
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Brake issues??? Reply with quote

Pull back the master cylinder rubber boot and look/feel the pushrod for brake fluid. Not uncommon for the rear seal to wear and leak.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: