Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best quiet electric fuel pump for a 72 SB?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
72VWSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject: Best quiet electric fuel pump for a 72 SB? Reply with quote

Looking to change to an electric fuel pump in my 72 SB...actually had one installed by my son at first but the noise drove me nuts! Planning on installing A/C in my car and the stock fuel filter has to go! Anyone happy with their electric fuel pump? I tried to search for this on Samba but I couldn't find the info I was looking for...
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Best quiet electric fuel pump for a 72 SB? Reply with quote

I like the Carter rotary pump, mounted under the gas tank.
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C26%2D127%2D205
I tried a couple noisier options first also. An electric fuel pump was necessary in order to mount the A/C compressor the way I wanted in my type 181.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Paul Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Best quiet electric fuel pump for a 72 SB? Reply with quote

I second the Carter. I’ve had mine about ten years. Also mounted under the gas tank.

1984 Mexican Beetle
-1914cc
-L3 Heads 35x32 valves 52cc chambers
-0.040" deck for about 9.1:1 Compression
-Engle W110 cam
-CB Super Stock 1.1:1 Rockers
-Stock Heat Exchangers w/ Tri-Mil Muffler
-Dual Weber IDF 40s w/ 26mm venturis
-034 SVDA Distributor

2013 Chevrolet Volt DD
2005 Pontiac Montana SV6

MAHLE Service Solutions
Applications Engineer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Best quiet electric fuel pump for a 72 SB? Reply with quote

I ordered an electric low pressure Pierburg pump which has a 1 or 2 year warranty. I did use them back in days with great results and they are still running after 20 years. However, the new pumps are made in China and not made in Germany or Poland anymore. They come with a nice mounting bracket which should be mounted with a rubber damper. Hope the quality is as good as back in the days.

Pump sounds like the pumps for fuel injection cars. It is NOT the click type.

No matter which one you pick. Mount them on a good place so you can replace them on the spot / parking lot . I always have a spare pump in the car. We all know what happens if you do not have a spare Laughing
72VWSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Best quiet electric fuel pump for a 72 SB? Reply with quote

KAmes wrote:
I tried a couple noisier options first also. An electric fuel pump was necessary in order to mount the A/C compressor the way I wanted in my type 181.

When you installed your electric fuel pumps, did you also power them through a relay?
Paul Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Best quiet electric fuel pump for a 72 SB? Reply with quote

I didn't. I just used an empty ignition terminal from inside the trunk, through a fuse, and down to the pump.

1984 Mexican Beetle
-1914cc
-Engle W110 cam
-034 SVDA Distributor

2013 Chevrolet Volt DD
2005 Pontiac Montana SV6

MAHLE Service Solutions
Applications Engineer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Best quiet electric fuel pump for a 72 SB? Reply with quote

I didn't use a relay either, I had put in a Ron Francis wiring kit and simply used the switched terminal marked fuel pump.

72VWSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Best quiet electric fuel pump for a 72 SB? Reply with quote

KAmes wrote:

Do you by chance remember where you got your Carter Fuel pump? I've seen them on Cip1 but they're pretty expensive compared to the one I saw on Amazon which looks the same.

https://www.amazon.com/Carter-P60430-Line-Electric...amp;sr=8-3
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Best quiet electric fuel pump for a 72 SB? Reply with quote

72VWSB wrote:
KAmes wrote:

Do you by chance remember where you got your Carter Fuel pump? I've seen them on Cip1 but they're pretty expensive compared to the one I saw on Amazon which looks the same.

I bought mine from cip1. I believe this one is the one the VW suppliers are selling, I think it runs around 3psi:
https://www.amazon.com/Carter-P90091-Electric-Fuel...amp;sr=8-3

The one you linked is a little higher, around 6psi but either one should be fine. You're right they are listed for quite a bit less.
Paul Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Best quiet electric fuel pump for a 72 SB? Reply with quote

I got mine at Murray's when they were still Murray's! They had them on the shelf. Just under $50 if I remember correctly.

1984 Mexican Beetle
-1914cc
-Engle W110 cam
-034 SVDA Distributor

2013 Chevrolet Volt DD
2005 Pontiac Montana SV6

MAHLE Service Solutions
Applications Engineer
72VWSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Best quiet electric fuel pump for a 72 SB? Reply with quote

KAmes wrote:
72VWSB wrote:
KAmes wrote:

I bought mine from cip1. I believe this one is the one the VW suppliers are selling, I think it runs around 3psi:
https://www.amazon.com/Carter-P90091-Electric-Fuel...amp;sr=8-3

The one you linked is a little higher, around 6psi but either one should be fine. You're right they are listed for quite a bit less.

Ok, contacted Carter tech support, they say they make two fuel pumps like yours, the P90091 which has a max pressure of 2-4 psi & The P60430 which has a max pressure of 4-6 psi... With the correct part number, the P90091 can be found cheaper than the one that Cip1 sells. Thank you all for your help!
72VWSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Best quiet electric fuel pump for a 72 SB? Reply with quote

Any of you guys hook up your electric fuel pumps with an oil pressure switch connection in case of accident and key is still on?
2002sportside
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Best quiet electric fuel pump for a 72 SB? Reply with quote

72VWSB wrote:
Any of you guys hook up your electric fuel pumps with an oil pressure switch connection in case of accident and key is still on?

I am planning to use a fuel pump relay from a rabbit. It connects to the coil and kills the pump if you stall. Referenced in this topic, with diagram...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=733518&highlight=rabbit+fuel+pump+relay
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Best quiet electric fuel pump for a 72 SB? Reply with quote

72VWSB wrote:

I didn't but it sounds like a good idea. The rabbit fuel pump relay looks pretty slick.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Best quiet electric fuel pump for a 72 SB? Reply with quote

I am about to begin an electric fuel pump project for my new (to me) '73 Thing.

Along the drive from Detroit to Flat Rock, NC for Kubel Treffen East (and back home), I encountered several "vapor lock" episodes; some of them in very inopportune and potentially dangerous situations. Oil and cylinder head temperatures were always "cool", but each time the vapor lock occurred, I could pour water on my square top fuel pump, and the Thing would come right back to life. This really made me miss the rock-solid reliability of CIS fuel injection, but on this car, I want to stick with a carburetor (at least for now).

So I am gathering parts to convert to an electric pump. My old Thing had CIS fuel injection since about 1998, and originally, the pump was powered through the "Rabbit relay".
Unfortunately, the quality of those relays has gone way down, and it was never great to begin with; they were always problematic from the late'70's on, especially the relays with the integral fuse.
(Lots of recalls on those relays when those cars were contemporary.)

I think in about 2015, I switched to the Revolution Electronics fuel pump controller.
Example:
https://www.amazon.com/Revolution-Electronics-Electric-Controller-Primes/dp/B00BNZ05JM

This little gimmick has been absolutely reliable, and in my mind, it is the way forward for switching electric fuel pumps.

I still have the controller from my old Thing, and will use it again.
As of now, I plan to mount a Carter P4070 pump under the fuel tank, and a Malpassi Petrol King regulator in the engine compartment.

I will post again when all of the parts are here, and I start taking things apart.

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
72VWSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Best quiet electric fuel pump for a 72 SB? Reply with quote

I had that pump on my car...damn it was a noisy pump! I went to a Carter P90091...much quieter!
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Best quiet electric fuel pump for a 72 SB? Reply with quote

72VWSB wrote:
I had that pump on my car...damn it was a noisy pump! I went to a Carter P90091...much quieter!

72-

I am interested in how long you have used these pumps (reliability wise).

I actually have both the P90091 and the P4070 sitting here.

I hate the marketing term "engineered in the USA". What that means is that the product is manufactured in some far off Asian land.
Both of these Carter pumps are made in China.

In a 5 second test (with no fuel) the noise level seems to be about equal.
Each pump has its pros and cons.

The P4070 has threaded inlet/outlet
for barb fittings (good) but I didn't like the push-on (fall off) electrical connectors, so I threaded the posts M5 for ring terminals, lock washers and nuts.

The P90091 is certainly more compact, and probably would be easier to mount. The electrical connections are standard spade lugs; should (could) be OK long term.

The P4070 just looks like a more substantial piece, but I will decide which pump to use once the fuel tank is out and I can get a good look at the area. I would like to mount the pump someplace where I can reach it without removing the fuel tank (for future serviceability).

I expect to start on this next week.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
72VWSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Best quiet electric fuel pump for a 72 SB? Reply with quote

I have only had this pump in for a couple months now...so I have no real history. My son had mounted the other Carter fuel pump on the firewall's passenger side...hence most of the noise!
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Best quiet electric fuel pump for a 72 SB? Reply with quote

I would like to know why people install an electric fuel pump.
I spent many years in the north-west of Western Australia where the temperature regularly was above 45 Deg C (113F) in summer and none of my vehicles had vapour lock problems (1968 1500 Beetle, 1972 1600 Superbug, 1966 Kombi and 1977 2l Kombi).

Unless it is on a a modified vehicle which needs a fuel pump which requires a higher ouput than the standard pump I cannot see why a higher output pump is required - the standard pump is perfectly adequate.
72VWSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Best quiet electric fuel pump for a 72 SB? Reply with quote

Meiang wrote:
I would like to know why people install an electric fuel pump.
I spent many years in the north-west of Western Australia where the temperature regularly was above 45 Deg C (113F) in summer and none of my vehicles had vapour lock problems (1968 1500 Beetle, 1972 1600 Superbug, 1966 Kombi and 1977 2l Kombi).

Unless it is on a a modified vehicle which needs a fuel pump which requires a higher ouput than the standard pump I cannot see why a higher output pump is required - the standard pump is perfectly adequate.

Actually installed my electric fuel pump because the A/C system I installed wouldn't work with the stock fuel pump in place...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: