Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What PORTABLE fridge do you use?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What PORTABLE fridge do you use? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
MsTaboo wrote:
deadaheadub wrote:
Wondering how any of you earlier posters to this thread are liking your budget fridges, i.e., Costway, Whynter, Alpicool, Chinese-made Dometic (Dhaavers), etc? How are they holding up after years of use?

Edgestar, bought in 2011 for $426 w/free shipping - still works great.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

How many amp hrs per day would you say you use?

Sorry, I don't track that info, we just use it. If you look at earlier pages of this thread there's some talk about amps, etc.
This is the large 63q Edgestar. It's big, but we like it. It's tough; used as a step and seat. Has a fast freeze mode that I'm sure draws heavy amps if used to bring fresh food down to freezing temps.
We tend to pre-cool the fridge before trips with 120v and load with pre-chilled food. On camping trips in summer away from power we get three to four days (EDIT: In one place, without engine start) before our house battery is drawn down to the point where the Eddgestars built-in low voltage cutoff shuts down the power. Longer during cooler weather. I'm looking into a better LiFePO4 aux battery and solar for extended use.
When we use it to transport bulk food from shopping trips the alternator is suppling juice on the way home so it doesn't matter.

Really like being able to pull the fridge out when not in use. Sometimes pull it out at campsites to allow more room inside. Being steel with good locks it's animal safe.(not big bear country) Someday I'll get around to installing an exterior 12v power point by the sliding door. For now I just carefully close door on power cord. (note, it's not rated for outdoor use so no rain!) We have a 12v outlet on the B pillar for the regular hookup.
Also use in the back of trucks and in the house for extra capacity.

We have absolutely gotten our moneys worth from this fridge. Only real complaint are the cheap plastic handles, have broken one.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.

Last edited by MsTaboo on Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What PORTABLE fridge do you use? Reply with quote

Love My Westy wrote:
FWIW, My 50 qt ARB fridge flew out of our trailer when we rolled it at 60 mph last year in Baja. Our Honda 2000 generator was toast but the ARB still works fine after replacing the cord, the latch and doing a little plastic welding on the hinge. We have used it all summer on a trip to Vancouver Island and now using it as a freezer on a trip to the East Coast.

Just an update: The ARB is still going strong, my wife is using it to keep frozen cat food in. I was able to purchase a second ARB 50 qt as a replacement for use in my Vanagon. While the first one still works fine, I had borrowed it from the Vanagon to use in my offroad trailer for down in baja. It was so rasberried up after rolling and skiding on the pavement during the wreck that I wanted a new one for the Van. The old one is now dedicated to my offroad trailer.
Irishcalifornian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What PORTABLE fridge do you use? Reply with quote

Love My Westy wrote:
Love My Westy wrote:
FWIW, My 50 qt ARB fridge flew out of our trailer when we rolled it at 60 mph last year in Baja. Our Honda 2000 generator was toast but the ARB still works fine after replacing the cord, the latch and doing a little plastic welding on the hinge. We have used it all summer on a trip to Vancouver Island and now using it as a freezer on a trip to the East Coast.

Just an update: The ARB is still going strong, my wife is using it to keep frozen cat food in. I was able to purchase a second ARB 50 qt as a replacement for use in my Vanagon. While the first one still works fine, I had borrowed it from the Vanagon to use in my offroad trailer for down in baja. It was so rasberried up after rolling and skiding on the pavement during the wreck that I wanted a new one for the Van. The old one is now dedicated to my offroad trailer.

Been living in my Westy for 4 years now with my ARB 50qt. and this beast keeps on going with my solar generator. When you are off the grid, this is basically your survival tool box.
Best thing that I have ever bought.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What PORTABLE fridge do you use? Reply with quote

epbiggs wrote:
...Honestly, I'm not even sure how to measure the current draw over time.
Anybody have good instructions on the best methods?

Not hard, just run the multimeter in series with the load you're measuring:

Link

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: What PORTABLE fridge do you use? Reply with quote

Still have my Edgestar fridge, though it now lives in my basement unused. The transformer failed and the company said that the new transformer would not work with the fridge. Evidently they weren't tell the whole story, a gentleman on FB put the new transformer in his and it works perfectly.

My current fridge is a Whynter dual zone 62 qt fridge/freezer, bought in 2015. Love the fact of frozen food in the camper and able to take out what we need instead of eating what we have in the fridge. I find that the 12 wiring to a cig socket really didn't work very well and took Kammie's advice to fuse/hard wire it to the battery. Much better route to keep the fridge functioning as it should, seemed to always have a voltage drop with the socket setup.

Power consumption chart for this unit from Whynter's website. Oh, and just to keep ahead of the game I purchased a transformer for this fridge for backup.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: What PORTABLE fridge do you use? Reply with quote

Self-quoting from the "deals" thread... (don't say I didn't say)... Wink

Quote:
Prime Day deal, FWIW...take another 10% off the price of Whynter 45-qt 12v fridge:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B002W8BLUG/?coliid=I2D..._lig_dp_it

...and other gizmos/stuff to be found, of course... (inflators, battery jump packs, "solar generators" etc. etc.)...

Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What PORTABLE fridge do you use? Reply with quote

I'm sad to report that my Alpicool T-50 Dual Zone fridge died after less than 2 years of owning it. It was getting funky, such as the fridge side temp readout was not displaying most of the time and the compressor was getting noisier, especially when it was kicking in. With a one year warranty, it was time to find a new fridge. Since I'm living full-time in the van and was ready to head out to another campsite for another two weeks, I needed a fridge fast. No time for my usual research, deal searching, etc. I had just received my quarterly retirement check and had money burning a hole in my pocket, so I decided to go with a big name, such as ARB, Dometic, etc. and spend the big bucks this time and get a high quality product. I ended up choosing an ARB Zero 73 quart, dual zone. I was able to pick it up at a 4WD store nearby and got it the next day. It's a little bigger than my Alpicool. The dimensions are similar, except the ARB is about 4" deeper, sticking into the living area that much more. I only have the fridge in the van when traveling to my next campsite, when it comes out of the van and goes under the awning, so the extra size is barely noticeable. It is a big honking fridge, though. Amazon Link: https://amzn.to/3xFmo6v

I really like how the ARB is configured. The freezer side is smaller than on the Alpicool (percentage wise, anyway), which is better for me. I found myself with a half empty freezer after a few days with the Alpicool and wished they'd apportioned the freezer/fridge sections a little better. It also has a very clever rack system and can be configured several ways, has BT and app, has two 12v plugs, and way more.

At $1500 for the ARB and around $300 for the Alpicool, I'm hoping this new fridge will last the rest of my life. I'm old, so I'm not asking for too much! I can already tell the ARB is superior in every way to the Alpicool.

I also ordered the Transit Bag, which will be waiting for me at the post office next time I'm in town. I figured I'd come this far and might as well spend a little more for some protection and additional insulation. Now it's like an investment!
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
1972 Bug (Last year you could buy a new one for under $2,000)
1965/66 Bug (2 bugs from a junk yard combined to make 1 functional bug)
1959 Bug (Pre Gas Gauge Era)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: What PORTABLE fridge do you use? Reply with quote

I have the Costway 55 quart fridge, which is basically the same as the Smittybuilt and a few others. Before and during my last trip, it nearly drove me to the brink of insanity.

https://www.costway.com/55-quarts-portable-thermoe...oAQAvD_BwE

When I power it up, the thermostat will set it at either 32 degrees or 100 degrees. There is no in between, no matter how many times I push the up or down arrows. When working properly, I can set the thermostat to any temp.

I powered it off, unplugged it, let it sit for hours (this was the only remedy I could find online) and it still does the same thing.

Does anybody have any idea what the problem could be or how to fix it?

My solution on my last trip was to take along a couple of cold brick (fake ice) things. I'd run the fridge when driving and it would stay at 32-34 degrees, then when I'd stop I'd power it off completely. It would creep up to about 45 degrees.

This fridge has given me three or four years of trouble-free service but I'd like to keep it for longer as long as the compressor keeps working. Any help is appreciated.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: What PORTABLE fridge do you use? Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
I have the Costway 55 quart fridge, which is basically the same as the Smittybuilt and a few others. Before and during my last trip, it nearly drove me to the brink of insanity.

https://www.costway.com/55-quarts-portable-thermoe...oAQAvD_BwE

When I power it up, the thermostat will set it at either 32 degrees or 100 degrees. There is no in between, no matter how many times I push the up or down arrows. When working properly, I can set the thermostat to any temp.

I powered it off, unplugged it, let it sit for hours (this was the only remedy I could find online) and it still does the same thing.

Does anybody have any idea what the problem could be or how to fix it?

My solution on my last trip was to take along a couple of cold brick (fake ice) things. I'd run the fridge when driving and it would stay at 32-34 degrees, then when I'd stop I'd power it off completely. It would creep up to about 45 degrees.

This fridge has given me three or four years of trouble-free service but I'd like to keep it for longer as long as the compressor keeps working. Any help is appreciated.

If you can hack into the thermostat wiring you can add an external digital controller like some have done for the truckfridge.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: What PORTABLE fridge do you use? Reply with quote

Update on my fridge problem:

I dug around in a bunch of Amazon reviews for days until I found an entry that mentioned additional settings for temperature parameters.

I futzed around with the settings and found an entirely new menu that I didn't know existed, a series of F's and C's that allowed me to set what I think are the aforementioned temperature parameters. I still don't know precisely what it does, but by changing some numbers, my fridge started working correctly again.

My technical expertise knows no bounds, apparently.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
snuf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: What PORTABLE fridge do you use? Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:

I futzed around with the settings and found an entirely new menu that I didn't know existed, a series of F's and C's that allowed me to set what I think are the aforementioned temperature parameters. I still don't know precisely what it does, but by changing some numbers, my fridge started working correctly again.

M

Look like you discovered the setting that allows you to choose either Fahrenheit or Celsius to be displayed .
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: What PORTABLE fridge do you use? Reply with quote

snuf wrote:
joetiger wrote:

M

Look like you discovered the setting that allows you to choose either Fahrenheit or Celsius to be displayed .

There's a whole additional set of items, "F1, F2, F3, F4, F5, F6" and "C1, C2, C3, C4, C5, C6." Within those settings, it allows you to set an upper and lower number.

I set all of the F- settings to 32 and 40, and all of the C settings to 0 and 20.

After restarting the fridge, I was able to once again choose a specific temp setting.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What PORTABLE fridge do you use? Reply with quote

My ARB 37 QT is going strong after 8 years of using it nearly every single day this entire time. It's in my Wolfsburg connected to solar/AUX battery. What a beautiful beast.

“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote." - Melville
att93
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What PORTABLE fridge do you use? Reply with quote

Vanlife Geek wrote:
I'm sad to report that my Alpicool T-50 Dual Zone fridge died after less than 2 years of owning it. It was getting funky, such as the fridge side temp readout was not displaying most of the time and the compressor was getting noisier, especially when it was kicking in. With a one year warranty, it was time to find a new fridge. Since I'm living full-time in the van and was ready to head out to another campsite for another two weeks, I needed a fridge fast. No time for my usual research, deal searching, etc. I had just received my quarterly retirement check and had money burning a hole in my pocket, so I decided to go with a big name, such as ARB, Dometic, etc. and spend the big bucks this time and get a high quality product. I ended up choosing an ARB Zero 73 quart, dual zone. I was able to pick it up at a 4WD store nearby and got it the next day. It's a little bigger than my Alpicool. The dimensions are similar, except the ARB is about 4" deeper, sticking into the living area that much more. I only have the fridge in the van when traveling to my next campsite, when it comes out of the van and goes under the awning, so the extra size is barely noticeable. It is a big honking fridge, though. Amazon Link: https://amzn.to/3xFmo6v

I really like how the ARB is configured. The freezer side is smaller than on the Alpicool (percentage wise, anyway), which is better for me. I found myself with a half empty freezer after a few days with the Alpicool and wished they'd apportioned the freezer/fridge sections a little better. It also has a very clever rack system and can be configured several ways, has BT and app, has two 12v plugs, and way more.

At $1500 for the ARB and around $300 for the Alpicool, I'm hoping this new fridge will last the rest of my life. I'm old, so I'm not asking for too much! I can already tell the ARB is superior in every way to the Alpicool.

I also ordered the Transit Bag, which will be waiting for me at the post office next time I'm in town. I figured I'd come this far and might as well spend a little more for some protection and additional insulation. Now it's like an investment!

I’ve been looking at this same fridge, still liking it? Any chance you could share a picture of it in your van, I’m wondering if it’s too big…
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What PORTABLE fridge do you use? Reply with quote

att93 wrote:

I’ve been looking at this same fridge, still liking it? Any chance you could share a picture of it in your van, I’m wondering if it’s too big…

Yes, I still really like it. I can see where it would be too big for a lot of folks, but for those like me who like to camp for a couple of weeks at a time, it can't be beat. I think the ratio of freezer space vs. fridge space is ideal, especially compared to my Alpicool. I'll get some pictures of it in the van for you tomorrow. I will say that it is nice to get it out of the van when camping. Mine goes under the awning as soon as I make camp to free up space in the van. I did get the transit bag and feel it was well worth the money. I'll elaborate and show some pictures of the transit bag, as well. Stay tuned...
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What PORTABLE fridge do you use? Reply with quote

As promised, here are some ARB Zero 72 shots in the van. As you can see, it's pretty big, but not too big for my needs. You can still open the cabinet doors with the fridge in the van. These shots show the Transit Bag installed, which is tailor-made for the fridge and fits perfectly. It will help protect the "investment" in the fridge, looks nice and has some insulation which should help keep the fridge cooler. On a recent camp, the rain was coming down diagonally and some mist was getting through the screen room and hitting the fridge. The bag protected the fridge from the mist.

The Transit Bag comes with a free bottle opener, so there's that!

Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What PORTABLE fridge do you use? Reply with quote

Deal alert!!
https://www.amazon.com/Whynter-FM-45G-45-Quart-Por...maZM21uE1c
Ronkat81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What PORTABLE fridge do you use? Reply with quote

Does anyone have their original weekender fridge they are willing to part with? Smile
dublife13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What PORTABLE fridge do you use? Reply with quote

Ronkat81 wrote:
Does anyone have their original weekender fridge they are willing to part with? Smile

Check Facebook market place / offer up / craigslist. I see them available quite often.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: What PORTABLE fridge do you use? Reply with quote

Ronkat81 wrote:

There was one on the karma part it forward thread last week.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 17 of 19

Jump to: