Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Body Fitment, lift needed?
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
y2kbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:48 pm    Post subject: Body Fitment, lift needed? Reply with quote

I test fit my Joe Poty tub on my pan and bam, it hits the trans bell housing. I could cut out the back and re-glass it in to clear but after looking some more I found that I will also hit the shock towers with the body if I don't put at least a 1 1/2" both lift on. Is it common to have to put a body lift to clear the shocks and transmission? My plan is to build a 1 1/2" lift with 1 1/2" square tubing.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Body Fitment, lift needed? Reply with quote

Sometimes bodies are designed for swingaxle pans and the IRS has issues with clearance.

Not sure if thats the issue or not. Could be just body sag as well.

Lifts work well.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Body Fitment, lift needed? Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
Sometimes bodies are designed for swingaxle pans and the IRS has issues with clearance.

Not sure if thats the issue or not. Could be just body sag as well.

Lifts work well.

Only problem with JP Sand Rover body on a IRS chassis I had was battery box hit the IRS swing arm.... Cut 2 inches off battery box and glassed in new bottom... Problem solved....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What you do depends on what you want, if you want low sleek look you fix body contact issues, if you want to look like sitting deep in a bathtub, you use body lift....

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Fitment, lift needed? Reply with quote

If you make your own body lift, be aware that where the lift slopes up over the tunnel at the front and back, the lift is NOT 1.5" vertical.

It would be best to install the sides of the lift, make top and bottom plates for the lift over the tunnel from steel strap, then make templates for the space between the upper and lower plates and tack the pieces in place with the body still on, then weld them completely after you take the body off. But due to warpage, you should probably keep the lift clamped to the pan while welding. To minimize warpage, you could weld short sections (stitch weld), then use seam sealer caulk to seal it up. Or, you could braze it.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
y2kbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Body Fitment, lift needed? Reply with quote

Damn, I would have never thought about the angle slope being different than the flat plane. Thanks for that heads up.
While I don't really want the 'lift' for ride height I'm ok with the seating position being sunk into the tub more. I'm wanting the seats as low as possible anyway.
I think overall building a subframe and keeping the tunnel only I will be better off all around.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: