Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AAZ Westy fuel issues (SOLVED)
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ Westy fuel issues? Reply with quote

There is a vent hose for the tank that is open to atmosphere on the diesels. Maybe it got plugged?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You could run without the fuel cap and see if it made a difference. Other points of restriction include the fuel filter, and the screen in the fuel tank.
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ Westy fuel issues? Reply with quote

I did drive around the neighborhood till it started to do it again.
Then I took the cap off and tried to drive it some more. Issue is unchanged.

My guess is it's the screen. Sadly I have over a 1/2 tank of diesel to deal with before I can remove the discharge hose and get a look.
I've changed the filter three times and its a good spin-on type.

I'll siphon what I can into a 5 gallon fuel can and transfer to my diesel truck till it's nearly empty.

I'll keep you posted on what I find.

Thanks so much for your help
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ Westy fuel issues? Reply with quote

I would suggest blowing air backward into the tank, with the cap off. It will allow you to burn what’s in there. I did it once and was able to drive for a few weeks before it plugged up again.
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ Westy fuel issues? Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
I would suggest blowing air backward into the tank, with the cap off. It will allow you to burn what’s in there. I did it once and was able to drive for a few weeks before it plugged up again.
Thanks for the tip.
I've already siphoned out 5 gallons - there isn't much left.

I'd like to get it to where I can put a bucket under the discharge, remove the hose, and see how it flows - that should tell me a lot
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ Westy fuel issues? Reply with quote

I don’t know if you researched this but to drop that tank you need to put the van up on some tall lifters. Also, if you think the giant o-ring where the filler tube goes into the tank needs to be replaced this would be a good time.
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ Westy fuel issues? Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
I don’t know if you researched this but to drop that tank you need to put the van up on some tall lifters. Also, if you think the giant o-ring where the filler tube goes into the tank needs to be replaced this would be a good time.

I've changed the tank twice and upgraded to the plastic fill pipe. Last change was two years ago so all should be ok with the grommets. As I mentioned in the beginning, I dumped some dirty fuel into it from another source - a very bad decision.

I'd like to say I'm good at dropping the tank but there's nothing good about it Very Happy

Driving it forward and up on my two steel ramps will be high enough but thanks for the tips.
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: AAZ Westy fuel issues? Reply with quote

So, last week I siphoned out all but a gallon or two, drove the van up on my steel ramps, got a short fuel hose and empty milk jug ready, and pulled the fuel line off the tank outlet.

There was a very small trickle of diesel running out - sometimes only drops. I put the hose from my shop vac (connected to the exhaust side of the vac) against the tank filler and that increased the flow quite a bit. I had to do this several times to get it to flow.

The tank is only a few years old but obviously had lots of crud on the screen. You see, I had removed a 500 gallon in-ground fuel oil tank last year and installed natural gas furnace. It's not that I'm cheap, the issue was how to get rid of over 120 gallons of fuel oil. So I pumped it into some 55 gallon barrels and then dispersed it into my truck, old backhoe, and lastly, the van. It was this last bit that had the crud in it and not running it through a simple filter (even a nylon) was a huge mistake.

Anyway, I hosed the tank out several times using Dawn dishwashing liquid, sloshing it around, rinsing, washing, repeat.
I let it dry in the 100 degree weather for a few days. I also bought an endoscope (needed one anyway) and checked the screen - clean as a whistle.

The tank is back in along with four gallons of fresh diesel. Van is running great now.
I also have a new cut-off solenoid Wink

I do think replacing my 2-1/2" glass-pack with a spiral-flow will be the next mod - me thinks it's getting sooted up.

Thanks for everyone's help.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: AAZ Westy fuel issues? Reply with quote

Yay!
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ Westy fuel issues? Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
Yay!

Yay for sure.
It's clear that the screen inside the tank is extremely fine. As it's impossible to get to without destroying the tank, I wish it was only fine enough to keep out anything that won't fit through the discharge pipe. I didn't catch the crud when I cleaned it out but believe it was wads of "diesel mold" that commonly grows inside buried fuel oil tanks.

I have a very good spin-on fuel filter that's easy to change and it would have been nice to have all the crud get stopped there instead of in the inaccessible, hard to remove/install fuel tank.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ Westy fuel issues (SOLVED) Reply with quote

Nice work!

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: