Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 110, 111, 112  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Just below the main picture of a BAT auction is a header that reads "BAT Essentials" in that box it classifies the seller as a dealer of private party.
A large consumer of BAT services is Fantasy Junction, a dealer in the San Francisco area https://fantasyjunction.com/
Beautiful high end cars.
On one of the BAT podcasts they talk to the owner of Fantasy Junction discussing the marketing of their cars. https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/market-insig...0526310271
I also have a long time friend (a dealer) http://route36motorcars.com/ who also uses BAT as a platform.
That guy flipping the Black 65 is not on par with these guys. He knows that (most) of the well heeled players at Bring a Trailer won't give give that car a a second look. They are looking to add investment grade cars to their portfolio's. Ghiagirl's KG was a perfect example of that sort of car.
As far as BAT turning into something akin to ebay? I just don't see that happening. The offerings are vetted. Not every Karmann Ghia submitted will make it to a live auction.
On that note...
Lets see a new Karmann Ghia on BAT, it's been awhile!

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

here comes another one. to my noob Ghia eye this one looks pretty dang nice!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-volkswagen-karmann-ghia-convertible-9/
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malley56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Yes it is definitely nice! Am I crazy or is this the one that was recently listed on oldbug.com for 55k? I can’t remember what year it was..
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

obus wrote:
here comes another one. to my noob Ghia eye this one looks pretty dang nice!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-volkswagen-karmann-ghia-convertible-9/

That's certainly going to be a goodun it belongs to Dustin "52brezelfenster" and he doesn't cut corners. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

malley56 wrote:
Yes it is definitely nice! Am I crazy or is this the one that was recently listed on oldbug.com for 55k? I can’t remember what year it was..

I was thinking the exact thing.
I just checked Oldbug. It's currently not listed so I believe it is.
This is "The Bar" for a stock 67.
Gutsy to run a no reserve but statistically they tend to do better.

Mike Gerson

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
malley56 wrote:

I was thinking the exact thing.
I just checked Oldbug. It's currently not listed so I believe it is.
This is "The Bar" for a stock 67.
Gutsy to run a no reserve but statistically they tend to do better.

That’s a super nice car, hope he gets his price, the car merits it for sure.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
theghiagirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

That Karmann Ghia looks really familiar...I wonder who was the previous owner. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

anyone want to make predictions as to final price? I'm going to say 52k.
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

What is the key lock to the left of the steering column, pic #99? I see what appears to be an ignition key on the dash, but don't know what the one is on the left side, steering wheel lock?
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
What is the key lock to the left of the steering column, pic #99? I see what appears to be an ignition key on the dash, but don't know what the one is on the left side, steering wheel lock?
Jeff

It's a Frunk lock. Standard on verts I do believe.

Mike Gerson

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
rbsurfguy wrote:
Jeff

It's a Frunk lock. Standard on verts I do believe.

Yep.
They later moved the trunk release into the glove box which you could lock.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Ok thanks, TRUNK lock, wasn't sure what a Frunk lock was until Braukuche clarified!!! No worries I have big fingers as well on a small keyboard...and a bottle of fine Bourbon as well!!

Anyway, that is interesting and seriously the first time I have seen that locking trunk mechanism. I actually like it better than hiding behind the "locking" glovebox, which I can pop open with a bottle cap. The other system while not as aesthetically pleasing, seems would be more secure than the updated system.
Always learning,
Jeff

Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

theghiagirl wrote:
That Karmann Ghia looks really familiar...I wonder who was the previous owner. Laughing
Humberto L in New Jersey built one just like this in the early to mid 1990's... and typical for his interest, he sold it only a few years after completion. I don't know its history afterwards. But I don't think he'd have kept that small inward dent on the inside of the nose prow as seen in the trunk, though the nose looks very well done and has no exterior sign of the small dent.
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
Ok thanks, TRUNK lock, wasn't sure what a Frunk lock was until Braukuche clarified!!!
Jeff

Samba Slang
Mr. Braukuche can always be counted on to clarify Cool

Mike Gerson

rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
That’s a super nice car...

It sure is! Very nicely detailed too, with the correct one-year-only hubcaps, arm rests, and inside rearview mirror. The wiper arms & blades are also right for a '67.

Would be nice to find one of those '67-only shift knobs for it Wink
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
theghiagirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
theghiagirl wrote:
Humberto L in New Jersey built one just like this in the early to mid 1990's... and typical for his interest, he sold it only a few years after completion. I don't know its history afterwards. But I don't think he'd have kept that small inward dent on the inside of the nose prow as seen in the trunk, though the nose looks very well done and has no exterior sign of the small dent.

I guess no one caught my hint. That 67 belonged to me. This Ghia was a stalled project that I purchased back in 2008 from a Samba member who lives back in Illinois. Over the next few years, I and the people I hired brought it back to what you see on the BaT auction. I doubt there was much done to it since I sold it to the VW dealership back in 2012...except they cracked the glovebox laminate.Sad It was displayed on their showroom floor alongside many other vintage VWS. I was told that Volkswagen no longer wanted vintage cars on the saleroom floor and that Volkswagen wanted the dealerships to display only new cars. There was a used car dealer in Southern California that purchased the 1967 Karmann Ghia vert along with many of the vintage VWS from the VW dealership in 2020. He listed them all for sale (individually) here in the classifieds. He also listed the 1954 Supercharged Beetle on BaT and you can see the 1967 Karmann Ghia convertible in the background in a few of the pictures.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
wasn't sure what a Frunk lock was... No worries I have big fingers as well on a small keyboard...and a bottle of fine Bourbon as well!!

Frunk = FRont trUNK
Not a typo
Most mid and rear engine cars have them Wink

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Been around AC VW's my whole life and never heard that term before...Glad to know I learned something new after all these years!!! Another good day for me, thanks!
Jeff

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

theghiagirl wrote:
Rome wrote:
theghiagirl wrote:

I guess no one caught my hint. That 67 belonged to me. This Ghia was a stalled project that I purchased back in 2008 from a Samba member who lives back in Illinois. Over the next few years, I and the people I hired brought it back to what you see on the BaT auction. I doubt there was much done to it since I sold it to the VW dealership back in 2012...except they cracked the glovebox laminate.Sad It was displayed on their showroom floor alongside many other vintage VWS. I was told that Volkswagen no longer wanted vintage cars on the saleroom floor and that Volkswagen wanted the dealerships to display only new cars. There was a used car dealer in Southern California that purchased the 1967 Karmann Ghia vert along with many of the vintage VWS from the VW dealership in 2020. He listed them all for sale (individually) here in the classifieds. He also listed the 1954 Supercharged Beetle on BaT and you can see the 1967 Karmann Ghia convertible in the background in a few of the pictures.

At first I was thinking it was the Cherry Red convertible I spoke to you about but then realized that was a 66. No wonder it’s such a nice sympathetic restoration.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

theghiagirl wrote:

I suspected it had to be you, Lisa- it's a gorgeous Ghia, one I'd be proud to own and I am not a huge fan of red. It's a good thing we don't need another one otherwise I'd be looking at how to drain a bank account (or two) right now. I am certain this is not going to go cheap!
Doch leider musst du von uns gehn
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 110, 111, 112  Next
Jump to:
Page 29 of 112

Jump to: