Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What are these?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugcity4154
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: What are these? Reply with quote

Anyone know what these are (circled in red)? I'm working on my 1979 Beetle chassis, just trying to understand where all the lines go to. Or does anyone have a good diagram of where all hoses/cables go?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: What are these? Reply with quote

Aren't those the fuel lines that run inside the center tunnel? The other ends of those two steel lines come out from the two frame horns that bracket the transmission. Blow air the them one at a time to determine which is which.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: What are these? Reply with quote

Wild guess here, it looks like the supply and return fuel lines for the fuel injection system.
bugcity4154
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What are these? Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
Aren't those the fuel lines that run inside the center tunnel? The other ends of those two steel lines come out from the two frame horns that bracket the transmission. Blow air the them one at a time to determine which is which.

Ahhh that makes sense! But wouldn't they both blow air either direction? Is there a way I can determine in/out from engine? I haven't taken the engine off the chassis yet (doing things one at a time so I don't screw anything up!)
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What are these? Reply with quote

bugcity4154 wrote:
But wouldn't they both blow air either direction? Is there a way I can determine in/out from engine?

My suggestion to blow air thru the line is to determine which of the two lines up front come out the left rear frame horn, and which comes out the right frame horn. If there some identifier on the lines so you can tell which is which?

If both lines are the same diameter (7mm?) I guess it doesn't matter which is used for tank to engine and which is regulator return to tank.
For the the earlier carberated Beetles there was a single 5mm steel line that ran from the front and exited the left rear frame horn.

bugcity4154 wrote:
I haven't taken the engine off the chassis yet (doing things one at a time so I don't screw anything up!)

So the pic you posted is NOT your car? That would explain why you are asking. I was wondering how someone could disassemble their car down to the pan and not know what those lines were for. Shocked
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
bugcity4154
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What are these? Reply with quote

Correct! Not my car... found this image in the gallery, but I'm going about this very cautiously before taking apart my car... my first time! Thank you both for the responses!
TK-CS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What are these? Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:

My suggestion to blow air thru the line is to determine which of the two lines up front come out the left rear frame horn, and which comes out the right frame horn.

Both come out of the left frame horn.
But anyway one has to determine which is which to connect engine and fuel tank in the right way.
WC:
'77 Audi NSU Ro80
'88 GTI 16V
'91 Corrado G60
Daily:
'04 Passat Wagon 2.0TDI
'13 Passat Wagon 2.0TSI
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: