Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

License plate light cover
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OtisGore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:19 am    Post subject: License plate light cover Reply with quote

I hope this doesn't turn out to be one of those "dumb question" posts, but here goes...

Are the wider license plate light covers from late 60s Bugs ('65 to 67 I think) the same as the ones on the late model short decklid '68 to '79 Bugs?

I have a "65 that I'm busy rebuilding and it has the narrow "nose" style decklid ...what I'm aiming to do is emulate the wider light cover look.

Is it as simple as finding a late model decklid to take the light cover from Question
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: License plate light cover Reply with quote

Look through this topic...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=490378

There are subtle differences / changes between the 63 - 66 decklids themselves beyond just the license light housing. But basically, the "nose" type light housing ended with the 63 model year, an "intermediate" larger, flatter one was used from 64 - 66, and a slightly larger one used again from 67 - 74. The later fuel injected beetles had another variation of license light housing with raised "lines" embossed on it.

Previously owned: 72 "Baja Champion SE" Spec. Edition Super Beetle bought NEW; 79 Convertible bought NEW; 67 type 1 savanna beige; 67 2.0 911S; 73 2.4 911T; 63 356 T6 B Cabriolet; 64 356 SC sunroof coupe; 72 Type-3 Squareback; 68 + 69 Type-3 Fastbacks; 87 Vanagon GL Wasserboxer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OtisGore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: License plate light cover Reply with quote

67conv wrote:
Look through this topic...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=490378

There are subtle differences / changes between the 63 - 66 decklids themselves beyond just the license light housing. But basically, the "nose" type light housing ended with the 63 model year, an "intermediate" larger, flatter one was used from 64 - 66, and a slightly larger one used again from 67 - 74. The later fuel injected beetles had another variation of license light housing with raised "lines" embossed on it.

Thanks for the info and for pointing out the decklid thread Smile

Here in South Africa however, I don't think we ever got this version on our '64 - '66 models. They all looked like '63 style...right up to the change in '67.
I was kinda hoping I could salvage one off a 70s decklid and make it fit. Looks like I'll have ship one in from the States.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: License plate light cover Reply with quote

You may literally be the only person I’ve seen go from the small light to the larger one. Usually people are trying to backdate theirs to look older with the smaller light. If the smaller is correct, why change it?
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
OtisGore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: License plate light cover Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
You may literally be the only person I’ve seen go from the small light to the larger one. Usually people are trying to backdate theirs to look older with the smaller light. If the smaller is correct, why change it?

like i said in the previous post...the small light is ALL we have here in South Africa.
After speaking to some local guys earlier I found out that the bigger one was never an option on Bugs built here.
I guess the fact that its a rarity where I'm from, essentially makes it more desirable Laughing
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: License plate light cover Reply with quote

OtisGore wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

like i said in the previous post...the small light is ALL we have here in South Africa.
After speaking to some local guys earlier I found out that the bigger one was never an option on Bugs built here.
I guess the fact that its a rarity where I'm from, essentially makes it more desirable Laughing

Yes I read your post. Like I said it’s just ironic. Everyone here takes the large ones off and small ones on. Rarely the other way around. Same with the turn signals. People always out the peanut turn signals on.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: License plate light cover Reply with quote

I get the concept of wanting something a little different. But I too was confused by the desire to put the larger one on as I think the smaller ones look cooler, and if they're original equipment and small, then that's the perfect combination.

I've occasionally considered putting the smaller one on my '65, but of course, I know it's wrong, and anyone knowing VWs would know it's wrong, and it would probably stand out like a sore thumb if I did it anyway. So I'm content with my wider, original versions on both my '65s.

I think the worst that can happen is that you'll be making holes in an original deck lid to install it, but it sounds like you have lots of them down there, so.
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: License plate light cover Reply with quote

OtisGore, I completely get the idea of wanting to go to the bigger light. I'm a fan of euro tails here in the states and people in europe tend to use US spec lights to set theirs apart or go for a look. More power to ya for wanting to be unique in your scene there.

'67 L41 Sedan 117333192
'67 L41 Vert 157343589
'67 L19K Vert 157452166
'67 L19K Vert ??????
'67 L282 Vert 157419653
'67 L620 Sedan 117534350 (Sold)
'67 L54 Vert 15745800 (Parted out)
'52 Split based Devin
OtisGore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: License plate light cover Reply with quote

Jos.Hall wrote:
OtisGore, I completely get the idea of wanting to go to the bigger light. I'm a fan of euro tails here in the states and people in europe tend to use US spec lights to set theirs apart or go for a look. More power to ya for wanting to be unique in your scene there.

thanks bud Smile
... that was all I was sayin' ....damn, can't a guy wanna be a little different Rolling Eyes

Laughing
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: License plate light cover Reply with quote

OtisGore wrote:
Jos.Hall wrote:

thanks bud Smile
... that was all I was sayin' ....damn, can't a guy wanna be a little different Rolling Eyes

Laughing

Unacceptable. You must comply. You can only be different how we say you can be different. Now get in line peasant!

/sarcasm for anyone without a sense of it.
OtisGore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: License plate light cover Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
OtisGore wrote:
Jos.Hall wrote:

thanks bud Smile

Laughing

Unacceptable. You must comply. You can only be different how we say you can be different. Now get in line peasant!

/sarcasm for anyone without a sense of it.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

on a serious note though....i'm not looking to make my '65 look like a split, or a 1303...My plan was to stick to the period correct pieces, just from a different territory.

I can't wait to hear what people have to say about me wanting to import front fenders for my future '67 build.
I think the European and South African manufactured 67s had all the same exterior cues of the US 67, except for the tell-tale flat headlights in the "horn-grilled" fenders. Our 67s carried on with the fenders of the previous year, and made the change to flat headlights only in '68. (so in essence, we never ever had a "one year only" front fender Crying or Very sad )

So, of course, when i build my dream '67 Very Happy i'll be looking to fit y'alls iconic front fenders Wink ....still period correct, just from a different territory Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: