Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transaxle ID
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eriebugger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Transaxle ID Reply with quote

I picked up 4 IRS transaxles from a guy yesterday who was planning to take them to a scrap yard. They are from his dad's garage (recently passed). I don't think they were likely junk. Anyway, I'm trying to identify them. 3 have the code AT stamped on them so they look to be from super beetles but the other 1 is stamped AV25024 which makes it a February 25, 1974 mfg. The closest I can find to that code is AU which indicates the same trans but with Limited Slip Differential. It certainly looks like a V not a U in the code. Anybody have a thought on what I have? How could I tell if it has the limited slip feature? Outwardly they all look the same.
1974 Super beetle(project)
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle ID Reply with quote

Sweet!

The AT transaxles have a 3.88 ring & pinion with 3.78/2.06/1.26/.93 1st-4th gears.

The AV transaxle is from a Thing, and will have a 4.12 ring & pinion with 3.78/2.06/1.26/.93 1st-4th gears. The limited slip differentials are pretty rare. If you can easily turn one CV cup one way, and the other cup turns the opposite direction, you don’t have a lsd if you want to double check.

If you gave him scrap value, which would be maybe $15-$20 each, you made out pretty good!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eriebugger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle ID Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I tried rotating the CV cup and it doesn't appear to be a LSD, rotates opposite. Bummer! I was pretty excited about that idea as the 74 Super that I am rebuilding will be a year round DD & sometime trail buggy. The gear ratios in the Thing tranny should be a better bet though, even without the LSD.
I did get a great deal on the transaxles as I also got an early IRS bus transaxle, all 5 trans for $50.00.
1974 Super beetle(project)
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle ID Reply with quote

The factory LSD’s are pretty rare. Let me know through a personal message if you are not wanting to keep them all, and would want to sell any of them?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: