Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dyno strap location
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Dyno strap location Reply with quote

I'm taking the bug to the chassis dyno tomorrow. Trying to be as prepared as possible. I was curious where everyone was strapping the back of the car at? Guessing to be around 225-250hp.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Dyno strap location Reply with quote

Shackles off the rear transmission cradle (steel solid mount)
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Dyno strap location Reply with quote

I've run them off the torsion housing. Its going to depend on the location of the tie downs on the floor. Just don't wrap them around your axles lol
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Dyno strap location Reply with quote

Ok thanks. I've watched a few dyno vids and it looks like they move around kind of a lot. Looks sketchy!
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Dyno strap location Reply with quote

HotStreetVw wrote:
I've run them off the torsion housing. Its going to depend on the location of the tie downs on the floor. Just don't wrap them around your axles lol

Same. JBA strapped mine to the torsion housing.
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Dyno strap location Reply with quote

Torsion housing. Mine barely moved at all. My muffler was kinda in the way. They used a chain on that side.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Dyno strap location Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Also i should edit, i was thinking 225-250hp to the flywheel. So i will more likely be in the 175-200 hp range to the wheel.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Dyno strap location Reply with quote

just be sure to post your findings.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Dyno strap location Reply with quote

I made 8 pulls. 3rd was the best. 241hp at 5000 and 262tq at 4500 at close to 20 psi. Settled in to 18 psi for 221 and 243 at the same rpms. All with the belt on.
I have something going on with what seems like the BOV opening at 9-10 psi. So i will most likely replace it. It's a cheap eBay valve.
MS efi
AA 35x40 heads cleaned up by me (know zero about doing it!) with out of the box dual springs
94mm "forged" Mahle pistons
Web 163 on a 112 lobe
Stock rods
Single 50mm tb
Small water to air intercooler
E85
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Dyno strap location Reply with quote

Awesome. Congrats on the build.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Dyno strap location Reply with quote

Thanks. Im happy with the results for a cheap build.
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Dyno strap location Reply with quote

You sure it’s your bov opening and not your wastegate? I’m assume you’re venting to atmosphere.. is there change in the exhaust sound?
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Dyno strap location Reply with quote

I'm not 100% sure. I thought it was the waste gate but on the dyno it did the same thing and i turned the ebc from 0 to 100. It boosts so fast it's hard to tell. I bought that BOV block off and will see if it still does it. Also it sure sounds like it's coming from the driver's side where the bov is. Waste gate is on the passenger side. Vented to atmosphere.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Dyno strap location Reply with quote

Here is a printout of the last 3 pulls out of 8 total. This is 18 psi.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Dyno strap location Reply with quote

What was your AFR during the pulls under boost?
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Dyno strap location Reply with quote

It varies. Probably 12.5 to 11.5 afr. I'm on E85 so I'm a bit richer than gasoline.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: