Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Summer Road Trip Report! We visit Utah and Colorado!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Summer Road Trip Report! We visit Utah and Colorado! Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
I enjoyed the second video. That section of 550 dropping into Ouray is incredible.

I had the same issues, as outlined in my little trip report, with throngs of people. I can't imagine how many more you dealt with on 4th of July weekend. With international travel still iffy, it seems like everybody in the continental US came to Colorado this summer.

From my experience, Colorado is best explored in early May and late September/early October AFTER the aspens turn. There are less tourists and while the established campgrounds are closed, the dispersed camping is more easily found. The specter of bad weather is there as well, though. I almost got trapped in a blizzard on Loveland Pass on May 15th once in my last van.

Also if you're willing to beat up your van a bit, you can get deeper into the mountains and find spots where fifth wheels and RV's fear to tread. Smile

Even with too many folks everywhere, I hope you enjoyed the trip! The footage is fantastic.

Yeah it was a zoo but in the back of my mind, I knew that going in so it was not a huge surprise. Early October would be HIGH on my list of times to go back, especially Kebler Pass.
I am more than willing to drag the van down some rocky roads but the twins do get a bit uncomfortable with it so we compromise on what roads we explore. If it was just Nancy and I we would have taken some dirt roads looking for camp.

Been super busy this week and haven't started the third video yet but we hang out in Crested Butte (our favorite town) for 4th of July and find an awesome camp off Kebler Pass.
Thanks so much for the comments!
nate
That Baldwin Life YouTube Channel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rorke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Summer Road Trip Report! We visit Utah and Colorado! Reply with quote

Nate,
Great videos and information. What an awesome family experience.

Do you think that it will be too crazy still for me leaving Michigan with no set plans?

I was planning to get to Crested Butte, Creede, then who knows?.
The Canyon Lands area looks ultra cool.
Utah and Grande Canyons look frighteningly crowded. But people are telling me that it is doable / worth it.

I have my daughter for a bit and figured that I could fly her home instead of hustling back.

The bus is mechanically sound. Limited slip. Subaru 2.2. Westy set up. Good new tires. ARB compressor aboard.
No recovery gear. No Jerry can or mount.

Thanks.

Rorke

1988 SeaCow Edition
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Summer Road Trip Report! We visit Utah and Colorado! Reply with quote

Rorke wrote:
Nate,
Great videos and information. What an awesome family experience.

Do you think that it will be too crazy still for me leaving Michigan with no set plans?

I was planning to get to Crested Butte, Creede, then who knows?.
The Canyon Lands area looks ultra cool.
Utah and Grande Canyons look frighteningly crowded. But people are telling me that it is doable / worth it.

I have my daughter for a bit and figured that I could fly her home instead of hustling back.

The bus is mechanically sound. Limited slip. Subaru 2.2. Westy set up. Good new tires. ARB compressor aboard.
No recovery gear. No Jerry can or mount.

Thanks.

Rorke

1988 SeaCow Edition

As long as you feel comfortable not knowing where you are going to sleep, then of course! Canyonlands was nice because it is so open the crowds didn't seem to bad. But you probably won't be able to camp near the park without reservations.
No plans and just an area to explore is the best way to travel. Van sounds like it's more than capable of handling the trip and I'm sure you'll have a great time.
Gonna be hot though!
nate
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Summer Road Trip Report! We visit Utah and Colorado! Reply with quote

Great videos - again, thx for sharing. How did the RJE 2.2 manage with the elevation gains? Eisenhower Pass?
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Summer Road Trip Report! We visit Utah and Colorado! Reply with quote

coqcitywesty wrote:
Great videos - again, thx for sharing. How did the RJE 2.2 manage with the elevation gains? Eisenhower Pass?

Slow. But not bad. Second gear for a lot of the longer, steeper climbs with the oil cooler fan running.
We never made it as far east to go through Eisenhower. The steepest climbs we found were inside Mesa Verde where we almost needed to go down to first gear but the climbs were very short.
A nice new FAS TDI would have been nice!
nate
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Summer Road Trip Report! We visit Utah and Colorado! Reply with quote

Updated for the part two write up back on page one under the video
nate
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Summer Road Trip Report! We visit Utah and Colorado! Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for posting the detailed writeup, pics and videos, very nice! I also like how you and your family are able to adjust on the fly to closed roads/crowds/unexpected situations, etc and still enjoy the road trip (some other folks may give up and drive back to their home base).

I've been only once to Colorado for a short trip and your trip report is reminding me that it's a beautiful state that I need to pay a visit soon.

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Summer Road Trip Report! We visit Utah and Colorado! Reply with quote

pnwkayaker wrote:
Thanks a lot for posting the detailed writeup, pics and videos, very nice! I also like how you and your family are able to adjust on the fly to closed roads/crowds/unexpected situations, etc and still enjoy the road trip (some other folks may give up and drive back to their home base).

I've been only once to Colorado for a short trip and your trip report is reminding me that it's a beautiful state that I need to pay a visit soon.

Thanks! Colorado was something special. Part three really shows that and I hope to have those pics ready and the report written soon. We have the video on our Youtube page if you want to check it out. I will post it here as soon as the written report is done.
nate
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Summer Road Trip Report! We visit Utah and Colorado! Reply with quote

Well there is a very good chance I will not finish writing the trip report anytime soon, we camp too much! We have Descend coming up and then we head out to Alvord for a bit so just to finish this thread, here are parts three and four.

Hope you enjoyed this summer trip, we sure did!
nate

Link

Link

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: