Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

re -registering as special construction in ca. Should I?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:16 pm    Post subject: re -registering as special construction in ca. Should I? Reply with quote

As the title suggests, I currently have a buggy, that is registered as a '67 bug. It has been that way for 15 plus years, and my insurance company has pictures of it, and knows. I am currently contemplating doing the work to get a special construction title, as part of a refresh. Is it possible? worth it? Anybody done it?
Its probable that I may be moving out of CA in the next year or 2. If so, is it better as special construction, or leave it alone?
Thanks.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: re -registering as special construction in ca. Should I? Reply with quote

Technically by the DMV rules it is a Special Construction ..

I would think long and hard about any changes if you are planning on leaving state...

You may be opening a can of worms you might regret...

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: re -registering as special construction in ca. Should I? Reply with quote

Like Dale said: The less you change now, the less you'll have to explain later after you've crossed state lines with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stevebaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: re -registering as special construction in ca. Should I? Reply with quote

last I heard there is a huge backlog of special construction cars in California waiting to get processed. they only do so many a year. some people have been waiting years. they put applicants in a pool and draw out just so many. best check into this. since the DMV is totally upside down with their process since covid. you will start getting the forms and then a visit with the highway patrol with the car for inspection. I wouldnt step into this until you move to another state as long as the car is legally titled and registered to you. there is also private registration services available if your in socal.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: re -registering as special construction in ca. Should I? Reply with quote

In missouri you would sacrifice that title for a special const title.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: