Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How's my idle? 1.9L WBX 1984
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
randalieren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:57 pm    Post subject: How's my idle? 1.9L WBX 1984 Reply with quote

Just replaced rotor/cap, plugs, cables, air filter, and alternator harness. This is the idle about 30 seconds after being started from cold.

Link

I don't have a really good baseline to compare it to. Does it look/sound healthy to you?

Thanks.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: How's my idle? 1.9L WBX 1984 Reply with quote

Hard to say exactly without being there. Sound quality was erratic for me.
1st, 30 seconds after start up on any old engine is not going to be your best idling any way. So don't worry too much right after start up.
Between cold rings not sealing their best yet, possible carbon build up on the intake valves and adding possible injector spray pattern issues that anyone might have lurking on their older engines, you might want to re-shoot the idle after driving for a bit and engine temps coming up to get a more realistic idea of your true , normal idle.
Did seem like a misfire happening in there, but again, all the above ^^ are possible and you'd want to know if there is a misfire still happening long after you started the engine
My old 1.9 isn't too steady either right after a cold start either as an FWIW. Your Altn belt seems nice and free of wobble too, bonus.... Laughing Laughing
Congratulations on all the work you did... Cool
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: How's my idle? 1.9L WBX 1984 Reply with quote

As mentioned, your idle right after startup isn't likely to be super good, which is why the fuel injection system is designed to add additional fuel/air mix to a cold engine increase the idle speed. If anything you might want to clean out the AAR and maybe adjust it to open a bit more, but you likely want to get a few more data points first. Also, if you haven't done so recently you might want to add some fuel injection cleaner to your fuel tank, this is worth doing once every 10,000 miles or so, or when the rig has sat for a few moons with ethanol laced fuel in the tank.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: