Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hot Rod Baja history piece
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Air George
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject: Hot Rod Baja history piece Reply with quote

I agree hot Rod Baja history piece.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

whoa! that's awesome!! Any story or background on this one? Looks like it's patched together using body components from the later split window bus. What about the chassis? Does it fit on a bug pan?

Air George wrote:

unclespanky wrote:
Piercy could dip those wheel cylinders between his cheek and gums and spit them out rebuilt.

Check us out @
Instagram: DeafVolks & BarndoorBuggy
Air George
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

derRHDmeister wrote:
whoa! that's awesome!! Any story or background on this one? Looks like it's patched together using body components from the later split window bus. What about the chassis? Does it fit on a bug pan?

Air George wrote:

it’s all fiber glass It was cut in half The windshield&dashboard were built like a console that bolts to body. Yea man it fits a shortened and chopped Baja split bus platform. The hood sits over the tool box and the tail section sits over the fuel tank compartment of yes prob a 56 up bus or truck platform. It’s well made a lot of cool details. Same thing but looks more like a cartoon bus then a used jeep I’ve never seen one either. Just discovered it in Florida

Air George
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

Hey. ?Has anybody seen the green one lateley The blue barn one is amazing I’d never change it one bit.
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

Air George wrote:
Hey. ?Has anybody seen the green one lateley The blue barn one is amazing I’d never change it one bit.

That's awesome, I'm amazed at all that was fiberglass. I assumed they welded together sections of the bus.

I have no clue about the green one. I found it off this site and some folks messaged me on Instagram with a few examples. What's your plan for the fiberglass bus body? It looks too cool to ditch, someone should try to put it together.

unclespanky wrote:
Piercy could dip those wheel cylinders between his cheek and gums and spit them out rebuilt.

Check us out @
Air George
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

Oh I didn’t flip page to your reply’s. I love that barndoor buggy if it’s ever in your way I’d like first shot at it. I bought a Baja bus that is very similar to the barn. Not as old not as pretty but. Plan is to fit this fiberglass to it. It’s on its way to me now. It sure looks like it’s going to fit. We’ll see.
Air George
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

I believe these things hav history. Not positive how it started or if it was individuals doing it or. Could of been an industrial purpose at first. Fishin processing cannery. I’ve read about some makeral canneries Maybe they used these for unloading fishing boats or something like that.
Air George
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

A few more pics. I hope I’m not bombing your thread. It’s just I feel these things could of known each other at one time. I do hav a theory on maybe how it possibly ended up adrift in Tampa Florida. Pics of Baja I bought on its way to me. I’m new to forums & uploading gallery photos. But I think I got it!

Air George
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

Air George wrote:
I believe these things hav history. Not positive how it started or if it was individuals doing it or. Could of been an industrial purpose at first. Fishin processing cannery. I’ve read about some makeral canneries Maybe they used these for unloading fishing boats or something like that.

Yes, they definitely do have history/purpose such as farming, hunting, and then motorsports. They started with the "water pumper" buggies, which were basically hot-rodded early pre-40s American bodies or jalopies stripped down for off-road use. Then the VW was introduced, which performed better due to the weight in the back where they needed traction. Gary Emory and Bruce Meyer brought the VWs into the mainstream- the rest was history.

As you can see there's uncanny resemblance to my buggy, apparently, it was the "style" back then: http://davidsclassiccars.com/ford/10408-1941-ford-...buick.html

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

You mentioned farming and I have a farming story. Years ago a friend tells me he knows of a farm where they used old VW buses for hauling produce from the fields to the store front at the road side. None of them run any more and they want to get rid of them. Haul them off for free. I'm thinking score. We head right out there the following day. They had 4-5 buses cut down to the flat above the motor and to the floor in front of that. Even the drivers area was cut down to the top of the wheel wells. All of what was left was completely rusted out from years of sitting outside, hauling crates of fresh fruits and vegetables. Maybe the running gear was good, but I had no place to mess with any of that so I said thank anyway, bought some fresh produce and said good bye.

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air George
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

Hey where is that fruit stand farmers market. What state what route. Did it have a name. I’m tge kinda guy that will go dig em up. Think about it. Pm me if you can recall. I’ll make the call. Never know stuff could still be laying their
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

I’m not too far from you, in NC. When you bring this to the East Coast, we’ll have to get these two together at a show!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air George
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

Cool is that the green machine from Arizona fixed up. Or is that another one? Mine is becoming a fiberglass bodied Baja bus. Which must of happened 50yrs ago also. Frame needs to be shortened another 3-4 inches. And it appears it used a bug steer column and box clamped to tge bus beam after some adjustments. That will clear up the foot room at pedals. While putting the steer wheel where it needs to be.

derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

Fish wrote:
You mentioned farming and I have a farming story. Years ago a friend tells me he knows of a farm where they used old VW buses for hauling produce from the fields to the store front at the road side. None of them run any more and they want to get rid of them. Haul them off for free. I'm thinking score. We head right out there the following day. They had 4-5 buses cut down to the flat above the motor and to the floor in front of that. Even the drivers area was cut down to the top of the wheel wells. All of what was left was completely rusted out from years of sitting outside, hauling crates of fresh fruits and vegetables. Maybe the running gear was good, but I had no place to mess with any of that so I said thank anyway, bought some fresh produce and said good bye.

Love stories like this, too bad they couldn't be saved.

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

Air George wrote:
Cool is that the green machine from Arizona fixed up. Or is that another one? Mine is becoming a fiberglass bodied Baja bus. Which must of happened 50yrs ago also. Frame needs to be shortened another 3-4 inches. And it appears it used a bug steer column and box clamped to tge bus beam after some adjustments. That will clear up the foot room at pedals. While putting the steer wheel where it needs to be.

Check if the body fits a bug or ghia pan because based on the design of 3rd pic, it may be plausible it will fit a shortened bug body the same way they did with Manx-based bodies? You might be able to repurpose the bus into another buggy of any design. Think

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
Air George
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

I see what your seeing. Tge way it tapers in upfront like a bug pan. But notice the rear firewall matches the bus stamped floor metal perfectley. The side rails of body also are corrugated to fit bus floor. It’s been determined that this is a proto type one off body still in plug form it’s construction is old. Tge taper upfront was necessary for front tire clearance. Like ckipy I found a split bus with no rot already cut down. It still needs to be 3 more inches shorter. Which I’m preparing to do. After designing this body. Somebody may hav also realized a bug pan is more suitable. So it’s a bus chassis. So far I added a bug steering box on bus beam so column lines up thru the dash board as tge body shows it did. I plan to use a napoleons hat and short tunnel piece at toe board in place of top hat. So that it will fit and use a bug pedal cluster. Shifter and e brake will be tge bud bracket moved back again. Lot of work this kit would of taken. Is why I bet this idea was scrapped initially. I bet. To preserve dune bug history. I’m building it on a split bus chassis as it was intended to. Besides that. It will not be grooming the sand on beach like my bug chassis buggy. Look how high it is lol I’m psyched It will be up high out of the ruts.
Air George
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

Air George
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

Other reasons for keeping it bus. The fuel tank. Bus tank sits in the bus tank shelf in its straps and lines right up and out with the existing fill neck hole in body. If it were on a bug chassis. It would be back to tge drawing board. !!!! Instead of back to tge beach right quick. Feel like I’m keeping it real and Sailing right thru it’s re construction. This body was found in Quincy/Tampa Florida & Tgeirs good reason how it got their say in 1981 from west coast (punta Cana moved from costa to Tampa in 81. Punta previously Jensen marine Costa Mesa ca. Well in 68 Jack Jensen sold boat building facility to punta. 1981 punta moved entire facility to Tampa. Hey you know when u hav a good feeling about something. It’s usually true. I’m a dreamer always was. But this body is significant no if’s ands or butts about it. And if I’m wrong and it’s goofy’s bus that’s cool too. I will rock it regardless. Tge red primer on this thing proves to be guide coat. For block sanding. Once u hand make a mold using coarse woven roven fiberglass. It’s usually ruff and needs a lot of polishing and detail work before a negative casting can be pulled from it. Is what I’m learning Well it’s safe to say that never happened.
Air George
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: