Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cleaning and painting pan with what?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doing good..

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
bugdust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.masterseriesct.com/

I blasted a '64 pan with 30/60 Black Beauty (fine coal slag). I welded in orange Wolfsburg West pans first (this was a few years ago). I flipped the pan over and hammered the seam tight. Then, I coated it with two coats of silver Masterseries (both sides) followed by two coats of Masterseries black, all applied with foam brushes. This stuff is tough!! I had to run a tap into a few bolt holes. I did not have to use seam sealer at all. Masterseries was a little less expensive than POR-15 the last time I bought it. One quart will do two coats on both sides easily. Wear gloves. Don't get it on ANYTHING it shouldn't be on...it's tough stuff. Follow the directions (easy) and you will not be disappointed.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

kuta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update, decided to sandblast the pan and then do KBS Coatings system. So far so good, now need some new parts.
early55oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: floor pan Reply with quote

rustoleum gloss black brushed on $8

was once this...

wrong pans ..but they fit

Rusties
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I painted a pan top and bottom with por-15 about 10 years ago. It still looks like the day I painted it. It worked so well, I painted another one last week. Great product.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you got the pan blasted. Honestly for the cost to have someone blast the pan and get rid of 60 years of rust and grime is worth every penny if you are going to do a full resto. You can find a commercial blaster just about any where and to pay them an hour or two to do a perfect job is not out of line. I had a shop do my 57 (well, 71) pan for my race car and it was worth the cost just in the amount of time it freed up to do other things on the car. I got the pan back, blasted, and painted with commercial paint, the stuff they use on heavy equipment, and started bolting stuff on that I had put together while it was at their shop. Never underestimate the value of your time. Sometimes you are further ahead farming stuff out even if it costs you some money. And now I know there is NO rust lurking anywhere under my car.

brad
vw57drvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Por 15 is what I used. It has held up well with one exception. A few weeks ago I noticed my lights were brighter than normal. Checked and was getting over 18 volts at the battery. It caused the battery to boil and leaked onto my new pans. Well, it peeled up the por 15 and started oxidizing the metal. I was under the impression that por 15 was supposed to unaffected by battery acid.
1958kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning and painting pan with what? Reply with quote

Hi, I am about to have my pan blasted. How does everyone stop it getting into all the places you don't want it?
David
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning and painting pan with what? Reply with quote

1958kafer wrote:
Hi, I am about to have my pan blasted. How does everyone stop it getting into all the places you don't want it?

Use tape over all the holes leading into the centre tunnel.

*October '54 Ragtop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: