Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I may have wiped the lobes off my cam. Why?
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject: I may have wiped the lobes off my cam. Why? Reply with quote

Well, we were out on a nice ride last weekend and I dropped a cylinder. I pulled over to see what it was as I have had issues with dirt in the idle circuit of my duals (EMPI). I found it was #1 cylinder but the carb cleaner would not blow it out so I limped her home. I went thru the carb, put it back on and decided to adjust my valves while I was at it.............. #1 intake was off it's rocker. The cromo tube had mushroomed over on one end, and the exhaust push rod was loose. I pulled them all and the rest were fine. I have spares so I made two new ones to the proper length, and when I put them in, they were way too short.
The only thing I can think is that the cam has the #1 cylinder lobes wiped off, for some reason. What else could it be?
The only thing I can see that "might" have been a small issue is the push rods were slightly rubbing on the tubes at the "head end" and wore the rods shiny. They ran really close to the mouth of the tube but they adjusted OK. (I have the screw type pushrod tubes you can take apart.)
Any ideas why this would happen? I only have a couple summers on this engine since completely rebuilt to a 1915.
Any help/advice GREATLY appreciated.
Not a happy camper.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: I may have wiped the lobes off my cam. Why? Reply with quote

#1 and #3 use the same lobes, so if #1 is shot then #3 should be also.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: I may have wiped the lobes off my cam. Why? Reply with quote

Thanks Glenn. I did not know that. I did just go look at an old cam and got an education moment. Smile So now I have to figure out what is going on.
THANK YOU!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: I may have wiped the lobes off my cam. Why? Reply with quote

New cam & lifters during rebuild? What valve springs did you use?

bryan
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: I may have wiped the lobes off my cam. Why? Reply with quote

Oh yeah, complete rebuild. Even new Panchito's.
I am crazy busy with work and getting my place ready for a home tour so I haven't been able to look back at it again but, any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
If the cam is good - which seems to be the case - then I guess it's on the other end, which is equally disturbing.
I guess I may be pulling the head......................
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: I may have wiped the lobes off my cam. Why? Reply with quote

I would try to get a look at the inside of those lifters before taking too much apart.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: I may have wiped the lobes off my cam. Why? Reply with quote

The #1 rocker shaft stud to the head may have pulled a bit.
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: I may have wiped the lobes off my cam. Why? Reply with quote

Ulu, I'll check that! I hope not. That doesn't sound like an easy fix. I'm assuming that would mean stripped threads.
thanks.
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: I may have wiped the lobes off my cam. Why? Reply with quote

Ulu, yep, you were correct. The stud unscrewed a bit. Not sure why or how, especially after I was actually driving it when the cylinder went dead. I'll talk with CB and see where they need to be torqued.
Gentlemen, as always, I greatly appreciate the help.
One more quick question, not worthy of it's own post but, what size is the crank pulley bolt? I've never had a socket for that and always used an adjustable for it and I need to get a socket and do it right.....somehow. The way I have mine set up, the license plate is in the way. I'll have to get creative, as always. Smile
Thanks.
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: I may have wiped the lobes off my cam. Why? Reply with quote

Skulptorchaz wrote:
... what size is the crank pulley bolt?
30mm

Skulptorchaz wrote:
... stud unscrewed a bit. Not sure why or how, especially after I was actually driving it ...
I too was driving when such happen'd. In my case, the rocker shaft stud pull'd metal threads out of the head; all due to overheating. Check your stud and head threads carefully! My guess is that an exhaust valve and surrounding area got so hot, it warp'd to where the valve stuck open. This allows the pushrod to come out from its cup at the other end of that valve's rocker. So the pushrod is freely getting push'd up all around the rocker. Vibrations may have only loosen'd the stud; or, the pushrod eventually hits the rocker closer to the pushrod shaft, pushing the whole shaft up which tears threads. Hope yours is not that severe.
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: I may have wiped the lobes off my cam. Why? Reply with quote

MrGoodtunes,
Thanks....and thanks!
The threads are intact (thankfully). I'm getting a new set of chrom-mo from CB.They sent me an email about it and I have a call into them to find out torque and if Loc-Tite is a good idea or not.
Thank you again my friend!
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: I may have wiped the lobes off my cam. Why? Reply with quote

Blue loc-tite and 14 ft lb. torque on the nut.
Put a good washer under the nut too.
I usually put the stud into the head hand tight with the loc-tite

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: I may have wiped the lobes off my cam. Why? Reply with quote

The stock washer was the wavey springy kind so if it is missing find another or use a lock washer. A standard flat washer may work loose again.
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: I may have wiped the lobes off my cam. Why? Reply with quote

Thanks again gents. I got new chrom-mo studs, washers and nuts (15mm) and replaced them. I snugged the studs in to where the length was exactly flush with the top of the nut with washer. I also used blue loc-tite.
It looks like when my builder put the heads together, he only loc-tited 2 of the 4 studs.
Hopefully this will cure my problem.
Thanks again for all the help!!!
Chaz
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: I may have wiped the lobes off my cam. Why? Reply with quote

put some chromoly studs in them and lock tight the studs. all the studs Ive gotten in cb heads were shit. not sure wht they put junk studs in them... unless they are now putting good ones in.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: I may have wiped the lobes off my cam. Why? Reply with quote

Rocker studs working their way out of the head has been a constant struggle with me on my Bonneville engine. Its happened twice. Once with a chromoly stock style stud and once with a Pauter stud. Both times I was fishing broken studs out of the head. I forget the thread locker that's on them now, but it was supposed to be the best. I also double nut them.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: I may have wiped the lobes off my cam. Why? Reply with quote

I remember a lot of Volkswagens coming into the gas station with noisy valves. Generally speaking, it was the left front stud or nut (#3) that was loose.

I was a show off in those days, so people were always amazed when I would pop off the valve cover, tighten one nut, and then their car was running fine.

Of course sometimes you’d get one with the burned #3 exhaust valve, & sell them a rebuilt engine.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: I may have wiped the lobes off my cam. Why? Reply with quote

be sure to breakleen out the holes real good so the locktight works!! blue, red, or even gelseal works just fine. I use purople on most stuff..I have a few bottels of it. and I do like to get stuff appart when I want to.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: