Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vintage Speed Shifter VS. Berg
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oc92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject: Vintage Speed Shifter VS. Berg Reply with quote

I don't know anyone locally who has either of these shifters so I cannot try them out. Thought I would post up here and see if people could chime in. I am leaning towards the VS one based on looks if they are about the same. Any feedback on the VS one or how it compares the the Berg? thanks

72 bus
70 bug
96 mx5
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Shifter VS. Berg Reply with quote

I think the VS is the way to go. Although I have been told a shifter like this is not very good on a bus transaxle. I can’t remember the details but it wears something internally out faster. A bug Transaxle is different and can handle the short shifting better.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755167&highlight=vintage+speed+shifter
’65 Deluxe Build
oc92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Shifter VS. Berg Reply with quote

Thanks for that link. I am indeed looking for Bay specific info because as you mentioned, it is a different beast than the Beetle. I will read up on that other forum now. Anyone have Bay specific feedback about the VS one? She sure is pretty... but like in life, that isn't all to consider...

72 bus
70 bug
96 mx5
BYeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Shifter VS. Berg Reply with quote

I have the Berg so I can only speak to that. But I do recommend it. Very well made and shifts are firm and clean. Also, regarding premature wear on internals; as I remember if you still shift slowly and don't quickly shove it into gear then you're okay. Others can chime in though.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Shifter VS. Berg Reply with quote

My bus has a Berg and I love it. Actually it was just about the first thing I installed when I bought the bus 4 years ago. I’ve installed several on customer buses and everyone loves them. Never had any negative affects on any transmission that I am aware of. That said, sometimes they bolt right in and other times I need to futz with them to shift well. Keep in mind that if you are currently having shifting problems, the Berg shifter won’t solve those problems, probably.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Magion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Shifter VS. Berg Reply with quote

For me its Gene Berg, do not have personal experience yet but whenever I will have some spare change Gene Berg it will be. With ball head and all black powder coated to match my late bay wibe. Oh I am so excited!
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Shifter VS. Berg Reply with quote

In my opinion the only really good aftermarket shifter is the Berg, and I've used most all of them. In fairness, Vintage Speed has made many changes to their Bus shifters in the past 5 years or so and I have not used the most recent versions. The early ones were not good due to a design flaw of making the main shaft in two pieces, since changed I believe.

For the simple reason that buying a Berg is supporting a small USA business (or could be Canadian!) I'd opt for the Berg, but it's also a superior product to the others. Stiffer, more direct shifting, excellent manufacturing and finishing, and bulletproof design.

An original Hurst Bus shifter is as good, or better than the Berg, but they are complete unobtainium (or silly expensive) so it's a bit academic.
oc92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Shifter VS. Berg Reply with quote

Good points about the Berg for sure. Thank you for that. I have seen the ball option instead of the handle and that does improve the look I was going for.

Regarding improvements- I know VS also changed the bushing that goes in the cup for a more snug fit. They are so expensive I just felt like fishing around a bit.

Anyone know how VS has made improvements to the shift plate adjustment procedure or is that marketing?

The Berg family has made many contributions to the industry for sure! I have supported them twice in the past myself through purchases.

72 bus
70 bug
96 mx5
k@rlos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Shifter VS. Berg Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
I think the VS is the way to go. Although I have been told a shifter like this is not very good on a bus transaxle. I can’t remember the details but it wears something internally out faster. A bug Transaxle is different and can handle the short shifting better.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755167&highlight=vintage+speed+shifter

Lol, what nonsense. The VS shifter is like all their other stuff, over priced junk, the shifters snap.

The berg is the best on the market
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Shifter VS. Berg Reply with quote

As Gene said; Buy the best, cry once...
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Shifter VS. Berg Reply with quote

I am one of Gary/Aeromech's customers that he installed a Berg shifter in our bus. It works perfectly, precisely and will probably outlive the bus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oc92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Shifter VS. Berg Reply with quote

I typically do no post reviews but after putting in the Vintage Speed shifter I felt I should update my original post. Yes, I decided to go with the VS.

Install- easy and fast
Adjust- first attempt resulted in perfect shifts

The reason I was looking at a new shifter was because I have replaced every bushing and coupling except the nosecone but was still having sloppy shifts, finding a NOS shifter and plate is not easy or affordable, and the VS one looks great.

Shifts are way cleaner now and tight. The throw is shorter and the height is good.

I got it through Aircooled.net... arrived in about a week or so.

72 bus
70 bug
96 mx5
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Shifter VS. Berg Reply with quote

Thanks for the review! I really like the looks of that shifter, glad to hear it is good quality. I love my VS exhaust!
’65 Deluxe Build
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Shifter VS. Berg Reply with quote

Glad it worked for you. How much was it?
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
oc92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Shifter VS. Berg Reply with quote

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Vintage-Speed-Classic-Shifter-155-795-50LHD-p/155-795-50lhd.htm

$305

72 bus
70 bug
96 mx5
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Shifter VS. Berg Reply with quote

I've always thought the Berg was untouchable and just the gold standard.

That is... until this shifter came out recently:
https://www.coolrydescustoms.com/crc-ss-shifters.html

The design, with regards to the internals, is unique.

It's the new sheriff in town
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Shifter VS. Berg Reply with quote

Sorry Meta but your shifter might be smooth as butter but I just hate that Robocop look.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
k@rlos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Shifter VS. Berg Reply with quote

Berg, the vintage speed shifter is like all their other products. Overpriced junk
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Shifter VS. Berg Reply with quote

When you “ miss a shift” in a 60 HP car shaped like a brick, how can you tell?

Is there a missed shift app with Bluetooth?
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Shifter VS. Berg Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Sorry Meta but your shifter might be smooth as butter but I just hate that Robocop look.

i feel you.

the carbon knobs look really bad in a vintage vw imo.
a heavy knob (like a simple stainless ball) would make it shift better too.

perhaps a bit "too CNC" looking too eh? i know they are pretty good about doing custom requests over there, and would probably supply a solid arm without the holes machined in ...

i could see a solid (no holes) sandblast finish arm, a black wrinkle powdercoat base and stock shift knob looking pretty tidy in a bus.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: